Volume License File Versions

I have a Volume License Agreement with MS, and Vista Business showed up last
night for download. Here's my question, there are two different 32 bit
versions on the site. They're both listed as being the same size, but have
different labels. One also requires the acknowledgement checkbox be checked
before downloading and the other doesn't.

Here's the two choices:

Windows Vista Business 32-bit English Disk Kit MVL DVD English
Windows Vista Business 32-bit English Disk Kit MVL DVD UPG

Anyone know what the difference is, or can point me to where it's explained?
Maybe there isn't a difference in the actual file, but one has the UPG
(upgrade?) and the other doesn't. I just don't want to waste time downloading
the wrong one.

Thanks

TBA

Look under SA not windows. Under SA you have enterprise thats the one. I
have no idea what UPG means but like you I guess that it means upgrade.

TB

Wow, I missed the SA stuff altogether. Thanks for pointing that out.

Now if we can just figure out the naming stuff. :)

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Mike,
UPG is the upgrade version. It does compliance checking for a legacy
version of Windows so setup needs to be started from within Windows to be
able to use this version.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZV9L?= <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re: Volume License File Versions
<Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:36:01 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<"TBA" wrote:
<
<> Look under SA not windows. Under SA you have enterprise thats the one. I
<> have no idea what UPG means but like you I guess that it means upgrade.
<>
<> TB
<> "Mike_K" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
<> <> >I have a Volume License Agreement with MS, and Vista Business showed up
<> >last
<> > night for download. Here's my question, there are two different 32 bit
<> > versions on the site. They're both listed as being the same size, but
have
<> > different labels. One also requires the acknowledgement checkbox be
<> > checked
<> > before downloading and the other doesn't.
<> >
<> > Here's the two choices:
<> >
<> > Windows Vista Business 32-bit English Disk Kit MVL DVD English
<> > Windows Vista Business 32-bit English Disk Kit MVL DVD UPG
<> >
<> > Anyone know what the difference is, or can point me to where it's
<> > explained?
<> > Maybe there isn't a difference in the actual file, but one has the UPG
<> > (upgrade?) and the other doesn't. I just don't want to waste time
<> > downloading
<> > the wrong one.
<> >
<> > Thanks
<>
<>
<>
<

John Barnes

Will it be possible to do a clean install on the same partition (delete and
format) as the qualifying system after checking, or will it have to be
installed on a new partition.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Mike,
UPG is the upgrade version. It does compliance checking for a legacy
version of Windows so setup needs to be started from within Windows to be
able to use this version.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZV9L?= <[email protected]>
<Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:36:01 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[...]

K. Dickson

In my previous experiences with Windows Upgrades - most of the time if you
have the CD or DVD of the "Qualifying OS" the upgrade will accept that and
install on a blank Hard drive.

Kevin Dickson

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Mike,
UPG is the upgrade version. It does compliance checking for a legacy
version of Windows so setup needs to be started from within Windows to be
able to use this version.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights
--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZV9L?= <[email protected]>
<Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:36:01 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[...]

Read Darrell's posts. With Vista you will have to do the install from
within an activated qualifying product, not just pop in the CD anymore. At
least that is what I understand from 'started from within Windows'

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Mike,
UPG is the upgrade version. It does compliance checking for a legacy
version of Windows so setup needs to be started from within Windows to
be
able to use this version.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights
--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZV9L?= <[email protected]>
<Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:36:01 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<"TBA" wrote:
<
[...]

Also could you confirm whether someone could then install the 64-bit version
of Vista from an XP86 or is the upgrade only from 86 to 86 or 64 to 64.
Does the version of XP have to be activated and does the product have to
have the Genuine process run before it will qualify?
Thanks

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Mike,
UPG is the upgrade version. It does compliance checking for a legacy
version of Windows so setup needs to be started from within Windows to be
able to use this version.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZV9L?= <[email protected]>
<Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:36:01 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
[...]

David Wilkinson

Darrell said:
Hello Mike,
UPG is the upgrade version. It does compliance checking for a legacy
version of Windows so setup needs to be started from within Windows to be
able to use this version.

Darrell:

Is this really true? What if you have lost your legacy system due to
hard drive failure? Or what if you don't have room on your hard drive
for both OS's?

