Bridging a router

Reaction score
SO.. how would I bridge a router(this is on spec, not actually doing this). I want to basically hook up a second router as a range extender. Why.. do this.. lets pretend I have a second wireless router laying around and a 100ft Ethernet cable. Can this be done??

Reaction score
Me_2001 , like I said in this scenario... I already have the second router... and I'm a cheapo!

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Building a bridge

Raje said:
SO.. how would I bridge a router(this is on spec, not actually doing this). I want to basically hook up a second router as a range extender. Why.. do this.. lets pretend I have a second wireless router laying around and a 100ft Ethernet cable. Can this be done??
Hi Raje

The answer, I think, is that it depends upon what type of router you have.

Some of these units can be re-configured into wireless bridges, for exactly the scenario you state. I have used D-Link DWL-900AP+ routers to get around a problem with a 3ft thick granite wall in an old office block and it worked fine.

The first machine acts as the primary router, and the second one goes into "bridge mode". Just one thing I did find which might be relevant to you - if the primary and bridge are too close together (physically) they can cause a conflict because the receiving units (ie. PCs, Laptops etc) fight for the closest and therefore strongest available signal.

In simple terms, we found that unless you are actually getting signal degredation in a particular location, putting in an extra bridge may cause more problems that you initially had.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Reaction score
CITech said:
Some of these units can be re-configured into wireless bridges, for exactly the scenario you state. I have used D-Link DWL-900AP+ routers to get around a problem with a 3ft thick granite wall in an old office block and it worked fine.

Thanks CITech... now the question is how do I Bridge the router.. what has to be turned off...I don't need the step by step... just a general answer like.. turn off all tcp/ip setting and such.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Raje said:
Thanks CITech... now the question is how do I Bridge the router.. what has to be turned off...I don't need the step by step... just a general answer like.. turn off all tcp/ip setting and such.
To be quite honest with you Raje, the answer on the routers I use is quite simply "select an alternative use" on the initial login configuration screen. I can only help you with the one I know sorry.

Within the "Advanced" setup option you can select Access point, Wireless Client, Wireless Bridge, Multi-point Bridge or Repeater. I seem to recall that last time I used the Repeater option and all I needed to detail was the MAC address of the original Access Point.

Sorry I couldn't help more(unless you are using D-Link gear).

Cheers, and good luck.

Reaction score
ahhh thats ok... I'll look up the manual... perhaps it is that easy :)

Reaction score
Hey, if you are just trying to connect another Cable/DSL Router together, no problem ! You can daisy chain them, and the DHCP from the first Router will set up the second, or you can assign a fixed IP.

I do it all the time, and it just creates another subnet.

Ask a Question