Battery and power issues.

Reaction score
Compaq Presario C310EU.
Does anyone know how long a laptop will remain powered up for after the AC power is disconnected with no battery installed. How long will the system capacitors keep it going for?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
is this a homework question

paul55 said:
Compaq Presario C310EU.
Does anyone know how long a laptop will remain powered up for after the AC power is disconnected with no battery installed. How long will the system capacitors keep it going for?
I give up, how long did it take, milliseconds?

:wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
As Mucks has already indicated, all three of the different laptops I've owned, would instantly die, when AC power was switched off (if batteries were not present.) But just out of interest, there is an article which explains it in more detail:

1. Stored Energy
  2. The most serious danger a capacitor offers is part of its function. A capacitor stores electrical charge. Even if power to the computer has been turned off, the power supply capacitors may still retain enough charge to give an unwary technician a jolt.

Unless a capacitor has been isolated from the rest of the supply (for instance, by a cut wire or burned circuit card trace), the charge will bleed off into the filter in a minute or less. Applying a metal screwdriver across both leads will short out any charge safely.

Small disk-type capacitors carry too little charge to be a threat. The primary concern must be the power supply electrolytic capacitors. Test for charge, or ground before touching or soldering/desoldering.

Remainder of article at ehow.com

Welcome to PC Review, by the way :wave:

Reaction score
Take the battery out please. Check the pins for any debris; reset the power saver to default condition. Take off all external devices. Was there a concern before and you needed to do a BIOS update? Possible you have a hardware problem corrupted registry entry conflicting. Recheck those update and de install to observe any improvement.

Ask a Question