Call of Duty II

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Has anyone here got this game? I've heard so many mixed thoughts about it!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah, i got it and one word - Awesome
1-pray.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm tempted to say best game ever :)

Right now on last stages of American campaign (I think) The Taking of Hill 400.

It is seriously intense.

Multiplayer is good as well :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Arg Dammit, I'm going to have to get this now!

Held off buying any games for ages, but if its better than COD I its a must :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Didn't manage to get this today but should be picking it up tomorrow from Game - can't wait to get my grubby little mits on it :D

Very nice review there Chris :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

There's this bit I'm on now, just crossed the Rhine, trying to blow up a second Tiger Tank.

It just goes on for ever and ever with no save point and every time you get near the tank loads of German troops appear as if from nowhere.

I'm on about my 10th attempt and each attempt takes a good ten minutes :mad:

But I love it really :D

pikakilla

Proud Cruncher!
Reaction score
i finished it on meduim? setting
cracking game, now waiting for mods to come out so i can get a dedicated sniper server up and running

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm, solved my problem, figured the tank was driving a constant circular route round the town so just hid down an alley and waited for it to come past :D

And I thought I was good at these games :D Hmm :blush:

Mopped up a few soldiers, and that was it - end of game.

Now to play it online a little more and also go back to Serious Sam 2.

I'll also give it a while and play through on a harder level.

One of the end credits: 'Thanks to all the men and women from around the world who gave their lives to give us our freedoms, we will never forget you'.

Final credit: 'No cows were harmed in the making of this game' :confused:

Chris Pickering

Monkey Island Fanboy
Reaction score
As much as I have enjoyed Call of Duty 2, I do believe people are being a little TOO eager to hand out praise.

Great FPS title it is. Best game ever, or even 'game of the year' it aint

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Chris Pickering said:
As much as I have enjoyed Call of Duty 2, I do believe people are being a little TOO eager to hand out praise.

Great FPS title it is. Best game ever, or even 'game of the year' it aint

So suggest one that is.

HL2 maybe, for sure.

I haven't played F.E.A.R. but I do favour fps's and recently purchased Quake 4 and Serious Sam 2 and they don't hold a candle to CoD 2.

An individual's accolade of a certain game is just their opinion, really.

How would you judge a game? Technical expertise? Innovation? Or sheer enjoyment?

Myself, I'd go for the latter category.

Beauty, they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

I thought your review was good, apart from one thing. You stated you thought the game would be improved if you had some control over your fellow soldiers.

I disagree, I thought the A1 was just fine and having to mess about giving orders to other soldiers detracts from the gameplay, imo. That's what spoiled Brothers In Arms Road To Hill 30 for me.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

Game of the year :p ;)

Chris Pickering

Monkey Island Fanboy
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
So suggest one that is.

HL2 maybe, for sure.

I haven't played F.E.A.R. but I do favour fps's and recently purchased Quake 4 and Serious Sam 2 and they don't hold a candle to CoD 2.

An individual's accolade of a certain game is just their opinion, really.

How would you judge a game? Technical expertise? Innovation? Or sheer enjoyment?

Myself, I'd go for the latter category.

Beauty, they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

I thought your review was good, apart from one thing. You stated you thought the game would be improved if you had some control over your fellow soldiers.

I disagree, I thought the A1 was just fine and having to mess about giving orders to other soldiers detracts from the gameplay, imo. That's what spoiled Brothers In Arms Road To Hill 30 for me.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

Game of the year :p ;)

Dont get me wrong, Call of Duty 2 is a fantastic game, and right up there with the best of the year. Along with the likes of Resident Evil 4, Shadow of the Colossus, and Lumines. It's just lacking a little something fresh and new to set it up above all other comers. To give a game a 'game of the yar' accolade, in my humble opinion (and of course, thats what this reviewing lark is all about :)) it has to be a title that really pushes the envelope in this wide world of gaming. Something that Call of Duty 2 does to an extent with it's incredibly cinematic feel.

As for the control of your squad mates I mentioned in the review, I didnt really explain myself too well there. My fault :blush: To go into the kind of detail Brothers In Arms went into would be a HUGE mistake, but a touch of control over your squad would have been a touch of innovation that COD2 does really need.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Fair points Chris and well presented :)

I do understand what you're saying.

Is Resident Evil 4 available for PC? Cos I don't own any consoles :(

Chris Pickering

Monkey Island Fanboy
Reaction score
Afraid not, but picking up a cheap GC and a copy of the game shouldnt set you back any more than £50. Plus after that you've a tonne of cheap GC titles to try out too! It's out on the PS2 too, but there's been a fair few graphical cut's.

Nice to see some good old gaming discussion here :)

Reaction score
Great game BUT i have to say as a dedicated multiplayer cod1 nerd the multiplayer expirience doesnt quite cut it with me, for example the regenrating health makes the singleplayer experience much more enjoyable and realistic without having to faff around with health packs and such lark but in multiplayer it is annoying that people can regenarate health after your hard graft of shooting them. imo, thumbs up on sp but mp thoroughly worse than cod1 and dare i say it even worse than UO (shudders)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
phaze said:
Great game BUT i have to say as a dedicated multiplayer cod1 nerd the multiplayer expirience doesnt quite cut it with me, for example the regenrating health makes the singleplayer experience much more enjoyable and realistic without having to faff around with health packs and such lark but in multiplayer it is annoying that people can regenarate health after your hard graft of shooting them. imo, thumbs up on sp but mp thoroughly worse than cod1 and dare i say it even worse than UO (shudders)

Having now had some time and experience online with CoD2, I'd agree with that, absolutely.

Reaction score
I finished this game about a week ago. The missions are very short and simple. (I played it on easy) For a casual gamer, this game is great. Might be a little short for a hard core gamer. Still, my son and I both loved it.

Reaction score
Cod one and two are a little bit arcadey..nonetheless a great game and alot of replayability :D

Ask a Question