Any Car Experts?!

Reaction score
Hey,

Well, i was going to go part-exchange my car for the new one i mentioned to you guys, and when i went to drive out my driveway, it wouldnt move!! Turns out my back passenger side break is ceased on!! Marvelous. Why do these things always happens when you least need it?!!

Anyone have any experience of this or know the best way to go about fixing it? Basically, when i try and move, the car feels like the breaks are still on, i can move a little bit, but while the three other wheels move, the back one just skids. It's leaving a lovely big skid mark on my parents brick drive!! :blush:

Thanks again amigos.

Bodhi

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Sounds like the brake caliper has seized :(

I found this - it may help?:

Remove the bad caliper from the car but leave the hydaulic hose connected.
Have a friend slowly push on the pedal to determine which side of the caliper the piston is seized in (maybe both sides?).
Once found take a C-clamp and firmly compress the good piston tight in the caliper.
Then (for safety sake) put a block of wood slightly smaller than the opening left in the caliper (3/8-1/2" smaller).
Now have your friend push hard on the pedal.Watch and either the piston will move or not.
Once it starts to move carefully push it out of it's bore but remember NOT to push the piston completely out!(Hence the wood block) Then use another c-clamp and compress the piston back in the caliper. Repeating this process several times can "free up" a slightly sticking caliper.
BTW you can add a little WD-40 to help penetrate and remove any rust in the caliper bore.
If this doesn't free the sticking pistion then you must remove the bad caliper from the car and replace it.

Reaction score
I had that happen once, the handbrake seized on.

If your car isnt powerful, its likely you have drum brakes and not disk brakes as per Ady's description.

For my rear stuck drums. What i did was gently rock the car by having the handbrake off, and lifting then depressing the clutch so as to try and free the car without letting it drag the stuck wheel.

Then there was an almighty bang and it released. No side effects, all works fine :)

Reaction score
How to rectify brake seizure on one or more wheels, after finding which is the offending wheel/wheels> chock the wheels of the others [freewheeling] > loosen the wheel nuts of the seized wheel/wheels jack up the car at the jacking point secure with axle stands> remove the wheel/wheels> now check that the wheel drum/caliper if the DRUM is dry turn the adjuster to slacken the brake shoes [fully] now with a hammer hit the center of the drum near the securing screw [not the edge] loosen the screw and remove the drum if it is still tight tap it round the edge [not to hard] and work it back and forth until it is removed,> check to see what is seized it may be the hand brake connector or the cylinder? If it is the cylinder clamp the brake hose and remove the cylinder and replace with a new one this applies to a leaking cylinder also bleed as required, don’t try to free it, as it would be a possibility of danger should it collapse whilst driving and applying the brakes? If it is the hand brake connector apply WD40 and work it free, replace the wheel and do a test-drive. If the car won’t stop you have done something wrong? ;)

Reaction score
Hey guys, Yeah, its a Toyota Yaris 1.0, 6 years old. It drove from York to Edinburgh on Sunday then didnt move til Wed where i did a short drive. Now on Friday its all seized up. Bugger!! And i need to part-exchange it this weekend!!

Thats for the advice itsme, however i did laugh cause i dont understand half of it!! Im NOT a car person. Computers are my thing, obviously. My mates coming round bout 6pm to see if he can do anything, so fingers crossed.

I like Chris's idea of just rocking it back and forward, might try that, not too keen on the massive bang. As i'll be expecting it i'll probably sh*t myself!! haha.

Reaction score
I nearly did need a change of underpants because the shoes let go with quite a bang but then you just laugh because everything works again.

This is the thing with damp weather and leaving the car stationary with handbrake ok - it happens. If the driveway is level i's be tempted just to leave the handbrake off and the car in gear...

Though if the engine is off in my car and you leave it in gear all the wheels can still spin freely (found that when i figured you cant actually bump start my car because you lift the clutch and nothing happens) but thats another story!

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Thats for the advice itsme, however i did laugh cause i dont understand half of it!! Im NOT a car person. Computers are my thing, obviously. My mates coming round bout 6pm to see if he can do anything, so fingers crossed.

Ok there is a quicker way well a few acutually 1 drive it in the hope you will release the brake, 2 get a match light it and accidently burn the bloody car out,
3 drive it to the garage PX it and leave rather quickly in the new car
laughingsmiley.gif

On a more serious note however a garage will not bother to test drive a PX unless it is a classy vehicle;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
If your car isnt powerful, its likely you have drum brakes and not disk brakes as per Ady's description.
I think you still have a caliper/cylinder to push the shoes against the drum ;)

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
I think you still have a caliper/cylinder to push the shoes against the drum ;)

My bad... (im no car expert either) i misunderstood you to mean the caliper that goes around the discs...

I've never opeend up a drum brake before, and the only time i have messed with a brake caliper is when i was painting it red :p

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Already knew itsme - just pointing it out to Chris ;)

Used to get seized ones all the time on my old Marina Coupe :D

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Ady

So this is what you got up to m8 :lol:

Attachments

• morris_marina01.jpg
    morris_marina01.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 103
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Already knew itsme - just pointing it out to Chris ;)

I used to do Crypling tuning on them:lol:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Don't panic.....:p

It's just the brake shoes sticking inside the drum...Rock the vehicle gently if that doesn't release it then whip the wheel off and get a rubber Mallet and give the drum a good whack on the top and work your way round clockwise, by the time you have come full circle it should be released and loose enough for you to turn the drum with your hands ...

Whack the wheel back on again and off ya go....Anybody would think it was rocket science...:rolleyes:

By the way nice car Ady....:lol:

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
It was my first car - very reliable 'til I drove it into a wall whilst p*ssed
laughingsmiley.gif

Ady i'm afraid i'm going to have to arrest you on suspicion of driving a motor vehicle whilst unfit through the influence of drink or drugs.

You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defense if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence.

;) Just kidding​

I like the look of that car - we had an opel kadett once... kind of similar looking. Shame we sold it. But now we have the Stag V8, which is better :D

Ask a Question