Attachment wierdness

Menachem Bazian

Hi,

I have a strange issue with attachments. I have reviewed other posts on this
subject and am not too sure if they are applicable. Permit me to explain.

I have ONE person who is sending an email a person at a client. The email
contains an attachment (we tried it with a .TIF file). When the recipient
gets the attachment, it is encoded in the message as Winmail.dat but is not
visible to the user as an attachment.

The sender is using Outlook 2003 on small business server and the recipient
is using OE 6 with all the latest updates.

So far, this sounds like the RTF problem, right? Here's where it gets wierd,
though. I had the sender send the email to three people: The original
recipient, ANOTHER person at the company who is also using OE with the
latest updates and to me (I use Eudora Pro 6.x). The original recipient
could not see the attachment but the other two of us could. Furthermore,
when I forwarded the email from my computer to the original recipient, she
got the attachment fine.

So, if another OE user gets the attachment OK, is this the Outlook HTML
issue? Is there something in the settings at the recipient's end that is
affecting this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Menachem Bazian

Here is some additional information. I just did a test in which I had the
sender send an attachment through on a PLAIN TEXT message. The attachment
still is encoded. Here is the header of the message source. I have sanitized
our the server and email address names for security purposes. Perhaps this
will provide some more information:

Subject: Attachment Test
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:15:54 -0500
<B3C96C0A2969024DA1446E63B273C9BE26309D@SBSERVER.{sending server}.local>
From: {Original Sender}
To: {Receipient}
Cc: {Me}

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4CCB8.550E9D99

{Text of message was here}

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4CCB8.550E9D99

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Menachem said:
Hi,

I have a strange issue with attachments. I have reviewed other posts
on this subject and am not too sure if they are applicable. Permit me
to explain.

I have ONE person who is sending an email a person at a client. The
email contains an attachment (we tried it with a .TIF file). When the
recipient gets the attachment, it is encoded in the message as
Winmail.dat but is not visible to the user as an attachment.

The sender is using Outlook 2003 on small business server and the
recipient is using OE 6 with all the latest updates.

So far, this sounds like the RTF problem, right?

Yep. Set the mail format to Plain Text or HTML. If the recipient is in the
sender's contacts, go to the properties of the recipient's email address in
the contact (right-click on the email address) and force plain text to be
absolutely sure.

Brian Tillman

Menachem Bazian said:
So far, this sounds like the RTF problem, right? Here's where it gets
wierd, though. I had the sender send the email to three people: The
original recipient, ANOTHER person at the company who is also using
OE with the latest updates and to me (I use Eudora Pro 6.x). The
original recipient could not see the attachment but the other two of
us could. Furthermore, when I forwarded the email from my computer to
the original recipient, she got the attachment fine.

Well, Eudora _is_ able to read Rich Text, so it's not surprising why it
worked for you. I can envision why the other person received it, too.
Sending options can be set on a per-contact basis. If the sender has chosen
to not allow Rich Text to that contact, Outlook will convert the message to
another format on the way out, thereby enabling the reception of the
attachment. So, it could still be a Rich Text issue.

Menachem Bazian

Hi,

Please see a follow up I posted on this issue where I put in the header of
the message... note that it was send plain/ascii and we still have the
problem....

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"