Are there newsgroups for Windows 7?

Shenan Stanley

The said:
I can't find any English newsgroups for Windows 7. Can anyone help?

Newsgroups for Windows 7 hosted by Microsoft servers? No.
Microsoft has chosen to steer away from newsgroups, it seems.

Web Forums for Windows 7 hosted by Microsoft servers? Yes.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

Newsgroups for Windows 7 hosted by non-Microsoft servers? Yes.

For future issues like these, might I suggest that now is a great time to
point you to one of the easiest ways to find information on problems
and queries you may be having and solutions others have found:

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

For example (specific to this conversation):
http://www.google.com/search?q=Are+there+newsgroups+for+"Windows+7"?

Many of the same questions (similarly phrased) come up with the answers
others received - many (naturally) from this newsgroups and the locations
which they were synched to.

Ken Blake, MVP

I can't find any English newsgroups for Windows 7. Can anyone help?

Unfortunately it's highly unlikely that there will be any Microsoft
Windows 7 newsgroups. Apparently Microsoft has decided that web-based
forums are better than newsgroups and they are putting their efforts
there. I'm personally sorry that's the case, but it's their decision,
not mine. Go to Go to
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx?tab=2

However there is at least one non-Microsoft Windows 7 newsgroup:
alt.windows7.general. Not all servers carry it (at least not yet), but
here's one free news server that does: aioe.org

The Learner

[...]

Seems like there's a little "language" I have to learn, i.e.
%22Windows+7%22%3F. Is that true? Also, thanks for the suggestion

Shenan Stanley

<snip>

<entire conversation, archived indefinitely>
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...a.general/browse_frm/thread/2cc281c4513378e3/

The said:
Seems like there's a little "language" I have to learn, i.e.
%22Windows+7%22%3F. Is that true?
Also, thanks for the suggestion

No language. That is the URL - if you look in the search field itself (when
you visit the web page link it is a part of), you will see what it equates
to is this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Are+there+newsgroups+for+"Windows+7"?

The q= (query equals) is simply...
Are there newsgroups for "Windows 7"?
The URL version changes quotation marks to %22 and the question mark to %3F.

So - again, the query I did was your subject line with only *one*
modification. That modification was putting quotation marks around Windows
7 so that Google treated it as a phrase instead of two separate words to
look for.

You are welcome!

Shenan Stanley

The said:
I can't find any English newsgroups for Windows 7. Can anyone
help?

Terry said:
Others mentioned <alt.windows7.general> but many are receiving
in subject line.

First point: Yes, they are - but they are also usually offered directions
to the proper place to post by those 'in the know' as well.

Second point: I can probably walk into some situations and shout, "I have
$10,000 U.S. and need a tumor removed - anyone here care to assist?" and
probably get some takers (and I might get lucky too) - but I would think it
wiser to actually go to the correct place for my issue. ;-)

Shenan Stanley

Shenan said:
First point: Yes, they are - but they are also usually offered
directions to the proper place to post by those 'in the know' as
well.

Second point: I can probably walk into some situations and shout,
"I have $10,000 U.S. and need a tumor removed - anyone here care to
assist?" and probably get some takers (and I might get lucky too) -
but I would think it wiser to actually go to the correct place for
my issue. ;-)

Terry said:
You say the "proper place" but don't say where the "proper place"
is.

I contradict you by saying most Win 7 questions "ARE" answered in
Vista groups.

You don't come across to me as "One in the know"

You come across as a "Clown".

I'm finding that I don't need help but read MS newsgroups and
follow Win 7 threads to pick up tips.

I responded previously in this conversation with the 'proper place' and the
original poster responded to my response.

In case you don't know how to review an entire conversation, here is the
link to the indefinitely archived Google Groups version of this
conversation...
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...a.general/browse_frm/thread/2cc281c4513378e3/

There you can find where the official Microsoft support web forums for
Windows 7 are (I posted it in my original response ot the OP).

An Internet search would also reveal this query being asked/answered many
times; also that many times, when someone posts a Windows 7 query in these
newsgroups, they are told where else they can post for better assistance. I
was merely making that point and that they would receive better/more
directed assistance in a place where experts in Windows 7 *do* hang out more
often than perhaps a group for another operating system (like Windows
Vista).

Sure - you can put "Outlook 2007" in your subject line and pist here and
maybe someone will help you out with your Outlook 2007 issue - but you are
more likely to find the real experts in the Outlook newsgroups.

As far as your other comments - if that is all it takes for you to make an
@$$ clown out of yourself... *shrug* Good luck with that.

Tim Slattery

The Learner said:
I can't find any English newsgroups for Windows 7. Can anyone help?

Microsoft has not created any Win7 newsgroups in the
microsoft.public.* hierarchy. They want everybody to use the web
forums. You can use the Usenet group alt.windows7.general