Avira Free and my experience.

Reaction score
I hope this little text proves useful to someone who is not sure which AV to get :)

Well, Avira and I have been good buddies for about two years now. It was not always a good relationship - had its ups and down, but I can safely say that Avira Free is one of the best free anti-virus programs out there - why?

Several reasons for me. As a user who does almost anything on his system manually, I have been my own "antivirus" for quite a while. Regedit and task manager, maybe with the help of some advanced monitoring applications, I was always able to track down and kill all intruders on my system. The problems began when Internet became a much more....well, dangerous place, and even tho I don't visit "suspicious" sites, we all do use google - thus we unintentionally do visit some places we do not want to. There are also many "cracks" and illegal software (lets be honest here, we all use them a little) and some of them not so legit and often just worms in disguise.

I needed something simple and effective - and that came in the form of Avira. Its simple, stupid, does not bug you every 5 minutes, its virus detection & firewall are quite good and accurate and does not murder your performance. No need to spend time on configurations and exceptions and the like - and since I started using it, i really have no worm/virus problems. It does have its usual "Update complete! Now buy!" window after every update - but that does not bug me. Now someone will say: Avast is better then avira and it does not bug you! HA! - I prefer avira, it works nicer on my system, and I'm just too damn lazy to register every time I re-install my system (I do that a lot). The latest installment of avira (v10) had its own "chicken pocks" - but it seems all of, or the big majority of those issues are resolved now.

So, if you are someone like me - someone who has a lot of knowledge in the field, and just need a little help in keeping his system clean, or even a newbie who needs a reliable and simple AV app - I would highly recommend it :)

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice 'review' :)

inu22 said:
Avira. Its simple, stupid, does not bug you every 5 minutes, its virus detection & firewall are quite good and accurate and does not murder your performance.
Avira Free has a firewall now? ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Well said!! I too use Avira and have been using it for few years now.I have had no issues whatsoever.

Reaction score
V_R said:
Nice 'review' :)

Avira Free has a firewall now? ;)
More like a big rant xD
And yea, I guess it can be considered as a "firewall" since it does protect your system - not simply detecting and removing threats.

Quadophile said:
Well said!! .
Thanks ^^

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Avira has constantly proved to be the best of the freebie AV apps, I've used it for a long time.

But that really really annoying pop-up, which always seems to happen in the middle of a firefight online gaming and shrink the screen to the task bar :mad:

For that reason I now use Avast. One robot voice a day I can suffer.

And tbh most viruses and malware are caught through ignorance/stupidity anyway.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm sure there are ways to disable that popup Flops, i know i did it back when i was on XP. :)

Avast's voice can definitely be killed in the options somewhere, i did it on the other half's lappy.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Avira has constantly proved to be the best of the freebie AV apps, I've used it for a long time.

But that really really annoying pop-up, which always seems to happen in the middle of a firefight online gaming and shrink the screen to the task bar :mad:

For that reason I now use Avast. One robot voice a day I can suffer.

And tbh most viruses and malware are caught through ignorance/stupidity anyway.

Here you go Sir.
I have done what they say for XP home and don't get the annoying update pop ups anymore

LINK

Edit:

Ooops might also add that removing /disabling the pop ups puts you in violatian of the EULA

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I couldn't, nor never have, given a monkeys about EULAs.

I employ the Mucks 'Fingers crossed' philosophy :D

Once I have software that I've paid for or legally obtained I'll do with it what I please and damn the torpedoes :)

As for the Avira fix, there's always a fix, but Avira soon circumvent it so, quite frankly, I've given up with them.

Thanks for posting the fix but a quick Google has always found a fix for the last five years or so.

But our Teutonic cousins soon find a way round it, so sod 'em.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I employ the Mucks 'Fingers crossed' philosophy
not quite correct ... I just point blank do not agree with any EULA ... I verbally disagree.

The verbal agreement will be binding if there was an agreement on the services to be performed and an agreement was reached on remuneration for this service. This agreement can be reached by a verbal exchange in person, via telephone or via an email.
Not my fault "they" ignore my email on the matter of conformation of copyright transfer.

I bought it, it's mine. ;)

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
not quite correct ... I just point blank do not agree with any EULA ... I verbally disagree.

Not my fault "they" ignore my email on the matter of conformation of copyright transfer.

I bought it, it's mine. ;)

:user:

I stand corrected ;)

In future the ceremony will be conducted in the proper manner :)

Ask a Question