Excel file doesn't open, or will take long time to open?

I have an excel file hanging, can’t open it anymore, or may be it I wait for very long time it will open agai
The file contains account for 2 years, and I haven’t got any copy!
Could you please give me a good advice

The problems started after my PC with Windows 2000/Office 2000 restarted suddenly
while the file was open, and I was at the same time at Internet. This happened 2-3 times the same day when
(I got a phone-call while working in these account file/sheet, and being on Internet at the same time (ISDN). And therefore? the Pc restarted

I haven’t had such problems before

Kevin Stecyk

Try cleaning out your Temp directories, and rebooting. Also see the note
below from Jan Karel Pieterse.

****
From: Jan Karel Pieterse ()
Subject: Re: Cannot open file
Original Format
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.misc
Date: 2002-04-03 05:36:09 PST

Hi,

Options to try and open a corrupt file

- Set calculation to manual
- open the file, but disable macros
- As soon as you've clicked the disable macros button,
press control-pageup or control-pagedown, thus changing
sheets.

If that does not work, try creating a link to the file:

='c:\my documents\[MyFileName.xls]Sheet1'!A1

and copy right and down. This at least gets you the
worksheets values.

Sometimes the Excel viewer enables you to open the file
and copy information out of it.

Also, Excel XP can sometimes repair XL files with trouble.

Lastly: Download the office suite from www dot sun dot com
slash staroffice (awkward spelling to hopefully avoid
another autodeletion of posting...) it's a killer app for
file recovery.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel TA/MVP

****

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Kevin

p.s.: I have XL 2003 and you can send the file to me at (e-mail address removed)
and I will see if I am able to open using a more recent version. If so, I
will save it and send it back.

Kari said:
I have an excel file hanging, can't open it anymore, or may be it I wait
for very long time it will open again
The file contains account for 2 years, and I haven't got any copy!
Could you please give me a good advice.

The problems started after my PC with Windows 2000/Office 2000 restarted suddenly
while the file was open, and I was at the same time at Internet. This
happened 2-3 times the same day when
(I got a phone-call while working in these account file/sheet, and being
on Internet at the same time (ISDN). And therefore? the Pc restarted)

Thanks to Jan, but I couldn't "Set calculation to manual"
I see the problem is that the excel file take very long time to open.
How long can I wait. I have several times used ctrl+alt+del to stop the task
Has this made any damage to the file?

And sorry but I didn't find the "Calculate Full button". I used the help function in Excel,
but such a button doesn't exist in excel 2000

I downloaded a demo- program "Excel Fix" that opened some rows in the workbook,
and have to buy the program to see the whole file. Do you have any experience with this program

And I have done some cleaning of the harddisk.

Mladen Duricic

Kari said:
Thanks to Jan, but I couldn't "Set calculation to manual".

You will do this setting by opening Tools-->Options menu. Then Select
Calculation tab. You should see options: automatic, automatic except tables,
and manual. Press manual and Ok.

Kevin Stecyk

Kari,

Try sending me the file at (e-mail address removed) . If I am to open it, I will
resave it using a different name and send it back to you.

Regards,
Kevin

Kevin Stecyk

Just as a matter of closure...I did receive Kari workbook. Using XL 2003, I
was able to open it readily. I think XL 2003 is more forgiving than earlier
versions.

Kari had 11 sheets in the workbook, and that amount of data that was in the
workbook seemed to be a lot less than the 1.4 MB size. I saved each sheet
individually, and noticed that the 4th sheet was abnormally large at 1.3 MB.
I copied the contents of the 4th sheet to a new workbook. The previously
1.3 MB sheet became 32 kb.

After saving each of the sheets individually, I recombined the workbook.
The size of the entire workbook dropped from 1.4 MB to 327 kb. According to
Kari, all her information is there.

Because of the legacy of having a corrupt sheet, I am still cautious and
have advised Kari to save the document frequently.

That's it.

KHS