Doom 3

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well we all know that is was Doom that started the FPS (First Person Shooter) craze, online and offline. Doom the original was sheer genius, excellent weapon selection, good level design and enemies that made Freddy Cruger look like a telly tubby.

Well its 2004 now, and its the turn of Doom 3 and this has to be the scariest game ive ever played in my life! I think i've played most of the scary games like Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Clock Tower etc etc. None of them even come close to the scare factor of Doom 3 though.

The game is set on the planet Mars where theres a research centre, alls well till a evil scientist opens up a portal to hell and unleashs hordes of monsters/beasties/zombies onto the planet. And your aim is to get off the planet, but its not as simple as jumping into an escape pod.

You'll be walking through dark corridors where you know an enemy is just gonna pop up and scare the life out of you. There are plenty of scenarios where you'll be locked into a room that instantly fills with fire ball throwing Imps or spiders the size of a staffordshire bull terrior. Most of the enemys are just redisgned from the original, which is excellent because they were great back then, and there even better today.

The graphics of this game are untouchable. It oozes with detail, anywhere you look you will be astonished. When Far Cry come out i was shocked on how good the graphics were, but Doom 3 just blows that away without a shadow of a doubt. The lighting is so realistic you just want to look around the level instead of actually playing the game.

The AI does the job, because it doesnt have to be fantastic, your against zombies and mosters that are just here to kill you, not to hide or flank you. Though the zombie marines do seem to tak ecover every now and then, but the rest of them just come at you gung ho all guns blazing.

Doom has always been known for its excellent weapon selection, and Doom 3 is no exception. You start off with your average pistol which is ok, but isnt very useful against the meatier variety of enemy. Then you have the Doom fan favourite, the shotgun, which is extremely power defeating zombie marines in just 1 clean shot. The assult rifle is next, this isnt anything special, just an average fully automatic weapon that can hold 60 bullets per clip, very useful when your locked in a room with multiple enemys. Then theres the mini gun or chain gun as some like to call it. This is just an extremely powerful version of the assult rilfe, you feel like you've just shot a cannon ball with each bullet fired. A plasma rilfe is next, which is rapid fire and pretty powerful, it also looks pretty ;). The grenades on Doom 3 are alot better, as you can cook them this time round, so you can time your nades perfect for the unlucky enemy that you next see.

The problem with this game is, and you will hear or read alot about, is that you cant hold your gun and torch at the same time. This is done to increase the scare factor, but in my opinion it takes its tole on the game play. You'll be in a pitch black room, the only lighting comming for your little torch, and all of a sudden an enemy will pop out, you then have to put your torch away and get your gun out, but because you put your torch away you can't see the enemy. There is a patch out there for it though called "duck tape" which will keep your torch out all the time.

Overall this game is a must for anyone with a decent PC, it has abit of everything you would want from a FPS. But because of the torch niggle i will be docking it down to 8/10.

Now this game will rip most computers apart, and because its Open GL it will run better on an Nvidia card rather than Ati.

Minimum Box Specs:

3D hardware Accelerator Card Required – 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers*.
English version of Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP
Pentium IV 1.5 GHz or Athlon 1500+
384MB RAM
8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
2.2GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows swap file)
100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
100% Windows 2000 / XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
DirectX 9.0b (included)

But to have fun you will need:

AMD 2400XP - P4 2.4Ghz (at least)
512 RAM (at least)
Geforce FX 5700 Ultra - Ati 9800pro

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think this one's a bit of a must-have isn't it?

Thanks for the introduction and apraisal reef, me go buy tomorrow.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Just seen the graphics - wow! Far too scary for me though, Tomb Raider still makes me jump ;)

Nice review though :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I think this one's a bit of a must-have isn't it?

Thanks for the introduction and apraisal reef, me go buy tomorrow.
Its a definate musta have! Also i would recommend you stock up on clean underwear, because you might need a few pit stops during game play ;).

Reaction score
woooaaahh, reefsmoka, i worship you, im gonna buy, very funny, and yes tomb raider makes me jump on my NOKIA N-GAGE, im such a woss.

