Advice on best free anti-spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi

I have recently had a bit of problem with spyware so am now looking for a new piece of software to make sure this doesnt happen again. I have looked at all the major free anti-spyware software that is currently on the market, and have noticed that almost none of them have scheduled scans. I want to be able to scan my pc at least once a week but know unless i use some sort of schedule i will forget. What would you advise.

Thanks

Ben

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

It constantly monitors for malicious programs such as viruses, Trojans, backdoor programs, hoaxes, worms, dialers etc. Monitors every action executed by the user or the operating system and reacts promptly when a malicious program is detected.

Has a scheduler ... ;)

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

I would not bother with AVG Free, it not that good at what it does.

There are paid-for AVs that do a better job. :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
Get Avast and SuperAntispyware. The latter doesn't have real time protection but Avast does and both are great cleaners. I had an instance with an infected (heavily) PC and SuperAnti cleaned most of it but the main problem did not go away. Then I installed Avast and finished the job. Avast auto updates every day as soon as you have your internet connection on and has a very thorough scanner. I have used Spybot too but it seems to warn for almost every site and is not really compatible with other similar software (not that you want to run more than one of those at the time anyway). On top of it Spybot doesn't seem to clean as well as the two i recommend. Cheers!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I would agree Spybot Search & Destroy has fallen behind, I don't use it anymore.

I believe SBSAD is a total freebie so not surprising really whereas most other freebie AV software sell superior or 'professional' versions of their software,. so can thrive.

Why do these software companies give away free lite versions? Simple. They then have a huge free data base constantly tracking and supplying them with new threats, which gives them a competitive edge.

In that sense, for us and the software company, it's a win-win situation.

Reaction score
SuperAntispyware is really good

I use super antispyware all the time and it has never disappointed me. It has very good detection rate that surpasses many of the current antispyware programs. Updates is the one point it needs some improvement in.

Reaction score
Too bad I didn't get into this thread earlier this year. Go make yourself some strong coffee cuz this is going to be long post cuz it takes some explain'n... and I like to write colorful so you get the picture without being bored. ;)

Here's the deal, antivirus/colorful stops only a very small percent of "known" colorful. Do a Google search for "Secunia 2008 Report" and do the math. Here... I'll do it for you.

Out of the (12) top security suites, the only stopped on average 3% of the KNOWN malware. Why? Because the bad guys are proving to be way smarter than the good guys. The AV companies can't keep up with them because they don't know how to think and live like criminals.

And you can't turn criminals into good guys just because you catch them. They are not finding Jesus when in their cells. They thinking to themselves "S---, I got careless and f----- up. I'm going to have to be even smarter when I get out of jail." If jail was such a deterrent, they would never have prisoners or such a thing as "repeat offenders."

And if you think you're making out by like a bandit by hiring them to go work for you and they'll be compelled to tell you all their criminal secrets AND tell you where they hid the money they stole...(listen up US government), remember Albert Gonzalez, you hired him to work for you. With these guys on the payroll, your trust factor should be real low and your security risk radar should be finely tuned.

Here's the deal on the good guys... and you know some of you are reading this post.

Good guys do what their bosses tell them, they punch corporate time clocks, they go home and live a pretty average existence.

Need to switch to the bad guys for a bit...

The bad guys love to live on the edge... probably obsessed with cracking new security... maybe stay up days to do it all filled with giddiness when breaking stuff for the land grab... such as beating AV heuristic technology which they've done already and this new form of detection is barely out on the market. They are driven by the thrill of the chase and the financial rewards.

And they throw big elaborate expensive parties! At least the Gonzalez and his band of thieves did until the FBI nabbed them. But they let them steal millions of credit cards and PI before they busted them. Gotta love the swiftness of the government to protect our identities and personal information. Our identities and bank accounts are used as traps to help them set-up half a dozen maybe a dozen bad guys. Few rat because they know when they get out, their ass is grass.

Back to the good guys...

So what incentive do the good guys have to keep them motivated? The worry over job security and evaporating meager bonuses perhaps? See, the slower they work and the more malware out there, the better chance they have at staying employed by SOME AV company.

Consider also...

Most of the malware in distribution is undetectable, variant and polymorphic meaning, the AV companies cannot put a signature on something they can't see of find... kinda like chasing ghosts.

Don't get me wrong. Even if the programs stop so little malware attacks, they serve a good purpose and are needed at a minimum to keep you machine as clean as possible for whatever they can detect, quarantine or remove... and removal is rare in sheer numbers because the bad guys attach some of their nasty stuff to important files and programs your machines needs to operate. Removing all the pieces will f--- your system up royally.

