Bargain Build your own PVR

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Me PVR arrived just now . Box a bit tatty and looks like its come from a store where there has been a fire . Opend box and PVR case has a bit of black dust on it and has several scuff marks . Took case of PVR and inside looks clean , no sign of dust . Will build later and report .

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mine arrived at 8.30am this morning.

External box is ok but the remote control unit has obviously had a lot of use, it has patches on it where the silver coating has worn away. All clean inside, one case screw missing, 2 hard disk enclosure screws missing, not a biggie, I've got lots of spare screws.

I formatted a spare 80Gb IDE HDD to FAT32, set it to master and fitted it.

I took the output for stereo audio and video from the three phono/RCA sockets and plugged these into a Pinnacle analogue TV tuner and my Audigy 2 sound card on the computer I use for video and audio.

I connected an amplified indoor aerial and switched the thing on.

It works :)

I'm receiving the following channels crystal clear: BBC1; BBC2; BBC3; CBBBC & BBC 24 Hour news. Not bad considering I have a really poor signal in this area. Good quality sound and picture.

I've made two short recordings so far but haven't used the timer facility. So far everything is working as it should including the remote control.

I'm really pleased with this thing, it's a bargain :) Thanks for the heads up Rush :thumb:

I hope to be moving in the near future, hopefully to an area with a stronger Freeview signal, this will do as a 2nd recording device after my media computer.

Still to do: Set the clock; try the twin tuner facility; make a recording using the timer.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like you guys got a good bargain there :)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Well i managed to codge a 80GB Maxtor for £15 squid..formatted and set jumper to master..connected everything up..yeah i have loads of spare screws too..lol.. Kicked it up ..ran the channel finder...recording works fine ...so all in all ..well chuffed. As for it being for a geek the hardest thing was setting the jumper to Master..
happywave.gif
. Another 2 coming today for the Kids Rooms ..missed the delivery though..

Back on..but keep checking

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd be tempted if I had a spare hard disc laying around.
Wifey is addicted to the playstation so I miss all my shows :mad:

But at least she doesn't moan about all my rigs-------a fair trade off.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Well bought 4 ...sold 3 ..kept the other , the remote stopped working on it , bought a universal remote ..did not work either, 27 days of the 30 for returns had elapsed. Emailed them and they said they had no more stock so i could choose something to the same value or money back..i took money back. Great service, and as for the faulty one they said just bin it .
Doesn`t take much to make a customer happy does it :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Built mine , boy was it a struggle . Took a whole ten minutes and nine of them were spent looking for a pesky screw I dropped . Tested ok here but as I can not get freeview it was only a test to see if it would power up .Took it to York and pluged it in and was watching tv on it after a couple of minutes . Forgot to take the manual with me and was a bit busy so all I tried out was the channel surfing . Me sister and me niece both turned the thing down as they have just got new setups and did not want the faff of learning new stuff . So I'm going to put it up for sale .
Where did you sell yours an how much did they go for ? if you don't mind me asking Rush .

:)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Sold to friends for £30, coz i had to buy the HD`s.
TD barter with Abarbarian :)

Reaction score
i have an archos av500 for all my tele-recordings. 100gb - that's more than what i need really. i only watch the office. lol

Ask a Question