Processor Temperature

Reaction score
Right;

So got my new Asus Pundit R-350 put together half an hour or so ago, it comes with a standard heatsink/fan due to the size of the case, it's low profile.

Anyway, put some Arctic Silver 5 on the CPU before fitting the heatsink, i did have issues to begin with, the unit not POST'ing or anything for that matter, but i think i seated the CPU wrong, or it didn't slot in properly.

Anyway fixed that now, it's sitting in BIOS for the moment, and wondered how long it takes for thermal paste to settle in and provide the best temperatures.

It's currently;

Pentium 4 Northwood 3GHz 800FSB 512KB L2 @ 52-54c

I thought this was a bit high, but then again, my Prescott was at this value when i had it, not sure if i can expect to see an improvement on the temperatures, and when the AS5 will settle in.

Chris

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i guess that AS 5 will sink in at those temps, when exposed for a decent amount of time- give it a few days and check temps again :D

Reaction score
What apps can i use to test the stability/memory etc.

Just want to monitor the temperatures and test everything thoroughly.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Check out my Sticky in the Windows apps section. ;)

Reaction score
Cheers, i'll give that a go once XP is installed, shouldn't take long, it's got 20minutes left.

Seems to be staying cool enough.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i also suggest CPU burn in
it test the cpu to check stability and temps

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Alf said:
i also suggest CPU burn in
it test the cpu to check stability and temps
Better still use BOINC! ;)

Reaction score
Am running Prime95, it's sitting at around 61/62c which i thought is bloody hot, cool air is entering the case through the side vent, i can feel the suction, as the hsf has a gasket to the vent, so it pulls outside air in.

Would Prime95 help the AS5 settle in, and is this temp too high?

CPU usage is only 50-60% or so.

Reaction score
Just installed an Akasa System Blower in a PCI slot, as it had no rear extraction fans, that should help blow the hot air out the case for the front vent to bring in clean cool air.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well i don't know for sure what standard temps for a p4 is but that does sound too hot by at least 10-15C.

As you say, it sounds like you need an exhaust fan for the rear. :thumb:

Maybe try reseating the HSF?

Reaction score
Again?

This is a Small Form Factor machine just for everyone's information, so it is very enclosed, and the exaust has been installed, the hsf has been seated twice already.

With a small pea sized amount of AS5 in the middle and then the hsf put on top and locked into place.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
cImrie said:
This is a Small Form Factor machine just for everyone's information, so it is very enclosed
Ah, i didn't realise that. Maybe that explains it?

What does the Intel tech specs say?

EDIT: heres a link from a thread Quad posted in CC a while ago.

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

Last edited:
Reaction score
The maximum temp there is 70c for the Northwood 3GHz.

This is running the UD app at the moment, crunching a single job @ 53-54c stable, the temps i mentioned earlier were under full pressure with Prime95, using the (Maximum Heat, Maximum Power) setting.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
If you can, i suggest jumping for a aftermarket heatsink... If you have enough room for it that is.

Reaction score
I've ordered two 80mm gasket's, a 70mm to 80mm kit, and a high cfm, low noise fan, the heatsink itself is absolutely fine, it's the tiny little fan which doesn't push enough air.

So i'll hopefully be fitting that kit soon, at the moment i have the machine sitting idle, and it's nice and cool, around 47c.

It's got better under load now aswell, it rarely goes into 60c anymore since i installed the rear pci blower, seems to get the hot air out of the case.

Reaction score
Hi mate,

I have a P4 Northy 3.4 running at 3.75 and the temp never goes over 33c!
I have a great huge Zalman cooler which might explain that - but Northy's are renowned for running cool.
Is your 3ghz the registered CPU Speed - or have you o/c'd a slower chip?
Your small case is definitely the cause - you need air circulation (As you know)...
Your new fans will help! But the Northwoods can take it! anything under 60c is fine!;)

Reaction score
It is a;

Intel SL6WK, registered 3GHz chip.

I know about the bad airflow in this type of system, but the temperatures at the moment are relative to the new thermal paste settling in, and the stupidly small fan with a really bad cfm.

The new fan and kit will definately help, to add to things, this system has Q-Fan although at the moment its enabled, otherwise it would be sitting at 5500RPM constantly, which is around 40 or higher db.

Will be happy when this new QuietPC kit arrives this week, but since installing the PCI Blower, things are a lot cooler in the case.

Reaction score
Chris...

I gave you all the information you needed...

I own a Northwood chip just like yours.

anything up to 70 degrees is fine - and i would have an alarm sound at 65 and shutdown at maybe 67.

Mine regulary sits at 64 degrees while running BOINC - dont worry about it.

I find the best thing to do is not constantly watch temperatures - just fix it when it starts getting unstable. P4's cant catch fire they are thermally controlled and will underlclock then shutdown if the temp goes over 70.

Chill :cool:

Ask a Question