Audio file splitter and marker ?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi I got a large audio file that I want to split into small parts, then burn it to a cd, with lots of chapter marks in place.Is there any good easy to use free software anyone can recomend ?

Ta.

happywave.gif

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Audacity is a free download which is excellent for audio work of all kinds. I've used it for 3-4 years and had no problems. :thumb: I know that one or two others on this forum also use it.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Read the blurb on Audacity but am unsure as to if it will do what I want.
Will it simply cut and mark up tracks, say a one hour file cut into five minute tracks, as one operation or will I have to cut each track individually ?
Ta.

happywave.gif

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
You simply record your whole track and then you can highlight any part of it and save that with its own name. So, yes, you would have to do each section individually, although I've found it quick and easy to do. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Audacity will do what you want.

Open the file, zoom in on the waveform if need be, set your markers, delete the rest then 'Export as WAV' or 'export as mp3'. Close the file do not save changes.

Do that for each chunk of audio then use Nero to burn CD selecting option 'no pause between tracks' (if that's what you want). If you don't have Nero, I'm sure there's some free burning software some of the members here use.

To use mp3's with Audacity, you'll need to import the lame codec, there are instructions how to do that at the Audacity website download page.

You mean to tell me there isn't a Linux open source software that will do this?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
You mean to tell me there isn't a Linux open source software that will do this?

I am sure that there will be.

But I did not want to spend the rest of me life looking and trying stuff out.

However I did find this,

http://www.audiobookcutter.com/documentation.html

There is a FREE and a paid for PRO version and it does what I want with a couple of clicks. It is fast and the results are very good on the two long files I have tried it on. Played back on the pc there is only the merest sign that you have gone from track to track. I'm dead impressed.

:D

Took me the best part of three minutes to download and install and read all the instructions.

user.gif

Ask a Question