Cannot access Help and Support, Search, Windows Update

I recently installed XP on a new hard drive in an existing computer. At first it seemed to work allright but it developed more and more problems. The installation of Norton SystemWorks had to be done twice because of problems with the Windows Installer, whatever that is. Now when I try to access Help and Support or Search from the Start menu I get nothing. When I ran Norton Win Doctor it fixed about 70 things but left one that it couldn't fix. The message reads: Missing File: C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\0701\Intel32\DotNetInstaller.exe
Cannot access a missing file "mscoree.dll" I did a search in this forum and found a fix but it involves going to Windows Update, which is another thing that I cannot access any more. I can get online and surf all over the place, but when I come to a Micorsoft site I can't do any searches online. I can get to this page, but the message area stays blank. Luckily I have another computer to do this message with. I did another search here for the problem with my Search from the Start Menu, and got some instructions to go into Windows through Explorer and find the srchasst file and right click it, then click install. When I tried it there was no option to install in the popup menu. The list goes on, but is this enough info for somebody to have some ideas about where to start. I was hopeful that XP would work right out of the box...... Thank

Taurarian

Here's a start for your many problems:

http://tinyurl.com/l04g
Error: "Missing file: 'C:\ . . . \DotNetInstaller.exe' cannot access a necessary
file . . .. " after running WinDoctor

See: Why doesn't Search work?
(or you can try:
Click Start, Run, then type in "regsvr32 /i browseui.dll" then press Enter
then type in and "regsvr32 /i shell32" then press Enter)
Also see: Why doesn't Help and Support work?

Windows Installer error
Go to Start/Run and type: regsvr32 msi.dll
then
Go to Start/Run and type
SFC /SCANNOW
Make sure you have your WinXP CD in the CD Drive before executing the SFC
command.
or
The "Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" Error Message appears When
You Add or Remove Program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315346
or
Windows Installer Fix (Line 94)
Troubleshooting Windows Installer
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_w.htm#xp_wininstaller

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_w.htm
and scroll down to: "Windows Installer" - download and run the "WI.zip" file.

Brambory said:
[...]
hopeful that XP would work right out of the box...... Thanks

Thanks, Taurarian.

Regarding the missing file notification from Win Doctor, should I just ask NWD to ignore it so I don't see it every time I run Norton?

I tried the two things you suggested regarding Help and Support. No change. When I hit Start Menu > Help and Support I hear the hdd clicking for a few seconds, but nothing on the screen. When I hit Search I get the right window, with the left column all gray, and the right square all white. File and Edit menus are grayed out

I tried the instructions given in the kelly's korner thing. I went to the Windows folder and found the srchasst file. When I right click on it I don't get the option to "install" on the popup menu, just the usual Open, Explore, Find...on down to Properties. Kelly suggests downloading a fix form some expert, but I'm quite hesitant to do that. For one, nothing else has worked, so maybe we're on the wrong track anyway. Also on general principles -- with billions of dollars of r&d and some of the brightest minds of our generation, and XP the pinnacle of two decades plus of perfecting Windows, shouldn't the fix be within Windows, and shouldn't it be able to figure it out and fix itself? I do not mean this to sound like the people who bellyache about MS, I'm just a bit dumbfounded, like the kids in the fairy tale about the emperor's clothes.

I'd appreciate any further thoughts you have about the problem, especially some way to fix it within Windows. Also, do the fixes that you suggested, and those in Kelly's Korner, address the problem that I have with not being able to access Windows Update? I get the window but it is empty. Is that connected to the same problem that I have with this web page -- I can get to it but the windows stay empty and I can't pull up any search? Thanks for you time, David Morris

Taurarian

Hi David, your problems are definitely a challenge. The only thing I can suggest
is that you now do a sfc or a repair installation.

Replacing missing or corrupt files in OS System – Win XP
Place the Win XP CD in the CD drive.
When Autoplay starts just click the X and close it.
Click Start button, select Run and type in “sfc /scannow†without the quotes and
the system should scan for missing/corrupt MS OS files and replace them with the
originals found on the disk.
Scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct
Microsoft versions.

NOTES –
The Windows File Protection is constantly checking whether important files are
missing or overwritten and restores them if so. Sometimes it can happen that a
file is corrupted anyway, but then one can use the util SFC.EXE with the
/SCANNOW option to do a full scan of the critical files and restore those, which
has become corrupted:
SFC /SCANNOW
This operation cannot complete without the install CD. Therefore it is important
to insert the install CD before launching the above command. If the install path
have changed since the original install, then you have to change the source path
so SFC can find the install files.
Sometimes the WinXP Home will ask for the WinXP Pro CD, but this is not problem
as long the above condition have been met. Though it might require that one
press Retry several times before the System File Checking begins.
Note to see all options for the System File Checker:
SFC /?
If you need to change the install path
You can change where XP/NT expects to find the XP/NT CD, to do this edit the
registry.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion]
Sourcepath=D:\I386
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows\CurrentVersion \Setup]
Sourcepath=D:\
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747
Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

Note you can save the registry key first by:
On the File menu, click Export.
In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
Or create a system restore point prior to editing.
Note: If the registry key is not there, you can simply create one by going edit

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require
you to reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own
risk.

The other option is to do a repair install.
How Do I Do a "Repair Installation"?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

Also see:-
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315341
How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654
Install and Use the Recovery Console in WinXP

See if this rectifies any of the problems you're having. I haven't come across a
blank page in Windows Update as yet, only page cannot be displayed. Try the
above, then work on Windows Update.

With regards to Nortons, they say it can be safely ignored.

Hope the above assists you.

Brambory said:
[...]

zoew54

I have same probs but maybe worse. I am quite new to this I got my p
in July, it didn't come with a disk to install XP it was already o
computer and it is new. I don't understand the computer jargo
everyone is talking in either. My start menu and taskbar have vanishe
and I have checked that it is not hidden, help and support does not wor
on any site or on xp, neither does search facility, AOL check up doe
not work at all it is just blank, I do not appear to have win docto
and windows update doesn't work. also Symanatic , is it? states i
needs reinstalling when I start up and then a black box pops up an
saysC:\PROGRAM~1\COMMON~1\UPDMGR.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEX.N
cannot run on this system(m-dos I think), which I then close and the
another box pops up and says cannot run esnsengine.d11 cannot be foun
and to reinstall it, what is it!!
I don't want to have to reinstall everything if I can help it as
don't have the disk. I haven't done anything to computer I just us
internet and virus scan regulary. I am puzzled any help would b
appreciated (in english pls) and if you can tell me what caused this s
I can watch out for it in future.
p.s
my pc had a message on this morning saying this computer had suffered
serious error twice or something like that and asked me to send
report, your not kidding eh!HELP!
Taurarian said:
[...]

\Setup]
Sourcepath=D:\
http://tinyurl.com/3p2vn
Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checke
(Sfc.exe)

Note you can save the registry key first by:
On the File menu, click Export.
In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
Or create a system restore point prior to editing.
Note: If the registry key is not there, you can simply create one b
going edit
new.

http://tinyurl.com/bpov
HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that ma
require
you to reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided a
your own
risk.

The other option is to do a repair install.
How Do I Do a "Repair Installation"?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

Also see:-
http://tinyurl.com/2zgk
How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://tinyurl.com/x2ge