Bank Raid

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thought I would post this up as I know at least one member on the forum lives in Chandlers Ford..

Two shot dead as police foil bank raid

E831F933EFCFC5F70DDC027C2EA.jpg

Two robbers were shot dead when armed police confronted a gang during a bank raid, Scotland Yard has said.

One died at the scene in Chandlers Ford, Hampshire, and a second was taken to hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

The shooting, involving the Metropolitan Police Flying Squad, happened at a branch of the HSBC.

The gang are believed to have been targeting a security van outside the bank.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is investigating the shooting.

Scotland Yard confirmed the Flying Squad had worked with Hampshire Police and armed police on the operation.

A spokesman said: "The object of the operation was to prevent and apprehend those believed to be involved in an attempted armed robbery of a premises in Chandlers Ford.

"At approximately 10.05am, shots were fired and two men were shot. One was pronounced dead at the scene, the other was taken to a local hospital but died at approximately midday.

"No officers were injured in the incident. The incident has been referred to the IPCC."

An estate agent who works next door to the bank said: "I knew it was the sound of bullets immediately. Everyone just ran to get as far away as possible.

"The police must have been tipped off. One customers told us they saw police officers running out of the public toilets just near to the bank and then they heard the shots.

"A police officer came in to talk to us and suggested one of the robbers had got away. I saw the body on the floor afterwards but it had been covered.

"This is out of the ordinary for sleepy Chandler's Ford so we are all a bit shook up."

Eyewitness Rob Holman, 41, who was driving past, said: "I heard a bang but then I heard two or three more and then immediately there were two cars filled with armed police rushing past.

"It was a long time before uniformed police arrived but there were so many armed police here they must have had a tip-off."

A spokesman for HSBC said: "We can confirm that no customers or staff have been hurt in this incident.

"We are obviously very grateful because this violent incident appears to have had the potential to have been much worse."

Melanie Chase, who lives above the bank, said: "I was in the bath when I heard someone shouting 'Get down, Get down' and then I heard three shots. I looked out the window and saw blood everywhere on the floor. It was horrible."

Reaction score
Isn't it Michael118 that lives there?

I shouldn't comment on the incident until all the details have been released.

I think the referral to the IPCC is pretty standard in things like this too.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I shouldn't comment on the incident until all the details have been released.

I think the referral to the IPCC is pretty standard in things like this too.
You can guess who's just joined the law cant you.:nod:
As for the IPCC whenever a firearm/s are discharged it's standard practice, more so when someone is shot & killed.

Reaction score
feckit said:
You can guess who's just joined the law cant you.
nod.gif

As for the IPCC whenever a firearm/s are discharged it's standard practice, more so when someone is shot & killed.

I'm in two minds about this, it must put a lot of potential firearms officers off...

In other countries, if you have to shoot someone, everyone is immediately there for support to comfort you for what must be quite a traumatic experience. This is true at least for the NZ police, as a member of my extended family was explaining to me.

Here it seems like if you shoot someone, you are treated like a criminal until the investigation is complete. That has to be quite traumatic in itself.

Saying that, i don't know how everything works and that is how it appears to joe public. I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that, but i don't know any tactical firearm unit officers as they are all based out of...somewhere else to me!

Ramble ramble ramble.

I'm looking forward to hearing the entire story, who the guys were etc.

Good on the old bill for stopping them raid the bank.

Reaction score
:eek: (pardon my french) jesus christ i walk past that everyday. right past that bank and past the public toilets. Thats so strange to think of. Really, really out of the ordinary.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Go down there now...quick! Report from the scene, LIVE exclusively for PC Review

:lol: well all the action is over anyway...but that would be good ;)

my brother walks past that way, and he had to be picked up from school because his route was blocked off...

never thought that would happen on my front step. Guns just aren't part of the community i'm in. Much more afraid of going out and about now...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
michael 118 said:
:lol: well all the action is over anyway...but that would be good ;)

my brother walks past that way, and he had to be picked up from school because his route was blocked off...

never thought that would happen on my front step. Guns just aren't part of the community i'm in. Much more afraid of going out and about now...

Its doubtful that the robbers were locals . Most armed bank jobs are done by criminals away from their home turf so you should be reasonbly safe .

happywave.gif

Reaction score
some countries put more emphasis on the rights of the criminals, their freedom, right to life, right to fair trial... and some countries put more emphasis on law and order, decency, the rights of the people to walk down the streets in safety...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Gordon Bennet, what's it coming to? :mad:

Good honest villain can't make a decent living any more wivout some old Bill droppin' 'im wiv a shooter :mad:

It's a disgrace, I knew them two, Alfie Noakes and Tommy Bentley, ran a used car lot off of Stamford Hill, good geezers, wouldn't harm a fly and loved animals and children.

Well, it's true they had a couple of Pitbulls and they'd put two Securicor guards in intensive care in '96 but know what I mean? Decent blokes they were, used to buy their Mums flowers and everyfing.

And now some trigger happy old Bill's put 'em six foot under.

I don't know what the world's coming to.....

Ask a Question