Talk Talk customer? Time to change your password. Again.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
....and you bank details etc.... :eek:

"Police are investigating a "significant and sustained cyber-attack" on the TalkTalk website, the UK company says.

The phone and broadband provider, which has over four million UK customers, said banking details and personal information could have been accessed.

TalkTalk said potentially all customers could be affected but it was too early to know what data had been stolen.

The Metropolitan Police said no-one had been arrested over Wednesday's attack but enquiries were ongoing.

TalkTalk said in a statement that a criminal investigation had been launched on Thursday.

It said there was a chance that some of the following customer data, not all of which was encrypted, had been accessed:

• Names and addresses
  • Dates of birth
  • Email addresses
  • Telephone numbers
  • TalkTalk account information
  • Credit card and bank details
In the wake of the news, the company's share price dropped by 10% in the first few hours after the London stock exchange opened at 08:00 BST.

Cyber security consultant and former Scotland Yard detective Adrian Culley told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that a Russian Islamist group had posted online to claim responsibility for the attacks.

He said hackers claiming to be a cyber-jihadi group had posted data which appeared to be TalkTalk customers' private information - although he stressed their claim was yet to be verified or investigated.

Dido Harding, chief executive of the TalkTalk group, told BBC News the authorities were investigating and she could not comment on the claims."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34611857

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I wouldn't know, I would never have an account with them,

Reaction score
So anyone a talk talk customer?

The head of TalkTalk says she has had an email demanding a ransom from a group purporting to be behind the cyber-attack suffered by the company. Chief executive Dido Harding said she did not know whether the ransom email was genuine.

The phone and broadband provider said personal and banking details of up to four million customers may have been accessed in the "significant" attack. The Met Police said the email was "forming part of its investigations".

More @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34615226

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I've been with TalkTalk for quite a few years now and the only real issue I had with them was customer services and it being out sourced to India. Language barrier was the main problem. But now that most of their Customer Services is dealt with in Cape Town it is much better.

Reaction score
I've been with TalkTalk for quite a few years now
But now your bank details might not be with them but with mr/mrs hacker!
TalkTalks responce seems to have been poor and might loose them customers.
Their shares have fallen steadily over the last few days!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
But now your bank details might not be with them but with mr/mrs hacker!

I make my mobile and landline payments over the phone and my bank details are not registered with them that way.
Add to that Natwest are pretty good and know my spending pattern, so anything out of the ordinary and they stop payment.

Reaction score
I've been with TalkTalk for quite a few years now and the only real issue I had with them was customer services and it being out sourced to India. Language barrier was the main problem. But now that most of their Customer Services is dealt with in Cape Town it is much better.

That was why I gave up with BT was their Indian help desk

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have been with AOL or as it is now Talk Talk since 2004. Connection is sound and stable and always has been but it is slow here but then again so is my neighbours BT connection. Support on the phone is good if you can get a non Indian call centre.
They gave me a free year a couple of years ago and all I had to pay was the up front line rental of £9.90.
At the moment I pay £16 for 24/7 uncapped broadband and UK phone calls. I could get rid of the calls and only pay £9.
I doubt if BT could do any better and I seriously doubt that BT would give you a free years broadband as a thank you for being a long term customer.
Oh and this massive super ruin your life security hack,,,,,well,

Boy, 15, arrested in Northern Ireland in connection with TalkTalk hack

So the super hack was just a fantasy that exists in their minds alone. Something created by pathetic little editors either to sell their crappy little publications or maybe they were bribed or maybe they are just pathetic little folk who did not make the grade as political candidates. :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34643783

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Talk Talk bandwidth allowance? Peak time throttling? Censorship? Site restriction? Length of contract?

For the money, your deal is good but I wouldn't use Talk Talk if you twisted my arm.

I've used Zen since March 2003 and have been more than satisfied. I've had one minor hiccup with Zen who sorted it out in ten minutes on the phone and several hiccups caused by our local archaic telephone exchange - BT's responsibility.

