Cannot open excel 2000 file

Kari

I have an excel file hanging, can't open it anymore,
and it contains account for 2 years and I haven't got any
copy! Could you please give me a good advice.

The problems started after my PC with Windows 2000/Office
2000 restarted suddenly
while the file was open, and I was at the same time at
Internet. This happened 2-3 times the same day when

I got a phone-call while working in these account
file/sheet, and being on Internet at the same time (ISDN).

I haven't had such problems before.

Kevin Stecyk

Kari wrote...
I have an excel file hanging, can't open it anymore,
and it contains account for 2 years and I haven't got any
copy! Could you please give me a good advice.

The problems started after my PC with Windows 2000/Office
2000 restarted suddenly
while the file was open, and I was at the same time at
Internet. This happened 2-3 times the same day when

I got a phone-call while working in these account
file/sheet, and being on Internet at the same time (ISDN).

I haven't had such problems before.

Try cleaning out your Temp directories, and rebooting. Also see the note
below from Jan Karel Pieterse.

****
From: Jan Karel Pieterse ()
Subject: Re: Cannot open file
Original Format
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.misc
Date: 2002-04-03 05:36:09 PST

Hi,

Options to try and open a corrupt file

- Set calculation to manual
- open the file, but disable macros
- As soon as you've clicked the disable macros button,
press control-pageup or control-pagedown, thus changing
sheets.

If that does not work, try creating a link to the file:

='c:\my documents\[MyFileName.xls]Sheet1'!A1

and copy right and down. This at least gets you the
worksheets values.

Sometimes the Excel viewer enables you to open the file
and copy information out of it.

Also, Excel XP can sometimes repair XL files with trouble.

Lastly: Download the office suite from www dot sun dot com
slash staroffice (awkward spelling to hopefully avoid
another autodeletion of posting...) it's a killer app for
file recovery.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel TA/MVP

****

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Kevin

p.s.: I have XL 2003 and you can send the file to me at (e-mail address removed)
and I will see if I am able to open using a more recent version. If so, I
will save it and send it back.