Best free Antivirus and Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
I've switched from AVG to AntiVir for antivirus protection and I use Online Armor for my software firewall.

Reaction score
Best free firewall..Hey how about the one that comes with Windows..its worked for me and millions of other people so far.

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Out of interest, are you using the free version of it - as I'm going to try out a selection of freebie AV's/FW's on my laptop :thumb: I've not heard of this one before :)
Free version on my wife's PC, full version on my own PC. My subscription expries later this Fall and I'm going to drop to the free version. I've been very happy with it although it does throw up a load of popups when installing new software :) .

Reaction score
So am I right in thinking that:

Antivir - is the best FREE anti virus program?

Windows Vista Firewall - Does the job!

Now what can I download for Spyware that is FREE? what is the difference between ad-ware and spyware?

Cheers people!

Geoooooooooo

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's not black and white about which ones are the best, but the general consensus seems to be you can't go wrong with AntiVir :)

For anti-spyware, try Windows Defender and SuperAntiSpyware :thumb:

Reaction score
Cheers Ian, I shall be updating my computers with them ASAP.

Is it worth having two anti spyware programs? Il use Windows Defender and that SAS if it's worth it!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think I can state with some certainty that at this moment in time Antivir is the best FREE AV program available.

Windows Vista Firewall certainly helps but opinion reckons that something extra is neded - either a hardware firewall in a router or another Firewall program. I don't use anything else except the Windows firewall but I hear good things about Kerio.

And super_anti_spyware is good, well worth having installed.

Reaction score
Cheers guys! I'll work on that asap!

Quickie doe! How can I install some AV software on my laptop without connecting to the internet? I dont have AV installed atm so if I connect to the internet I am open to all nasties whilst I install it :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You can't, unless you download it on another protected computer, bung it on a usb stick and do it that way.

Or take a chance, I always do, haven't been bitten yet. First thing I do is stick all the protection on straight after installing OS.

Oo, lookee there - 1000 posts for da G~Man :D

Reaction score
Blimey 1000 posts! Go me! :D I hope some of them were of use!

I think I might chance it :) BUTTTTTTTTTT I am writing on my desktop now and that would make more sense, just to be on the safe side!

Reaction score
I use AVG 8.0. I also found that when sometimes (not all the time) AVG just could not run on one of my clients computers, I put Avira Free. The only problem with Avira is that it has a huge nag screen popup when it does its updates. Otherwise it is a good AV antivirus program

I use either Vista's or xp firewall with a linksys router. The average person dose not t know what to let out and can block something that acutally needs to go out to get to the internet. I have been using and working with computers for 20years and I have never had a problem using these firewalls.

I also use Superantispyware Pro (the pro because you can schedule it to do a scan and it watches over you in realtime. This program (free or pro) has never let me down.

robin
image.php

Reaction score
Well, when I use free AV and Firewall I useally go with Anti Vir, Avast, Comondo Firewall, and Super Anti Spyware all of which are great programs.

Reaction score
Try Avast.
In my experience the best FREE program out there. It has real time protection, beautiful scanner and it automatically updates every day. However, it may conflict with other software, like Avira, for example. That is not unusual though and it doesn't mean something is wrong with either one of them. Cheers!

Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Hi guys

Need some advice from you good people on here..

My Zonealarm security suite is just about to expire, so instead of shelling out another 50 squid on it I was thinking of giving some of the free stuff out there a chance and save meself 50 notes into the bargain..

From what you lot have been saying for god knows how long now, is that the free stuff is virtually as good as the paid up versions..So I'm ready to give em a try..

So if you would, please list what you think is probably the better versions of free Antivirus and Firewalls on the market at this moment in time..Need something that doesn't hog resources and runs quietly in the background..

If Zonealarm not good for you then i prefer you to Download Macrovirus-oncall I am also using it from couple of weeks now and I'm very pleased with it. For one thing it's not as heavy as Norton's antivirus, but seems to do a good job.

Reaction score
Winavm is the best antivirus for PC protection. I am also using this antivirus for PC protection.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
gsforum said:
Winavm is the best antivirus for PC protection.

Oh no it's not :D

(It's pantomine season soon :) )

gsforum said:
I am also using this antivirus for PC protection.

Well what can I say? Good for you :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And with that, I declare this thread well and truly locked - it's become something of a spam-magnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question