Reaction score
HEy, just installed Doom3

Doom 3 is the scareyest thing i have ever done

My gosh, even on my NForce 2 the graphics were good compared to other things i can play, but it was a bit jolty and i reccomend at least the NF4 MX,

Jolty + Scared = lyin on the floor with minus 3 health

I been on the pepsi max at black pool, and thats nothing compared to doom, wow...

Reaction score
I finished it a bit quickly.

Once again it's the paranoia that is the most scary. Actually blasting away at all the minions is quite easy and soon the quick saves dispell the fear of dying. Though playing in the dark with a 5.1 surround sound and high bass -in 3am in the morning, in a cold house, alone... won't do your nerves any good :D!

*game Spoiler -Highlight to see*

The last boss is WAY too easy, it nmakes it a dissapointing ending really.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I finished it quite a while back, i was a little let down by the longevity, and the repetativness. But when you see those graphics, it still makes you breathless, there still the best ive seen.

It could have been so much more, a little more level variety, and a few more weapons would have made all the difference.

And maybe some unlockable cheats or extra weapons would have been kool.

Though the last boss was a nice site ;).

Reaction score
Well, PC-ppl. Your Doom 3 phobia is over-exaggerated. Please, don't get me wrong, it's a fine game, but I felt Alien vs Predator were scarier. Maybe it's because I'm from South Africa and don't scare that easily...;-)

What can u guys tell me about Half-Life 2?

sissies! hahahahaha!! Just a joke...

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I havent played Doom 3 yet
icon9.gif
. But Aliens Vs. Predator was pretty scary. especially as a Marine. What do you need to play Doom 3 Totally Maxed out, in your opinion?

Reaction score
:eek:
Vonn said:
Well, PC-ppl. Your Doom 3 phobia is over-exaggerated. Please, don't get me wrong, it's a fine game, but I felt Alien vs Predator were scarier. Maybe it's because I'm from South Africa and don't scare that easily...;-)

What can u guys tell me about Half-Life 2?

sissies! hahahahaha!! Just a joke...
hi= play doom 3 first because i think H.L.2. is better(hl fan all) set to hardest level get a good soundsystem off ya go(i set my one to off line mode(properties on play games hl2 )take plenty of screen shots (f5) i think if ya can ps playing doom 3 now finding it a bit slow but scarey i might have it set up wrong + laptop (aldi ego) 128 9700 ati keeps locking up + try counter strike and day of defeat on line half life rules

Reaction score
hehe, you should try it on a 9200se gfx card. bad lighting is bad but when the screen skips so bad you cant turn fast to look around a corner. it doesnt help. i ended up stopping playing because it started to look like an etch-a-sketch was drawing it out since my gfx card got progressivly worse. still waiting for a new card. just undecided if i'm goin with powercolors 9800se (which mods into 9800pro) or the 5700LE (which mods into a 5700). nvidia's picture quality is always better, just not sure what the 9800 pro translates into as an equiv to nvidia cards. i believe its the 5900 right?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Moco said:
just not sure what the 9800 pro translates into as an equiv to nvidia cards. i believe its the 5900 right?
More or less.

9800 Pro:

memory: 340Mhz, 256 Bit
core: 380Mhz
8 pipes

FX5900:

memory: 400Mhz, 256 bit
core: 400Mhz
4 pipes

I've used both. I sold the FX5900. imo the 9800 Pro performs better.

Playing Far Cry, Doom 3 and HL2 no probs :)

Reaction score
I will buy Doom 3 when i get my Gainward 6600 GT soon ! (waited 2 weeks so far) lol And i am buying Farcry for sure. No real point at the moment with this card, well no real point due to the fact i probz won't enjoy it as much when it looks amazing ! lol :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yes my main machine had a powercolor 9800 and played all games fantastically, it was when i was putting together a high spec machine for a customer who had specified a 6600gt for his machine, that my eyes were opened as when i was testing the machine playing half life2 i could see shades i hadn't seen before and the frame rate was phenominal, i had everything turned on full and it didn't baulk the card one iot'a.:eek:

At which point the card somehow made it's way into my machine and there it has resided ever since, the customer had to wait another couple of days while i ordered another 6600gt but that's another story.;)

Ask a Question