I have AVAST and a few other programs running. It's like the oil in the car. The car can't run on oil... it runs on gas. But eventually, if you fail to keep oil in the car and it burns out, the engine ceases up and now you're stuck with the expense of replacing the engine. Want to replace your computer? Don't use AV.

And I'm not convinced alp freeware is bad. The major companies have locked up the market selling their Kool-Aid hype about how much malware, virus, Trojans, and keyloggers they stop. Don't believe it. Read the Secunia 2008 Report. Some of the freeware out there is just as good. Techie people tend to know what's good and what's not because they're on their computers all the time.

Meanwhile, while your AV companies are taking 28-32 days to find one bad piece of malicious code, give it a signature and a definition, you need to be protected right?

So yes, use those AV programs but I've got something awesome to share with you guys...and yes, my firm markets it but not to consumers unless you are in the direct selling business.

It's nextgen 'out-of-band' patent-pending keystroke encryption software!

Also has anti-clickjacking alert system AND their "Compromised Driver Alert System" immediately gives you a pop-up warning when it detects a kernel level rogue driver installed on your machine... or if a good driver has been compromised. Even sends the compromised driver location to your MS event log so you know what to look for and remove... if possible. It is truly a magnificent piece of innovative technology. And I'm not easily impressed.

I don't sell to consumers but you can check out my manufacturers who pioneered 'out-of-band' technology. Their consumer website is located at

And no, I don't make anything off my recommendation. I'm just doing my "good samaritan" thing.

Ya'll go out and get yourself a copy! Encrypt every keystroke as you type in a nanosecond. You can bank, shop, browse, do webmail, anything on-line you type is totally encrypted and secure... including URLs.

The bad guys can't steal what they can't see. Don't have to worry about them grabbing your keystrokes and robbing your bank accounts or making fraudulent purchases on your credit and debit cards they hijacked while you were keying them in on-line. At least when you're using your Guarded ID protected computer. Can't guarantee other places your sensitive information resides won't be compromised but damn, do what you can to protect yourself and what you're doing on your computer!

If you want to learn more info from a technical perspective, my websites are for government and businesses. You'll find the Secunia report there also.

Check out:

and my fav site because I like the picture is:

I actually have 8 websites to help promote this awesome security technology in addition to my primary biz site but they all pretty much have the same message.

So Be Info Safe & Secure!

brenda

All Spam links removed - fbs

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Beej27,
happywave.gif

Girl you sure do like to type ....anyway,

I checked one of the links and noticed it costs 29.99. This is the first time i have heard of guarded id so what do they offer that's any better than the rest. Remember, nearly everyday, we hear about the "latest" AV solution or the latest trojan etc. so, speaking solely for myself, its just more of the same.
About the keylogging thing. Everytime i have to make a transaction online, i think "hope everything will be okay" but it doesnt make me run out and buy the latest pc security. I reckon guarded id will have to work hard to earn the trust that the other companies have.Maybe if everybody that uses a pc gets hit by these keyloggers then guarded id may become popular but keylogging would have to become really massive.
I'm not knocking guarded id whatsoever, i'm merely discussing the subject.
Also i notice that you have 8 websites...why do you need so many? Surely thats a lot of work!

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi Beej27,
happywave.gif

Girl you sure do like to type ....anyway,

I checked one of the links and noticed it costs 29.99. This is the first time i have heard of guarded id so what do they offer that's any better than the rest. Remember, nearly everyday, we hear about the "latest" AV solution or the latest trojan etc. so, speaking solely for myself, its just more of the same.
About the keylogging thing. Everytime i have to make a transaction online, i think "hope everything will be okay" but it doesnt make me run out and buy the latest pc security. I reckon guarded id will have to work hard to earn the trust that the other companies have.Maybe if everybody that uses a pc gets hit by these keyloggers then guarded id may become popular but keylogging would have to become really massive.
I'm not knocking guarded id whatsoever, i'm merely discussing the subject.
Also i notice that you have 8 websites...why do you need so many? Surely thats a lot of work!

It isn't that I like to type so much as I like to write. The typing is just the tool that I use. ;-)

I would recommend you take a little time and read what I wrote again... given you truly read the complete diatribe the first time. I know it's hard to sit through but if you read every word, every paragraph, and maybe go do a little research on keylogging malware attacks, you will become more enlightened.

They say about 80% of the WORLD's computers are infected with malware and 1-10 Google website. NO kidding! I'm just report the data. Most malware is or contains keyloggers because this how how the thieves capture everything you type... this is how they get your personal information. And they LOVE bank cards! ;-) But you won't have to worry about theft if you install Guarded ID.

