Another Yank on the forum?! :)

Reaction score
Hi people,

Greetings from accross the pond! Some twenty years ago I had the wonderful opportunity to live in a small town called Lyndhurst, or was it Pikes Hill? All I know is that I spent an inordinate amount of time in a little pub called the "Waterloo Arms". God, I adored that place. That's where I first encountered a brew called, "Old Thumper"!!! Can you imagine this?! :) Anyway, my name is Gareth and that's another tale to tell. My mom was an avid reader all her life and, when she was a youngster, she was enamoured of "King Arthur". When I was young and entering class each year the teacher would do the customary rollcall and when my name was called "Gareth", I would cringe!!!! :( I'd raise my hand and wait for the chuckles from my new classmates. That's how it was. There are very few "Gareth's" in America!

I remember asking my mom one time why she would do such a terrible thing to me? Why, "Gareth"? why me? She simply told me about her love for books and English folklore, duh. That really didn't help me at all. So I went by the name of "Gary". :) It could have been worse for me. Gareth had two brothers named Gaharis and Gwaine, and I think a half brother named Modred (sic). It wasn't until I lived in England for a few months before I understood that "Gareth" is a good name. Anyway, those are my thoughts and I'm glad I found this forum.

Gareth

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Welcome to PC Review Gareth (or Gary!) - I'm sure that there is someone on here that has also sunk a few pints in that pub in Waterloo - hope you enjoy your time here:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome :D I'm sure you'll enjoy it here :thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Hi! Nice to meet you, Gareth :)

There are some funny-named ales around - my fave has got to be 'Waggledance'... only in England would you get that!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I have many names, not that you can repeat some of them here ... Welcome to PCReviw. :D

I hereby bestow you the title of ...
Sir Gareth of Orkney

:thumb:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Hi

Welcome Gareth, hope you enjoy your time at PC Review:thumb:

Reaction score
It's a Good Name

My son's name is Gareth. O.K he's a Brit, but it's good to be different. People remember your name. I worked with an Architect who called himself "Skip" (not his real name) but 10 years on I remember him, athough I don't recall his real name. One Gary merges into another. Try looking down the telescope a different way, then you'll realise your parents did you a favour. It could be worse, you could be named " Sue".

Good to talk to folks on the "Dark Side" of the pond.

Regards,

Fosters (Kevin, Now thats a name to steer clear of!!!!)

Last edited:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Hi Gareth/Gary. Good to meet you. Yeah, I gave both my kids Celtic names, but that's not such a big deal out here, but I did use the Americanised spelling of my son's middle name because I knew no one down here (New Zealand) would be able to pronounce it with the original spelling even though I preferred that.

Ask a Question