David Wilkinson

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello John,
I don't think so I haven't tried that scenario, you will not be able to
remove the underlying OS from the volume(either the boot or the system
volume), clean install would need to be to another volume. If the boot and
system partitions were different you may be able to remove the boot
partition( the one that contains \windows), but you wouldn't be able to
remove the "system" partition ( the one containing the boot files) since
the Windows Vista temp files are located on that volume and you can't
remove the temp files out from under setup.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "John Barnes" <[email protected]>
<Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:01:34 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<Will it be possible to do a clean install on the same partition (delete
and
<format) as the qualifying system after checking, or will it have to be
<installed on a new partition.
<
<
<<> Hello Mike,
<> UPG is the upgrade version. It does compliance checking for a legacy
<> version of Windows so setup needs to be started from within Windows to be
<> able to use this version.
<> Thanks,
<> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<>
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> --------------------
<> <From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZV9L?= <[email protected]>
<> <Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:36:01 -0800
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<> <
<> <Wow, I missed the SA stuff altogether. Thanks for pointing that out.
<> <
<> <Now if we can just figure out the naming stuff. :)
<> <
<> <"TBA" wrote:
<> <
<> <> Look under SA not windows. Under SA you have enterprise thats the
one.
<> I
<> <> have no idea what UPG means but like you I guess that it means
upgrade.
<> <>
<> <> TB
<> <> "Mike_K" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
<> <> <> <> >I have a Volume License Agreement with MS, and Vista Business showed
<> up
<> <> >last
<> <> > night for download. Here's my question, there are two different 32
<> bit
<> <> > versions on the site. They're both listed as being the same size,
but
<> have
<> <> > different labels. One also requires the acknowledgement checkbox be
<> <> > checked
<> <> > before downloading and the other doesn't.
<> <> >
<> <> > Here's the two choices:
<> <> >
[...]

Hello John and Kevin,
That is correct. You have to be inside the existing OS. No more insert
the legacy CD\DVD for detection.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "John Barnes" <[email protected]>
<Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:53:11 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
[...]
<>>
<>>
message
<>> <>>> Hello Mike,
<>>> UPG is the upgrade version. It does compliance checking for a legacy
<>>> version of Windows so setup needs to be started from within Windows to
<>>> be
<>>> able to use this version.
<>>> Thanks,
<>>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<>>>
<>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
<>>> rights
<>>> --------------------
<>>> <Thread-Topic: Volume License File Versions
<>>> <thread-index: AccJvtSmo+6rgl7ERB+7U0fSLKa80Q==
<>>> <X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 64.53.251.103
<>>> <From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZV9L?= <[email protected]>
<>>> <References: <[email protected]>
<>>> <#[email protected]>
<>>> <Subject: Re: Volume License File Versions
<>>> <Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:36:01 -0800
<>>> <Lines: 36
<>>> <Message-ID: <[email protected]>
<>>> <MIME-Version: 1.0
<>>> <Content-Type: text/plain;
<>>> < charset="Utf-8"
<>>> <Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<>>> <X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
<>>> <Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
<>>> <Importance: normal
<>>> <Priority: normal
<>>> <X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.1830
<>>> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<>>> <Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
<>>> <Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
<>>> microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:60298
<>>> <NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl 10.40.2.250
<>>> <X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<>>> <
<>>> <Wow, I missed the SA stuff altogether. Thanks for pointing that out.
<>>> <
<>>> <Now if we can just figure out the naming stuff. :)
<>>> <
<>>> <"TBA" wrote:
<>>> <
<>>> <> Look under SA not windows. Under SA you have enterprise thats the
<>>> one. I
<>>> <> have no idea what UPG means but like you I guess that it means
<>>> upgrade.
<>>> <>
<>>> <> TB
<>>> <> "Mike_K" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
<>>> <> <>>> <> >I have a Volume License Agreement with MS, and Vista Business
showed
<>>> up
<>>> <> >last
<>>> <> > night for download. Here's my question, there are two different
32
<>>> bit
<>>> <> > versions on the site. They're both listed as being the same size,
<>>> but
<>>> have
<>>> <> > different labels. One also requires the acknowledgement checkbox
be
<>>> <> > checked
<>>> <> > before downloading and the other doesn't.
<>>> <> >
<>>> <> > Here's the two choices:
<>>> <> >
[...]

Hello David,
Then you need the full version of the product.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:13:24 -0500
<From: David Wilkinson <[email protected]>
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:
<
<> Hello Mike,
<> UPG is the upgrade version. It does compliance checking for a legacy
<> version of Windows so setup needs to be started from within Windows to
be
<> able to use this version.
<
<Darrell:
<
<Is this really true? What if you have lost your legacy system due to
<hard drive failure? Or what if you don't have room on your hard drive
<for both OS's?
<
<David Wilkinson
<
<

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello John,
You do have to be inside the same platform of the OS to run setup. So you
cannot run 64-bit setup from within a 32-bit OS nor can you run 32-bit
setup from within a 64-bit OS
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "John Barnes" <[email protected]>
<Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:57:22 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<Also could you confirm whether someone could then install the 64-bit
version
<of Vista from an XP86 or is the upgrade only from 86 to 86 or 64 to 64.
<Does the version of XP have to be activated and does the product have to
<have the Genuine process run before it will qualify?
<Thanks
<
<<> Hello Mike,
<> UPG is the upgrade version. It does compliance checking for a legacy
<> version of Windows so setup needs to be started from within Windows to be
<> able to use this version.
<> Thanks,
<> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<>
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> --------------------
<> <From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZV9L?= <[email protected]>
<> <Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:36:01 -0800
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<> <
<> <Wow, I missed the SA stuff altogether. Thanks for pointing that out.
<> <
<> <Now if we can just figure out the naming stuff. :)
<> <
<> <"TBA" wrote:
<> <
[...]

