Bonfire Night

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did anyone here do anything special for Bonfire night?

We had some friends staying for the weekend (still do!) and went on the big wheel in Manchester city centre. Its kind of like the London Eye, but not quite as big ;)

It had some great views, and we were actually above the fireworks going on around us, which was rather cool! Unfortunatly I forgot to bring the camera (might not of worked at night and whilst moving anyway I suppose).

Reaction score
I have a Rottweiler bitch she is like a baby, I had to stay awake until 2am she was petrified,:( Bloody fireworks!:rolleyes: Never said that when I was a child though.:D

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi all

I don't know whether this was 'peculiar' to my area but there was a distinct lack of organised bonfires in my town this year. So I stayed in with the TV.

But the noise of the fireworks this year........ seemed to be much louder than usual. Once or twice I thought that one had hit my windows!!

Gabs xx

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, they were the loudest I've heard this year too! Sounded like bombs sometimes at 4AM! Grrrr :mad:

Didn't make it to one of the organised shows, although they are often great :D

Reaction score
I went down to Alexandra Palace

i think its one of the best fireworks displays in London
was really nice!

lots of people good atmosphere and great fireworks!
i was hoping for laser lights in the sky but they did not appear!

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
gabriella said:
Hi all

I don't know whether this was 'perculair' to my area but there was a distinct lack of organised bonfires in my town this year. So I stayed in with the TV.

But the noise of the fireworks this year........ seemed to be much louder than usual. Once or twice I thought that one had hit my windows!!

Gabs xx
You're not alone Gabs, there was a distinct lack of organised stuff down here as well.

The Round Table normally have a big display out on the headland, but there didn't seem to be anything organised this year.

Oh well, there's always next time:)

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Just goes to show how quickly something which should have been fun can start going horribly wrong!

Haven't heard of too many bad stories but there did seem to be more than the average number of emergency sirens running around last night.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It was an amazing view from the Manchester Wheel - so amazing to see all the fireworks going off all over the city, all around us. There were some pretty close, and we were at the same height as them - that was an odd experience, I've never seen fireworks from that position before!

:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Me convalescing, so just stayed in and supped a few bottles of Spitfire.

You're right about the size of the bangs, some shook my windows.

All my mob went to the display on Blackheath Common, it's held every year jointly by Greenwich and Lewisham councils, is free and usually very very good.

But I don't think I quite up to that yet.

I still reckon firework sales should be banned to the public though, if only for the sake of pets.

And, like itsme, I had a different POV when I was younger ;)

Reaction score
Went to Sarah (Tango's) shindig... took loads of fireworks.

Had one of those H U G E rockets.... you know... about as tall as a person. Told my mate, who happened to be the only sober one as was driving, to set one up. In all his wisdom he hammered this thing into the ground and lit it. Forgot the launching tube. Idiot.

We were 10 meters away from it, max... probably 5. We watched in horror as this thing did NOT fly into the air... we then all hit the deck hoping we would escape with our lives... we did... just

It was about the funniest thing i have ever seen though...

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Went to Sarah (Tango's) shindig... took loads of fireworks.

Had one of those H U G E rockets.... you know... about as tall as a person. Told my mate, who happened to be the only sober one as was driving, to set one up. In all his wisdom he hammered this thing into the ground and lit it. Forgot the launching tube. Idiot.

We were 10 meters away from it, max... probably 5. We watched in horror as this thing did NOT fly into the air... we then all hit the deck hoping we would escape with our lives... we did... just

It was about the funniest thing i have ever seen though...

Whata mistak to maka sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeshhhhhhh:eek:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
so sorry but i have been trying to save face for christmas and build a pc to play battlefield 2 , was disturbed by not the sounds of fireworks but ruddy ICBM`s and nuclear missiles . Next year i am hiding in a bunker and praying for divine intervention !!!!!!

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Me convalescing, so just stayed in and supped a few bottles of Spitfire.

You're right about the size of the bangs, some shook my windows.

All my mob went to the display on Blackheath Common, it's held every year jointly by Greenwich and Lewisham councils, is free and usually very very good.

But I don't think I quite up to that yet.

I still reckon firework sales should be banned to the public though, if only for the sake of pets.

