Are volume licensing upgrade DVDs bootable?--they do not ship full DVDs.

Chad Harris

Darrell Gorter indicated you can order a full DVD via Volume Licensing.
Volume Licensing said that is not an option and referred me to their
website.

"Hello,
Why? when you can request the full media instead?
Since Volume License Upgrade is not bootable, your options are limited, so
just request full media.
Thanks,"

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

You cannot request full media with a volume license according to Volume
Licesning at MSFT and the web page they referred me to.

We still have an outstanding question on this because I JUST called Volume
Licensing at 1-800-MICROSOFT, and they said the option you mentioned for
full media is not part of their program and referred me to a web page that
confirms this:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/quiz_vol.mspx

"Note: It's important to understand that Volume License Agreements do not
cover the full windows operating system; Volume Licensing provides for
Windows OS upgrades only. Customers must first have a qualifying underlying
operating system license before installing Volume License software on their
computers."

They referred me to this statement and confirmed it so I am not sure where
you are hearing that Volume Licensing has an option for full media. Volume
Licensing at MSFT says "clearly that's not the case."

The outstanding question is are volume licensing DVDs bootable since the
Volume License purchaser is getting an upgrade DVD.

I'm also not clear what this phrase you used means exactly and I mean the
one "assumed you have a compliant OS licesnse already."

What is a compliant license and why would there be an assumption that a new
volume licesne purchaser might have any license alreay--what does compliant
mean in this context?

"Hello,
Only the upgrade volume media may not be bootable.
Since all Volume License media is assumed that you have a compliant OS
license already.
The VL licenses are for upgrade media licensing even though you can request
full media, the license is still upgrade.
Thanks,"

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Note: It's important to understand that Volume License Agreements do not
cover the full windows operating system; Volume Licensing provides for
Windows OS upgrades only. Customers must first have a qualifying underlying
operating system license before installing Volume License software on their
computers.

So I would appreciate it if you could clarify whether a Volume License DVD
is bootable?

Also can you state that *every upgrade DVD that MSFT sells is bootable*
including anything OEM from MSFT because MSFT does have OEM DVDs--I have
them from XP and Office in prior years--but they are also marked not for
sale.

I'm looking for any scenario where someone who purchases an upgrade DVD from
MSFT cannot boot with it and use Win RE's panoply of tools which I
understand to be these (and the Memory Diagnostic Tool) which can be
accessed to run on the next boot from Vista as well as from the Win RE
environment.

Win RE's major components to repair Vista which would be Startup Repair,
System
Restore *from Win RE which I find superior to SR using the Volume Shadow
system adapted from the Windows Server environment, restoring the boot
sector using the bootsect /nt52 SYS from the Windows Recovery Environment
discussed in the MSKB directly below, and the Memory Diagnostics Tool.

How to troubleshoot scenarios in which the rollback phase was unsuccessful
after you upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927523/en-us

and something that has not been mentioned that I can tell to date on this
group or much in the TBT groups:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

Startup Repair can also be used when there is not a problem booting into
Windows Vista and when it works which is not all the time (you should repeat
2-3 times if it does not) fix major broken Vista components:

A Stop error occurs, or the computer stops responding when you try to start
Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

Thank you,

CH

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
Why? when you can request the full media instead?
Since Volume License Upgrade is not bootable, your options are limited, so
just request full media.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: Nina DiBoy <[email protected]>
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>Subject: Re: How MSFT has blocked your repairing Vista--if No DVD or
Upgrade
|> DVD
|>Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:00:26 -0600
|>
|>Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:
|>> Hello,
|>> Onl;y the upgrade volume media may not be bootable.
|>> Since all Volume License media is assumed that you have a compliant OS
|>> license already.
|>> The VL licenses are for upgrade media licensing even though you can
request
|>> full media, the license is still upgrade.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights

|>Is there anyway to use the VL upgrade media/licence to do a full, clean
|>fresh install?
|>
|>> --------------------
|>> Upgrade

0.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!newspeer1.de.telia.net!newspeer4.de.telia.net!
|>> de.telia.net!aioe.org!not-for-mail

product
key
Upgrade
DVD
|>> and
Upgrade
|>> bootable or
|>> supposed

|>> rights

|>--
|>Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
|>http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html
|>
|>"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
|>- T. S. Eliot

Jane C

Media Considerations
Volume License Product Use Rights require that you have a previous
qualifying operating system license for each copy of Windows Vista you
deploy. The default 32-bit Volume License media are upgrade-only and are not
bootable (64-bit Volume License media are not restricted in this way, since
there is no supported upgrade path). You must first boot a previous version
of Windows and then run the setup to install Windows Vista. ***Bootable
media is also available on request through your Volume License portal.***

Taken from:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact1.mspx

Thanks to Nina DiBoy for tracking it down.

