Volume License - I need CLEAN install, not upgrade?

Gerry Hickman

Hi,

I read in the "step by step" Vista Activation v2.0 guide where it said

<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact1.mspx>

"Volume License Product Use Rights require that you have a previous
qualifying operating system license for each copy of Windows Vista you
deploy. The default 32-bit Volume License media are upgrade-only and are
not bootable. You must first boot a previous version of Windows and then
run the setup to install Windows Vista."

1. I need to do CLEAN installs, not upgrades

2. If a hard drive crashes, I need to be be able to install WITHOUT
"booting a previous version of Windows"!

Can anyone clarify?

Gerry Hickman

Hi Erik,
I have the Enterprise VL DVD and can boot from it just fine.

Thanks, but this doesn't answer my question. I want to know if it's
breach of the volume license, and I want to know why it says that in the
step by step Activation 2.0 guide?

Josh

Gerry,

This is best answered by your Microsoft account team. The answer can vary
based on the programs you are member of and how you got your current
license. It is best to get any type of information like this that could have
"Legal" ramifications directly from them and not this public newsgroup.
Though we do love to give answers

:D

Gerry Hickman

Hi Josh,

We're on open license.

I want to know why it says this in the Activation 2.0 document on the
Vista website. This document is published, it's already public. I want
to know why it says that.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Gerry,
You need to request Full Volume media. The default is upgrade media, but
the option to request full media is available.
The requirements don't change, but the media would be bootable and you will
be able to boot to the dvd and clean install.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:00:12 +0000
<From: Gerry Hickman <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re: Volume License - I need CLEAN install, not upgrade?
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
<
<Hi Josh,
<
<We're on open license.
<
<I want to know why it says this in the Activation 2.0 document on the
<Vista website. This document is published, it's already public. I want
<to know why it says that.
<
<Josh wrote:
<> Gerry,
<>
<> This is best answered by your Microsoft account team. The answer can
<> vary based on the programs you are member of and how you got your
<> current license. It is best to get any type of information like this
<> that could have "Legal" ramifications directly from them and not this
<> public newsgroup. Though we do love to give answers
<>
<> :D
<>
<>
<
<
<--
<Gerry Hickman (London UK)
<

Gerry Hickman

Hi Darrell,

Thanks for the help with this. I will request full media.

I think the wording in the Windows Activation 2.0 guide should be changed.