Alternatives to printer sharing??

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently working my way through the set-up of a USB printer on a client's computer.

I am using the Zebra QL 420+ Label Printer, and have set it up as a shared local printer. I am running a batch file that directly sends the required data to the printer using COPY command, relating to \\computer_name\printer_share.

This works really well, however, I need to try and find a solution that doesn't involved sharing the printer. I've had to give the printer a share name during testing due to the complications of using the COPY command with a USB port (virtual port USB001), but the client doesn't want the printer shared.
wallbash.gif

Does anyone know how I can go about using the COPY command, for a USB printer, without sharing the printer? I know of the NET USE command but that still requires the use of a share name to attach to the LPT1 port. I cannot find anywhere on the net that tells of a way of using this without share.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also forgot to add, fixed IP's is not an option either, so I cannot map it directly to the IP address.

I'm working with Windows XP, IE6 and basic standard network settings.

Last edited:

Ask a Question