Amnesia: Dark Descent

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Im not the kind of guy to scare easy. But.... This is one game I have trouble playing.

I bought It on a whim - look like a fun, scary game. It is fun, in its own way. Its mostly about puzzle solving and exploration similar to old point and click games, except its in a first perseon view.. As odd as that sounds this game scares me. Mostly because its not about the typical kind of horror you expect from a video game. Its something... deeper. (couldnt find the right words)

Visually its rather unimpressive. But it goes to show that graphics aren't need to make a terrifyingly atmospheric game. Audio fairs much better, ranging from spooky to down right unsettling. Headphones are a must - even the game tells you before you start! ;)

I can't really say much without spoilers. Except for the fact that you have no weapons and light is your only friend. Best played at night and with headphones!

I recommend it if your looking for a different type of game. Perhaps the faint of heart need not apply. :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Light is used to keep yourself from going insane, not to stop monsters. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.unixmen.com/gaming-on-li...-available-for-amnesia-the-dark-descent-games

"The Swedish developers behind this game known properly as "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" have released a demo of the game. Frictional Games has released this demo for Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X gamers.

"Amnesia: The Dark Descent, a first person survival horror. A game about immersion, discovery and living through a nightmare. An experience that will chill you to the core."

You stumble through the narrow corridors as the distant cry is heard.It is getting closer.

More about the game in the official website
This game requires a NVIDIA GeForce 6 or ATI Radeon HD 2000 (R600) series graphics card or newer. In terms of the Linux software requirements, Frictional Games states that it needs a "Linux distribution released in 2010." The 155MB demo from the Helsingborg game studio can be found at AmnesiaGame.com. This game is powered by the HPL Engine 2, which they had developed in-house. "

Above is the newest video trailer that has been released for Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which demonstrates the physics capabilities of this game."

The two trailers are very good.
nod.gif

Ask a Question