Rick Lipkin

To All

I made a post a yesterday on downloading Volume Licensing .. and by default
you get Vista Business with a default PID. You will need to set up an
activation server within your organization or get a multiple MAK from your
Vendor.

Dealing with those technicalities now.

Rick Lipkin
SC Dept of Health, USA

John Barnes

Thanks Darrell. Guess that means that anyone wishing to switch to 64-bit
computing with Vista will have to own the Xp X64 or buy the full product.
That's going to leave alot of consumers in the 32-bit world.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello John,
You do have to be inside the same platform of the OS to run setup. So you
cannot run 64-bit setup from within a 32-bit OS nor can you run 32-bit
setup from within a 64-bit OS
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "John Barnes" <[email protected]>
<Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:57:22 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
[...]
<> <From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZV9L?= <[email protected]>
<> <Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:36:01 -0800
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<> <
<> <Wow, I missed the SA stuff altogether. Thanks for pointing that out.
<> <
<> <Now if we can just figure out the naming stuff. :)
<> <
<> <

Darrell said:
Hello David,
Then you need the full version of the product.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hi Darrel:

Doesn't bother me, because I don't buy upgrades, but this rule seems to
make upgrade versions pretty useless for many people, and very
inconvenient for everybody.

Or is this just for volume license upgrades? Is the retail upgrade like
this? If so, there are going to be lot of unhappy people.

David Wilkinson

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Hello Darrel -

So that folks do not misunderstand, are you suggesting
that folks who purchase an "upgrade version" of Windows
Vista will not be able to perform a "clean install"?

And if a user does wish to perform a "clean install", the
legacy operating system (i.e. Windows XP) would have
to be installed first, then upgraded to Windows Vista?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

| Hello John and Kevin,
| That is correct. You have to be inside the existing OS. No more insert
| the legacy CD\DVD for detection.
| Thanks,
| Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|
| This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Carey,
What I am stating is that you need to be inside an existing copy of Windows
to use a upgrade version.
As long as setup is started from inside a version of Windows that meets the
compliance check, you can then do either an upgrade or a clean install.
What you cannot do is boot to the DVD, use an upgrade product key and do a
clean install(or an upgrade). When you enter an upgrade product key, you
will be told to "To use the product key you entered, start the installation
from your existing version of Windows."

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <[email protected]>
<Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:53:35 -0600
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<Hello Darrel -
<
<So that folks do not misunderstand, are you suggesting
<that folks who purchase an "upgrade version" of Windows
<Vista will not be able to perform a "clean install"?
<
<And if a user does wish to perform a "clean install", the
<legacy operating system (i.e. Windows XP) would have
<to be installed first, then upgraded to Windows Vista?
<
<--
<Carey Frisch
<Microsoft MVP
<Windows Shell/User
<
<---------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
<
<"Darrell Gorter [MSFT]" wrote:
<
<| Hello John and Kevin,
<| That is correct. You have to be inside the existing OS. No more insert
<| the legacy CD\DVD for detection.
<| Thanks,
<| Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
<|
<| This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<
<
<

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Hi Darrell -

Please comment on these scenarios:

A Windows user purchases an "upgrade version" of Vista
and performs a "clean install" from Windows 2000 as you describe.
If for some reason the user's Vista installation becomes fatally
corrupt and another "clean install" is required, the user would
have to perform a "clean install" of his legacy Windows 2000
CD, then begin the "clean install" of Vista while at the Windows 2000
desktop?

And if a user happens to purchase a new PC that came with Windows XP
preinstalled (no CD - only a recovery partition), then purchased and installed an"upgrade version" of Vista and later suffered a
hard drive
failure, would the Vista user have to contact the PC manufacturer,
obtain a Windows XP recovery CD/DVD, install it, then upgrade again
to Vista? If this is true and the user took his PC to a repair shop
and requested them to install a new hard drive and reinstall Vista,
and the user has no Windows XP recovery CD, what is the repair shop
to do - tell the customer he now needs to purchase a "Full Version"
of Windows Vista?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

| Hello Carey,
| What I am stating is that you need to be inside an existing copy of Windows
| to use a upgrade version.
| As long as setup is started from inside a version of Windows that meets the
| compliance check, you can then do either an upgrade or a clean install.
| What you cannot do is boot to the DVD, use an upgrade product key and do a
| clean install(or an upgrade). When you enter an upgrade product key, you
| will be told to "To use the product key you entered, start the installation
| from your existing version of Windows."
|
| Thanks,
| Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|
| This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Carey,
Yes to both scenarios.
Thanks,

[...]