Granted, I pay £30 per calendar month for my service but I am supporting an independent northern-based UK company with a very good attitude and helpful tech service. Plus I pay them telephone line rental.

I don't use my landline for telephone calls and neither do I subscribe to any television packages, not even Freeview.

I do wonder though if maybe, just maybe, some shady business individuals put the young Belfast Boy up to his hacking tricks to enable their rival a stinging blow, as scores of customers left Talk Talk in a hurry following the supposed 'Security scandal'. Makes you wonder dunnit?

And no, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, people who allege 9/11 stitch-ups and chemtrails seriously need an appointment with a qualified shrink imo ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Still doesn't change the fact that they've been 'hacked' three times in a year though.

As FBS said, i wouldn't touch TT with a barge pole.

My Plusnet FTTC has been rock solid since I've had it bar one outage overnight which was due to some thieving **** having away with some of the cabling lol.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
UK police make third arrest over TalkTalk cyber attack

A 20-year-old man from Staffordshire, central England, was being held in custody and his address was being searched, London police said in a statement.

On Thursday a 16-year-old boy was arrested in west London and later released on bail. Earlier in the week, police detained a 15-year-old boy in Northern Ireland who was also released on bail.

Also on Saturday, Vodafone UK (VOD.L) revealed that hackers had accessed the accounts of 1,827 of its customers this week.

Oh and if you are worried by the Talk Talk hacks maybe you should write to your MP about the Gov's hacking ability.

UK government claims power for broad, suspicionless hacking of computers and phones

The British Government has admitted its intelligence services have the broad power to hack into personal phones, computers, and communications networks, and claims they are legally justified to hack anyone, anywhere in the world, even if the target is not a threat to national security nor suspected of any crime.

For the past decade, GCHQ have been involved in state-sponsored hacking, or “Computer Network Exploitation”, without this code being available to the public. This lack of transparency is a violation of the requirement that the intelligence services act in accordance with law. The draft code has not yet been approved by Parliament, and is open for public comment until 20 March 2015.

So at least we are safe knowing that both Labour and the Tories are looking out for us. :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, but Theresa May tells us Government agencies won't be able to view our online browsing habits and history unless the information is specifically requested by people such as the police or MI5.

So we can all rest easy then can't we? :)

And Talk Talk is still s**t :p

Reaction score
We went down for 24hrs with Sky/BT over the weekend, seems someone might have nicked some cabling.
Not just a few houses but it seems everyone on the exchange went off line!!!!
But all up and running again today and speeds up to normal.

Sky/BT fibre optic has been really good since we went on it.

As for TT we once went down for 3 days and all they offered was that they were very sorry!
So they lost our business and would not touch them even if they paid us to use the service!!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ah, but Theresa May tells us Government agencies won't be able to view our online browsing habits and history unless the information is specifically requested by people such as the police or MI5.

So we can all rest easy then can't we? :)

As long as you do not talk about anything anywhere at any time. Yup you can sleep easy.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-polic...rs-give-prison-sentences-for-disclosing-them/

The dismal picture painted above could just be tip of the iceberg, too. The draft Investigatory Powers Bill forbids anyone involved in interception from ever disclosing that fact, including during court proceedings (section 42). As Danezis writes: "Note that this section is absolute: it does not have exceptions, for example in relation to the public interest: such as the ability to discuss the benefit or downsides of part interception activities; no exception for talking about this to MPs, or other democratic representatives; or even to exculpate anyone who otherwise would be wrongfully found guilty."

It seems that the central purpose of the revamped Snooper's Charter is not so much the claimed tidying-up of existing surveillance powers, nor even the extension of those powers, although it certainly does that too. At the heart of proposed Investigatory Powers Bill is something much more insidious: an attempt to make it impossible for anyone in the UK to discuss any details of the government's surveillance activities, in any circumstances, even when they hear about them from sources and sites located abroad.

Ask a Question