Far Cry Reveiw

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well its taken me a while to get round to reveiwing this, because when i first started playing my graphics card wasnt really good enough to handle it(FX5200), but i bought a new one (Radeon 9800pro) and its all good now, so here we go.

Well this was a highly anticipated FPS (first person shooter) for the PC gaming community. It was boasting to be one of the most advanced games in years. And to be honest it really is!

One of many things that sets this game apart from most is the incredible AI, if you played Halo and thought the AI was good in that, then you'll love this to pieces. The enemies dont just duck for cover, and cover each other, but they will try to flank you if your taking cover aswell! And if there is only 1 enemy and he's spoted you, he'll shout for backup and stay covered till it arrives. The enemys are not scared to used the surrounding vehicles aswell, they'll get in vehicles to hunt you down, usng the mounted machine gun to try and obliterate anything they see.

The are quite a few different enemies to shoot to your desire, you have human mercenaries, which all have there special skills, some are snipers, some are carring rocket launcher but most you will come across will carry your basic M16 assult rifle. Then theres the freaky experimental monster soldiers that are faster, stronger and some are even invisble. There are so many of these rangeing from horrible mutated apes with big teeth and claws, to super human clones that can jump around 20 feet in the air. I would probably say the Human to monster enemy ratio is about 50:50. The human enemies will be trying to kill the mutants aswell and the mutants killing the enemy, so it is very frantic at times.

Your stranded on a island in the middle of no where, but this is no average island! The level structure is awsome to say the least, you can go anywhere you see or want to go to. There is a selection of water vehicles, a hand glider and numerous land vehicles like jeeps and buggies. There vehicles all handle and sound different, and can help in different scenarios with great effect. You go from big boats, a very atmospheric jungle to dangerous enemy bases on your travels around the island your stranded on.

As for weapon selection, you have a melee weapon in the for of a machete, which isnt very good against the mutants but is pretty good against your basic mercenary depending on where you choose to slice him up. You have a handgun that resembles a Desert Eagle, which is pretty powerful, but only holds 7 rounds per clip. Then you have a glorious range of automatic weapons, an M16 which is very powerful, a grenade launcher which is just an M16 with grenade launching abilitys, a advanced grenade launcher, which has better accuracy than an M16 and has very accurate grenades to boot too. The sniper rifle is pretty basic, with a range of about 400 metres. There also a pretty neat automatic shotgun which can rinse 10 shotgun shells in about 3 seconds, then finally theres the trusty rocket launcher, which is very powerful, good for getting rid of those pesky helicopters
tongue.gif

Overall this game is very evenly balanced out, it has abit of everything you would want form a FPS game, longevity, great graphics and excellent AI.

Overall i cant give this game any lower than 9/10 else i would just be lieing to ya'll.

Now this game needs a very highspec to be played with a decent amount of detail.

Minimum PC Spec I would say:

2Ghz P4
512 Ram
4 gig free space (not optional)
Soundblaster compatible soundcard
Ati Radeon 9000pro/ Geforce FX5600

Recommended Spec

3Ghz P4
1024 ram
Ati Radeon 9800pro/ Gefroce FX5900 Ultra

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Would agree with you there reef.

But why all this bias towards Pentium systems?

Providing you have a halfway decent graphics card and a fair amount of RAM, this game will run. The emphasis is on graphics card, a FX5200 or XP9200 will not do.

I've run Far Cry on a system centred around an AMD XP2400, I would expect that an AMD XP2000 would do the job as well.

To run this game with full on everything, you'd need an absolutely top of the range system. My XP3200 based system will not run the game smoothly with all eye candy turned on and at anything over 1064 x 768, an that's with a Gig of RAM an an ATI 9800 Pro.

If you can run the game however, it really is quite refreshing, a welcome breakaway from fps-by-numbers.

As reef said, the AI is really good, them enemies will sneak up from anywhwere and when you least expect them.

The graphics are excellent and it's one of those games that keep you coming back for more although having said that I'm on about the sixth level and I'm well and truly stuck. But I keep trying.

I've played multiplayer on line a few times, a tip - watch out for the sun glare in the disatnce, that's the enemy's weapon reflecting ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I always say pentium because people can judge from there, like a Pentium 4 2.8 is approx an Athlon XP 2800+ (approx), so it just saves hassle and time (and people moaning, saying there AMD chip cant handle it). Also if you look in any online computer game shop (www.play.com, www.game.uk.com etc etc) they only say pentium too (so does PC Format ;) ). So i guess i'm also influenced by all of the points above, im sorry :(.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well I completed Far Cry a couple of nights ago :D . I must say i was very pleased with the longevity, it took me around 20-30 hours to complete on the medium setting. I think i might try and conquer a harder setting as theres no decent games out at the moment.

If you have a decent PC, you must own this game ;) . (I totally owned it, muhahaha)

Ask a Question