Still confused on upgrading to Avira 10 Free

MZB

I currently use the FREE edition of Avira 9.

1) When I run Avira 9 and click Updates then Product Update it updates but
does not upgrade to Avira 10. Is there a way to upgrade from this program?

2) I sometimes get the popup in lower right hand corner suggesting I
download Avira 10. If I do to the site and download/run this, will it
automatically REPLACE Avira 9.0.

3) I have read about problems with Avira 10.0 on their support forum (eg:
impossibly slow scans). Are any of you having problems with the new version.
My understanding is that they will continue to support version 9 through
September so I am wondering if I should wait (hopefully bugs will be worked
out by then)

Mel

gufus

From: MZB
Subj: Still confused on upgrading to Avira 10 FreeSat, 27 Mar 2010
13:41:11 -0400

Hello, MZB!

You wrote on Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:41:11 -0400:

M> 3) I have read about problems with Avira 10.0 on their support forum
M> (eg: impossibly slow scans). Are any of you having problems with the new

It's /REALLY/ freaking /Slow/ !!

gufus

From: MZB
Subj: Still confused on upgrading to Avira 10 FreeSat, 27 Mar 2010
13:41:11 -0400

Hello, MZB!

You wrote on Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:41:11 -0400:

M> 2) I sometimes get the popup in lower right hand corner suggesting I
M> download Avira 10. If I do to the site and download/run this, will it
M> automatically REPLACE Avira 9.0.

YES, It did here.

DAM IT!

Buffalo

MZB said:
I currently use the FREE edition of Avira 9.

1) When I run Avira 9 and click Updates then Product Update it
updates but does not upgrade to Avira 10. Is there a way to upgrade
from this program?

2) I sometimes get the popup in lower right hand corner suggesting I
download Avira 10. If I do to the site and download/run this, will it
automatically REPLACE Avira 9.0.

3) I have read about problems with Avira 10.0 on their support forum
(eg: impossibly slow scans). Are any of you having problems with the
new version. My understanding is that they will continue to support
version 9 through September so I am wondering if I should wait
(hopefully bugs will be worked out by then)

Mel

It uses more memory than 9, but I did not experience any slowdowns, except
for scanning time. It now scans for malware and rootkits of more types. I
run Win2000Pro SP4 with 1GB of memory and a 2.1GHz AMD cpu.
Mine did not automatically update by just clicking on update.
I dl'd it to a folder, shut down any running programs that were unnecessary,
including other malware scanners and clicked on the setup file (the one I
just dl'd and saved).
Keep clicking yes and when you get to the box where it asked what type of
install you want, use the middel selection (only three choices) which says
something about installing a 'new' version.
Buffalo
PS: It installs right over ver 9.

gufus

From: Buffalo
Subj: Re: Still confused on upgrading to Avira 10 FreeSat, 27 Mar 2010
12:44:29 -0600

Hello, Buffalo!

You wrote on Sat, 27 Mar 2010 12:44:29 -0600:

[...]

Hans

You should uninstall Avira and install the new Avast 5, much faster and
consumes less memory.

Hans