ATI helps Nvidia

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My 'Media Machine' was giving out some serious fan noise and I suspected one of the two rear mounted 60mm exhaust fans in the Thermaltake Bach case.

So I took them out, cleaned them, oiled them, and put them back in.

Nope, wasn't them, stopped the Zalman CPU fan, stopped the front mounted 80mm fan, nope, wasn't them either. What the hell is that noise then? PSU?

Uh, no, it was the fan on the video card, an Asus/Nvidia 7300GS 512Mb. I wouldn't have thought so much noise could come from such a little fan.

The card is stil under warranty but that is really a lot of messing about so I rummaged through me spare bits and came up with a grafix card cooler from an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP card which died a while ago.

And it fitted :)

A little cleaning with some label remover and isopropol alcohol, a dollop of Arctic Silver and there she be, an ATI fan mounted on an Nvidia card.

Strange bedfellows eh? ;)

Graphics CPU temp was 50C, now it's 42C, so a bit of an improvement there.

In the pic below, the fan/heatsink below the card is the old one supplied by Asus with the card.

attachment.php

Attachments

• grafix.jpg
    grafix.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 192

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Haha, how ironic :D I didn't realise it was standard sizing for something like that!

Ask a Question