--
Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
Why? when you can request the full media instead?
Since Volume License Upgrade is not bootable, your options are limited,
so
just request full media.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights
--------------------
|>From: Nina DiBoy <[email protected]>
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>Subject: Re: How MSFT has blocked your repairing Vista--if No DVD or
Upgrade
|> DVD
|>Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:00:26 -0600
|>
|>Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:
|>> Hello,
|>> Onl;y the upgrade volume media may not be bootable.
|>> Since all Volume License media is assumed that you have a compliant
OS
|>> license already.
|>> The VL licenses are for upgrade media licensing even though you can
request
|>> full media, the license is still upgrade.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights

|>Is there anyway to use the VL upgrade media/licence to do a full, clean
|>fresh install?
|>
|>> --------------------
|>> Upgrade

0.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!newspeer1.de.telia.net!newspeer4.de.telia.net!
|>> de.telia.net!aioe.org!not-for-mail

product
key
Upgrade
DVD
|>> and
Upgrade
|>> bootable or
|>> supposed

|>> rights

|>--
|>Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
|>http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html
|>
|>"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
|>- T. S. Eliot

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Thanks Jane,
Chad I answered both your other posts on this that were made earlier. I
rechecked that my answers were valid so it took some time
Please check the other posts.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> [...]
|>>
|>> How to troubleshoot scenarios in which the rollback phase was
unsuccessful
|>> after you upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista
|>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927523/en-us
|>>
|>> and something that has not been mentioned that I can tell to date on
this
|>> group or much in the TBT groups:
|>>
|>> How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
|>> troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista
|>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us
|>>
|>> Startup Repair can also be used when there is not a problem booting into
|>> Windows Vista and when it works which is not all the time (you should
|>> repeat
|>> 2-3 times if it does not) fix major broken Vista components:
|>>
|>> A Stop error occurs, or the computer stops responding when you try to

message

0.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!news.karotte.org!news2.arglkargh.de!news.cnetm

DVD

TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEEDS01.phx.gbl!newsfeed0

0.sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!newspeer1.de.telia.net!newspeer4.de.telia.net!

Nina DiBoy

Jane said:
Media Considerations
Volume License Product Use Rights require that you have a previous
qualifying operating system license for each copy of Windows Vista you
deploy. The default 32-bit Volume License media are upgrade-only and are
not bootable (64-bit Volume License media are not restricted in this
way, since there is no supported upgrade path). You must first boot a
previous version of Windows and then run the setup to install Windows
Vista. ***Bootable media is also available on request through your
Volume License portal.***

Taken from:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact1.mspx

Thanks to Nina DiBoy for tracking it down.

:) Glad I could be of assistance.

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"Nope. Just CLUELESS CUNTS LIKE YOU too stupid to work it out. Thank
the bittorent brigade."

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot

Chad Harris

Darrell--

I have been catching up, and I read your three posts on this group
clarifying this issue and they are very much appreciated, as well as the
time where you had to call around to get your hands on the upgrade media and
to clear some of this up. My mission is simply to find a way that everyone
has access to the panoply of Win RE based tools on media, Please take a
look at some of the work Colin Barnhorst is doing and posting recently on
this group as he goes through various upgrade scenarios. It would make for
a nice article on the MSFT site and a good comprehensive MSKB when finished.

We don't have that many MSFT Vista team members participating in these
groups, and it is particularly nice to have someone who has been dealing
with Vista setup issues, etc. to contribute, and we appreciate Jill
Zoeller's help also.

Thanks to Nina and Jane for the link on getting X64 media and CD media which
should help some people. If you have to order a 64 bit DVD or would want
the 5 CDs to install Vista (I'm not sure if they come in 32 bit or 64 bit
Vista, (the 5 CDs). I'm not a fan of MSFT charging an extra $9.50 for the
64 bit DVDs, but I have no idea of what the cost factors are. I would have
preferred that they just include it and add a little to the cost of the
Vista editions other than ultimate instead of adding that extra logistical
step.

I understand that only the Volume licensing upgrade media is not bootable,
and from what you say there is the option for full media in that program.

I'll try to keep any threads I make separate, or to be very careful to
distinguish between Volume Licensing upgrade media and any other upgrade
media. No one wants anyone confused or any more confused than some people
are.

MSFT has the people to write a nice clear Setup and Upgrade article on their
site to cover these scenarios and it would be a great help. Colin
Barnhorst's work should be included in them.

Your time is very appreciated.

CH

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
> [...]

|>> How to troubleshoot scenarios in which the rollback phase was
unsuccessful
|>> after you upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista
|>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927523/en-us
|>>
|>> and something that has not been mentioned that I can tell to date on
this
|>> group or much in the TBT groups:
|>>
|>> How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
|>> troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista
|>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us
|>>
|>> Startup Repair can also be used when there is not a problem booting
into
|>> Windows Vista and when it works which is not all the time (you should
|>> repeat
|>> 2-3 times if it does not) fix major broken Vista components:
|>>
|>> A Stop error occurs, or the computer stops responding when you try to

message