Best free Antivirus and Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi guys

Need some advice from you good people on here..

My Zonealarm security suite is just about to expire, so instead of shelling out another 50 squid on it I was thinking of giving some of the free stuff out there a chance and save meself 50 notes into the bargain..

From what you lot have been saying for god knows how long now, is that the free stuff is virtually as good as the paid up versions..So I'm ready to give em a try..

So if you would, please list what you think is probably the better versions of free Antivirus and Firewalls on the market at this moment in time..Need something that doesn't hog resources and runs quietly in the background..

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2697599.php

user.gif

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thanks Ady but the threads 2 years old now..

Surely there have been advances in the free stuff out there, and opinions change on what is the best free stuff that is current..

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Personally, I use Kaspersky - which is about £12/year from Aria and includes an AV, Firewall etc... Was recommended years ago by Mucks / Ady, and I've not looked back since :thumb:

AntiVir from Avira is a good free anti-virus, and I've started to choose that over AVG more recently (although I do still quite like AVG).

It's been a while since I've used a free firewall, but I used Kerio Personal Firewall before Kaspersky and it seemed to work well at the time - you need to download their 30 day trial of the "full" version and it will revert to a free version after this.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thanks Ian for your recommendations..:nod:

Yes am looking at Kaspersky at the moment but was just wondering what else was out there that wouldn't cost me any pennies..

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Thanks Ady but the threads 2 years old now..

Surely there have been advances in the free stuff out there, and opinions change on what is the best free stuff that is current..
Although it was started 2 years ago, I think you'll find V_R keeps updating/editing it as required ;)

The recommendations there for AntiVir still stands, as does Comodo or Kerio for a firewall
nod.gif

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Just downloaded the 30 day free trial of Kaspersky internet security 2009 and am going to install some time today, will let you know what I think of it..

Reaction score
AVG mate I like that the best pretty effective too. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Yes am looking at Kaspersky at the moment but was just wondering what else was out there that wouldn't cost me any pennies..

Just another reminder that you can get Kapersky for free if you use Barclays internet banking. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've been reading quite a bit about free AV software lately and it seems to be the general opinion that Antivir is the only freebie worth having.

It seems it constantly catches stuff that Avast and AVG miss.

This came as something of a surprise to me as I thought Avast was good. I always knew AVG was a bit crap, it has been for the last five years or so. I still have Avast on one machine, I'm about to change that.

See my thread somewhere about real time experience of cleaning a system using Antivir, Superantispyware and Spybot S & D, by Grogan from BBF Forum. Sorry, can't find a link atm.

Again, from trawling and research, Kaspersky and NoD32 are neck and neck when it comes to efficient AV software but when I tried Kaspersky a couple of years ago, trial version, it slowed my (XP) system to a crawl, so I ditched it.

I'm with Barclays online, both business & personal, I may try Kaspersky again.

I don't know about firewalls, I rely on windows and my hardware firewall within the Linksys router, seems to do a good job cos I ain't had no crap for a couple of years now, touch wood.

Many years ago I used Kerio and remember it being good, but times change, so I don't know how they are now.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys..:thumb:

Still evaluating Kaspersky but your right flopps it has slowed my surfing experience down considerably....Shall kick on with it though as its free for 30 days..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In fairness, I'm told you can tweak Kaspesky to overcome this prob, hopefully a regular user will enlighten....

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm using ESET NOD32 now rather than Kaspersky as I find its a little quicker and lighter on resources, and unfortunately I can't remember what the Kaspersky tweak is now - I think Ian was the one who informed us about it :thumb:

Edit: Here it is - it was in fact Mucks :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My Kaspersky license runs out in Nov on a few PCs, so I'm tempted to give NOD32 (trial) a go on one, and AntiVir on the other before I purchase anything.

I've just upgraded KIS to 2009 again and it does seem to perform better (last time I tried the upgrade, I got constant crashes). :thumb:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Kaspersky does use a lot of resources especially whilst browsing the Internet.

This is because the Web Anti-Virus is scanning each page and site.

I turned mine off as i have Windows Firewall, Firewall in the Router, Superantispyware and Proactive defense is enabled in Kaspersky, so if anything does get through it gets smashed anyway.

Oh in Internet Options i have Pop Up Blocker and Anti Phishing turned on as well.

Each page i load on the Web is instant as it should be with a 13MB line.

Much faster now, have been running it for a week now and no nastys yet.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Although it was started 2 years ago, I think you'll find V_R keeps updating/editing it as required ;)

The recommendations there for AntiVir still stands, as does Comodo or Kerio for a firewall
nod.gif
Has it been two years already? :eek:

Ya i am updating it here and there, but as said, its all still relevent tbh. :)

Infact that reminds me, i need to add Malwarebytes to the list seems to be highly reccomended lately. So i tried it on a friends pc who had verious nasties, it cleaned it up nicely. :)

Oh and yes i still use Antivir and Kerio, have done for the last few years. I cant fault them. :cool:

Reaction score
Keep me updated Crazylegs! I am on the lookout for some cheap Anti Virus software, specially after all of the bad reviews about Norton!

Lemme know how it goes, I would be most interested to see what you think as I need to get some AV for my laptop :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Antivir and Kerio = Free = win. :D

Reaction score
Good timing! I didnt fancy purchasing AV for my laptop and now my PC after I got an alerty saying my subsricption runs out soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question