Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo

Reaction score
Some of you guys may remember me building an Ath64 system around this Mobo a few months back. The system has performed really well, and pulls HL2, Far Cry, Painkiller at full title no probs.

But I am now really ****ed off with the mobo.

The little fan on the bridge chipset is making a noise. I had the case open, poking everything to find it, but finally, when I pressed the fan to slow it... silence. I am really hacked off because the noise really annoys me. I fitted 3x160mm fans to the case which keep it pretty cool and are quiet, but this little **** whines away.

Also.. if it's making noise, it's making friction, so it's making heat, and it's gonna stop one day and melt my chipset. I've checked all the screws are tight. Anyone know if this fan will come off easy? What should I replace it with? Are there plenty of stock chipset coolers?

Jock

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
those fans are a common problem, you can get it replaced by ASUS or use the cooler mucks linked to

Reaction score
Mucks - cheers for that bud, that cooler looks the nuts, and I've found it for under £3 including VAT!!!

Never bought from them before mind you, so might stick to someone I know.
http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=158

Screw the fan - it's history, I'm going for that static cooler. When I get the fan out, it's going in the oven at 250 celcius for an hour or so. That'll show the little bassa.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Fans monted on Northbridge are a stupid gimic ... yes it gets hot, so too does the Southbridge, better stick one on there as well.

A heatsink is all thats needed, it does help to keep the temp down on the bridges, but I really detest them fans.

Pop along to your local Maplins ... they'll have something.

:thumb:

Reaction score
I agree, especially since its clearly a half-hearted effort. I notice the updated A8N boards now have two heat pipes and a large sink - I'm guessing that's because they're having problems with returns/complaints about the fan. If you're gonna put a fan on what's otherwise an excellent board, why put a piece of tat that's going to give up?

Seriously, at less than £3 (although it's out of stock) I'll get a few and stick them all around the place.

BTW - just checked, a whopping £11.99 at Maplin....
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46914&doy=11m9

muckshifter

Reaction score
WHAT! HOW MUCH?
Actually, I was more surprised at £3 ... no wonder they are out of stock.

There are other manufacturers of them ... have a search for Nothbridge HS (no fan) and while I think the whole idea was a scam in the early days, I have burnt many a knuckle on an unprotected Nothbridge and wondered why there was no form of heat diserpation fitted to them.

They do get hot but a fan is stupid.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My NB fan on my Gigabyte GA700N Pro 2 started making a loada noise recently so I took it off, cleaned all dust off. Then peeled back the label on top and dropped one drip of 3-in-one oil in there.

It's been running quiet ever since, around two weeks now.

My DFI board comes with a good passive heatsink and as others have said, that's all you really need.

I've also fitted a small heatsink to all of my 4 motherboard south bridges, using arctic silver adhesive paste. The heatsinks cost very little and the SB does get a bit warm sometimes.

Every little bit of cooling helps :)

Reaction score
Hey Carbolic, it's gone quiet again, and I haven't been able to move my fat @rse and buy one of those zalmans. You know, they say there's only thing worse than a machine making a noise - and that's when the noise changes. It'll probably blow up this week.

muckshifter

Reaction score
It's probably already dead ... :(

But hey, no noise ... :thumb:

:D

Reaction score
I've asked my missus for a water-cooling system for me Crimbo. Sad, I know. She wonders why everyone else wants socks and I want some motley collection of pipes. Anyway, anybody here got a water-cooled system they can recommend? Want to stay under £100.

Ask a Question