Antivir v. AVG

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've been looking at the threads regarding AV software. The feeling amongst the experts is that AVG is quite good but I get the feeling that Antivir is more favoured. I am using AVG at the moment and do not appear to have any problems.
Always wishing to use "The Best" I looked at Antivir and could not find anything about it scanning emails (which AVG does). Is this a problem or would it simply pick up a virus once it was through the email system? Is it better to intercept the virus at the email level and does this stop it ever getting into the computer in the first place? Or, by then, is it too late?
Any advice appreciated.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
There are no experts, just lots of people with different levels of experience.... ;)

Antivir is the best one.

There have been a rake of threads on this subject on this Forum and in one of them Mucks linked to some independent reports that showed Antivir is the best freebie. It don't compare with paid-for AV software but for nowt it's not bad at all.

Avast is another freebie that's worth considering.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm a parrot ... repeat after me;

You get what you pay for ... murphy's rule applys ... there is always exceptions to any rule.

There is no such thing as the "best" AV program ... I just try to put them in context ... ask yourself, What is an AVs program main job? :thumb:

Antivir uses its "on-access" scanner that will catch any threats before they're opened.

You must learn how to use ANY program on your PC

If you wan't free, use what the hell you like, but, make sure you have HJT handy when asked for.

:)

Reaction score
I use Avast.

No real reason, just ended up using it.

It has an On-access scanner, and it does pretty quick system scans too :thumb:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I used to use AVG, till it went south. :(
now i use AntiVir, it seems to work just as fine, so no complaints from me.

Ask a Question