And, like itsme, I had a different POV when I was younger ;)

Youngsters in the bygone age had more respect for neighbours elder folks and animals:thumb: , had neither the money either?:eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
itsme said:
Youngsters in the bygone age had more respect for neighbours elder folks and animals:thumb: ,

Erm, you want the truth, truth, probably not.

The notion that kids then had more respect is a myth.

No doubt kids from 1930 or whatever might think the same about yourself, it's always been that way and always will be.

The only difference may have been that I was kept in line by the threat of a good beating ;)

had neither the money either?

I had the money, I had several jobs usually throught my childhood.

My parents always bought me some fireworks as well.

Mostly, I used to go and watch everybody else's though, there was this large plot of common ground where we congregated and built a huge bonfire, it was good :)

Being older doesn't make you better and childhood is looked back at with misty eyes and a memory that somehow manages to forget what complete little gits we could be ;)

Reaction score
I was no angel believe me:p , I did have respect though:thumb: , kids will be kids always will be that way:D , 1910/30 sheesh I’m not that old Flops:cool: and you worked for your monies.;)

Reaction score
I have respect for people - you don't need to be dis-respectful to have fun, which is what chavs are like...

Politeness is the way forward...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
itsme said:
1910/30 sheesh I’m not that old Flops:cool:

My old man was born in 1929 so I guess that made him a kid in the 1930's and you older than me ;)

Lemme see, you musta been born in 1944 by my reckoning.

So, assuming your old man couldda been born in, say, 1924, that would have made him a kid in the 1930's.

Which generation would have been critical of your generation in much the same way you are of younger generation now. That was my reasoning.

I don't think kids generally are that bad, just the same as it's always been. It's down to individuals, after all.

Lemme give you a little example.

Walking home from pub a few months ago, one of the two girls I was walking home with (I say girls, one was 25, one was 35) collapsed. She'd fallen ice skating a few days earlier and hurt her back and was laying on pavement, in pain.

Me and Julia lifted her onto pavement, wondering what to do. It was about 11pm.

A bunch of black kids aged about 14 on push bikes suddenly surrounded us. Uh-oh, I thought, we could be in a spot of bother here.

These kids parked their bikes, asked what was wrong, then lifted Gosha (that was injured girl's name, she's Polish) into a nearby pub where they knew the governor there.

They offered to phone an ambulance and stayed to make sure everything was ok.

After a while, Gosha could walk again and off we went, saying thank you's all round.

True story.

You gotta have faith in human nature :)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Me, I missed bonfire night altogether. Forgot about it completely & since I live a wee way out of town really only saw on firework go off so put it down to kids getting in early. My kids were at their dad's for guyfawks night this year so I never really thought about it much at all.
I usually enjoy going to one of the local 'club' do's for bonfire night rather than the big show down-town. Friendlier atmosphere & not so tightly packed. Although I was at the City Council's do a couple pf years back. A stray rocket (of theirs of course, no one else is allowed to set off fireworks at the display) set fire to one of the window plant-type decorations 3/4 of the way up one of the office buildings surrounding the octogon. The council had to call in the fire dept, red faces all around. It was very funny.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Walking home from pub a few months ago, one of the two girls I was walking home with (I say girls, one was 25, one was 35) collapsed. She'd fallen ice skating a few days earlier and hurt her back and was laying on pavement, in pain.

Me and Julia lifted her onto pavement, wondering what to do. It was about 11pm.

A bunch of black kids aged about 14 on push bikes suddenly surrounded us. Uh-oh, I thought, we could be in a spot of bother here.

These kids parked their bikes, asked what was wrong, then lifted Gosha (that was injured girl's name, she's Polish) into a nearby pub where they knew the governor there.

They offered to phone an ambulance and stayed to make sure everything was ok.

After a while, Gosha could walk again and off we went, saying thank you's all round.

True story.

You gotta have faith in human nature :)

Yeah, people can suprise you in the most astounding of ways.
Apparently they did one of those fun sociological studies govt's & universities are so fond of, to find out what areas in Britain evidenced the highest levels of courtesy. Liverpool was second on the list. John is still laughing (he's a scouser, though from accross the Mersey on the wirral).

Ask a Question