AMD or Pentium

Reaction score
Hey,

Right as my signature suggests, i am building a new pc, chris postill has informed me on a few things i should buy as i know him personally at college.

I am wondering whether to get an AMD Athlon 64Bit 3000+ or a Pentium 4 3Ghz Prescott.

Benchmark tests suggest the Amd can pull more and is 20% faster in a 32bit environment, so what do you guys suggest.

I have only got the case at the moment which is a starting point for any pc and will help me assemble the computer easier without things sitting in their boxes for a few months.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Chris,

Reaction score
chrisimrie

if u do a form search here something like 'amd or intel'

you will see that we have had so many debates over this issue. have a read of them too they will help you

i myselt am an Avid AMD Fan, they are very very good value for money. whereas intel are far too much expensive and overpriced.

if u can get it cheaper, why pay more?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Briefly, AMD, cheaper, 64 Bit, some degree of future proofing, I don't like Intel ;)

Reaction score
For what you will be doing (web based, and gaming) i think that the prescott coupled with an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe will be faster than the 64bit CPU. 64bit at the moment isn't a wise choice because 64 bit windows has not been released.

You can pick up a retail prescott 3.0GHz for less than an XP3200+ Barton - it's faster too.

In comparison with the 64 bit, the 3.0GHz Prescott comes out better in a few tests - theres not much in the price either.

C4.png

Q3.png

I think that you should take the P4 3.0Ghz prescott
OR
If you MUST go AMD, take the XP3400 64 bit as that has a very high increase over the 3000+ and the P4.

Again, if you must go for AMD, make sure you get a DECENT motherboard (not some cheapo one as is most important part of PC) that has the nVidia nForce 3 chipset.

Intel gets my vote.

Chris

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I have decided to stick with the Pentium 4 3GHz Prescott at the moment due to lack of funds, the pentium system will be cheaper than lets say the amd system, especially the processors, as the 3400+ is a lot more expensive, and being in college, funds are limited.

Chris.

Reaction score
I doubt everyone else will agree, but i think the P4 system would suit your needs nicely.

And hey, if you ever decided to overclock, you could get a nice little increase (awesome 400w True Power Antec PSU) as P4 systems generally overclock nicer than the AMD counterparts.

But according to you, overclock = Overheat, bang, fire...;)

Heres a system that should do you good:

Asus P4P800 E Deluxe Springdale (As fast as the canterwood version - P4C)
Intel 3.0GHz Prescott Retail
1Gb (2x512mb) GeIL Value Ram C2.5 (Dual Channel)
2x Samsung Spinpoint 80Gb SATA 7200 8mb (Raid 0)
ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128mb AGP8x TV Out (HIGHLY overclockable, comes with RamSinks)
NEC Dual Layer DVD-+rw (Good...and cheap!)
Floppy Drive (gotta have one!)
PCI Case exhaust (they look good)
2x 80mm Fans (brrrrrrrrr....)
Antec SOHO File Server Case (already have) *Quality*
Antec True-Power 400w Power Supply (Already Have) *top of the range*

That should do ya...

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Personally i perfer AMD to Intel, why? i dont know, i just like them more. I have a AMD 3000+ and it works perfectly, although i would like to get a shiny new 3400.

Reaction score
i would go for the intel - there not that much of a price diff any more !

also get the mobo chris said - you get a program with it - which alows me to overclock my P4 3.2 Ghz - up to 4.1 Ghz - only got stock fan at the moment so i'm only on 3.2

Reaction score
GONNA-GET-U said:
i would go for the intel - there not that much of a price diff any more !

also get the mobo chris said - you get a program with it - which alows me to overclock my P4 3.2 Ghz - up to 4.1 Ghz - only got stock fan at the moment so i'm only on 3.2
In all seriousness there is next to no chance you will get 4.1GHz (900MHz inc.)

I have an SP-94 - i can only get 3.1 out of my 2.8... It's not all abit cooling, you have to have a one in a million chip to get those speeds.

With the right memory/psu/chip i reckon you can get a max of 3.5 - which should fly.

Ask a Question