Cannot connect to the printer operation could not be completed

Reaction score
I used to have two desktops A & B, they have internet sharing and printer sharing , they were working fine.

Desktop A XP Professional SP2 PC has got two printers (HP and Samsung) connected directly (USB cable), and Printer sharing is turned on .

I bought another Desktop to replace B, because B is an old PC.

From the Desktop B, when attempting to chose the option :

Code:
A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer

to add a shared printer , I can browse and see the printers name (hp and Samsung), however, when I attempt to
connect both of them, I get the following error :

Code:
[/font][/color][font=Tahoma]cannot connect to the printer operation could not be completed error
Do I need to have admin account with their passwords on both Desktop to be able to share the printers ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You have enabled sharing on both printers?

And then on computer B you've gone to Printers/Add a printer/browse for printer and both printers show?

That's when you should add the printers.

Having done that Printers should show both of them.

Assuming you've done all that and they still won't install on Computer B, I'm stumped.

btw, you can't just connect and print, you do have to install them on computer B first.

Reaction score
You have enabled sharing on both printers?
Yes.

And then on computer B you've gone to Printers/Add a printer/browse for printer and both printers show?
Yes.

Having done that Printers should show both of them.
Yes, and I want to add one more, when I change the shared name (for testing purpose) of the printers, which are hosted on PC A, I can see the new shared name on PC B as well.

Assuming you've done all that and they still won't install on Computer B, I'm stumped.
Yes.

btw, you can't just connect and print, you do have to install them on computer B first.
Do you mean I have to install drivers for both printers on PC B first before the PC B accept them as hardware devices ?

How can I nstall the drivers for both printers on PC B, and there is no hardware recognized on PC B ?

Regards

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
zillah said:
Do you mean I have to install drivers for both printers on PC B first before the PC B accept them as hardware devices ?

No.

But when you add them you should get a prompt informing you that software will be installed to enable the printer(s).

Although in practice software isn't actually installed, just a link(s).

Well, as I said, I'm stumped. Sorry.

Anybody else?

Reaction score
But when you add them you should get a prompt informing you that software will be installed to enable the printer(s).

Yes, This is what I was expection PC B to behaive.

Although in practice software isn't actually installed, just a link(s).
Yes that is right.

Thanks for sharing your thought

Reaction score
I did a test I replace the PC B with my laptop (win2003) , the laptop was able to connect the both printers that hosted on PC A.

I did another test , now I disconnected both printers from PC A, and I connected them to PC B,,,,,of course I enabled sharing for both of them. Neither my laptop nor PC A were able to connect to the printers!!!!!

Ask a Question