Security flaw found in Microsoft Word will be patched today

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It has been revealed that scammers have been using a security flaw in Microsoft Word to send malware to users via email, which can then be used to target online banking login details. According to a spokesperson from Microsoft, this vulnerability will be patched today. BBC News has more:

A bug in Word apparently targeted by scammers trying to steal banking logins will be patched, Microsoft has said.

The previously undetected, or "zero-day", vulnerability had been reported over the weekend.

Then, on 10 April, cybersecurity firm Proofpoint announced it had discovered an email campaign targeting the bug that aimed to distributed Dridex malware.

Dridex is designed to infect a victim's computer and snoop on banking logins.

In 2015, it was cited as the means by which cyber-attackers stole more than £20m from British bank accounts.

Read more here.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hopefully now completely up to date although I did have to manually download an update for MS Word which involved having to use the original Office CD. :confused:

Having looked at the MS website and info from Proofpoint I'm not sure what the word "Weaponisation" means. :confused:

Also the update that I seem to have needed was Update for Office 2003 (KB907417) which seems to have been available since 2007. Why was this not included in the Automatic Updates I have been getting over the years? :confused::confused:

I feel as though I've no idea what is going on here. :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I feel as though I've no idea what is going on here. :D

We're sitting on a planet that's spinning on its own axis as it zooms around the Solar System, and that Solar System is zooming around a galaxy that itself is zooming around the Universe.

:fool:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
We're sitting on a planet that's spinning on its own axis as it zooms around the Solar System, and that Solar System is zooming around a galaxy that itself is zooming around the Universe.

:fool:

Yes, I understand that bit !!!

:D

Ask a Question