Auto spacing when editing original text of replies?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I feel a bit silly having to post this but I can't find any info anywhere.

Basically one of my users received an email that they were asked to comment on.
When they click REPLY and then go to edit some wordings in the original text, the first character they type automatically inserts a space before and after that character.

This doesn't happen with all emails.

I tested by forwarding the same email to myself and the same behaviour occurred to me.
I forwarded another random email from them to me and this one allowed me to edit the original text without the extra spaces.

As this doesn't happen to all emails, is it something to do with the formatting of the origianl email on the sender's Outlook/Office?

An example is as follows:

If in the original text of the reply the word "truck" was written and I wanted to insert the letter b in between the u and the c I move the cursor then press the b key. The word then looks like as the spaces have been automatically inserted:

tru b ck

You would expect it to look like trubck - with the b set to whatever your reply font is

I think this is to do with the new Smart Cut & Paste/Auto insert settings but I can't find where to turn this off for Outlook.

Anybody have any ideas?
I realise this is probably extremely simple to turn off (usually with Microsoft products it is just a checkbox) but I can't find it anywhere...

We are running clients on Outlook 2003 SP2 with Exchange 2003 SP2

Thanks
Balders

Ask a Question