You haven't heard of it but I'm in the US. It won't be coming to your part of the world for awhile but you'll have to buy TrendMicro Anti-Virus to get it if you don't buy it off their website. ;-) Trend is the 2nd largest anti-virus company in the world and they recognized how important this security is in stopping theft due to keylogging and knew they could not develop anything better... so they are buying it to offer out with their anti-virus software... to over 100 million people in 200 countries in 14 languages. Stay tuned... you hear more if you're the techie type. ;-)

But hey... don't take my word for it. If you're interested in knowing how easy it is for the thieves to get keyloggers on your computer and steal you credentials (usernames, passwords, bank cards, etc.) and not be detected, do a little research on your own. Try looking "undetectable malware" trojan keylogging attacks data... stuff like that.

Say, there is a GREAT report about it. Google... 2009 Verizon Data Breach Report and download it. It's a little technical but they have colored graphs and charts that are easy to understand. Let me know what you think.

Once you do a little homework, you will be "running" to order Guarded ID. ;-) Again, I encourage you to slow down, read and absorb what I shared. It's pretty educational.

Good luck in doing your homework! :) That neat that you are showing interest in learning more and protecting yourself. More people should do more to protect themselves.

Oh, and I have so many sites because they are each market specific... didn't I explain that? ;-) Yes it's a lot of work but it's easier for each vertical market to understand the message and how the products addresses their particular security issues. They don't have to ask themselves "Now how would this work for me?" Get it now? Just trying to make things easy to buy for our customers without having to do a lot of guesswork.

:)

brenda

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
beej27 said:
Once you do a little homework, you will be "running" to order Guarded ID. ;-)

Wait a minute, are you trying to use this forum to sell this software?

I'll be watching your posts, so beware!

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Wait a minute, are you trying to use this forum to sell this software?

I'll be watching your posts, so beware!

-----------------------------------------------

Not hardly selling software... as I said in my first post, I do not sell to individual consumers nor does my firm have license to market outside the US.

So lets take a deep breath and chill out for a moment... nothing inappropriate going on here. Just trying to help people who are thinking their anti-virus is providing more security that it really does.

I read other people making recommendations so I thought I would recommend innovative security that is superior in protection... just happens to be a partner company that is helping the world protect itself from the bad guys.

I would want someone give me a tip if they knew it would protect me and the technology sounded credible. But I do a lot of research and reading as I suggested the gent to do and rarely buy based soley on what someone says. I'm less trusting and willing to do more digging.

If we do not encourage people to educate themselves, they will be lumped into the vast pool of people who are unaware and un-protected.

Again, as I said in my first post here, I make nothing off my recommendation. It is truley a Good Samaratin gesture. I market directly to government and businesses in the US only. I have a program for the Direct Selling industry but I do not market or sell directly myself. That is outsourced.

I am the CEO of my firm and personally only manage 3 multi-million dollar clients and major businesses including government agencies. Believe me, there is nothing to profit from on this post.

I'm sure the insight I've shared and encouraging people to do what they can to educate and protect themselves is appreciated... or at least this is my hope. We here in the States LOVE free advice as long as it appears to be coming from a credible source. You should look me up. I teach workshops and speak on identity theft prevention. My firm also developed an e-learning course on identity theft awareness and prevention that we market B2B here in the States. Its not a product suitable for the foreign market as it also addresses and educates on our federal laws.

Good you have such a watchful eye... we could use some help looking out for the bad guys.

;)

brenda

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Beej27,
I have read your post again....i didnt miss anything the first time.
I did however have a nose at the secunia 2008 report. I downloaded PSI and its now doing its first scan.
I have to say i didnt see the term keylogger anywhere. What i did read was that we are maybe vulnerable to certain threats on the internet and that maybe we should be protected a bit better.
I take all this stuff with a pinch of salt though.
A lot of people reading that report might be coaxed into buying security and i can't help wondering if this is the purpose of these reports....to stir up sales.

Secunia is now telling me my security has a few holes in it so for now i'll leave it there.
Talkcha
nod.gif

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi Beej27,
I have read your post again....i didnt miss anything the first time.
I did however have a nose at the secunia 2008 report. I downloaded PSI and its now doing its first scan.
I have to say i didnt see the term keylogger anywhere. What i did read was that we are maybe vulnerable to certain threats on the internet and that maybe we should be protected a bit better.
I take all this stuff with a pinch of salt though.
A lot of people reading that report might be coaxed into buying security and i can't help wondering if this is the purpose of these reports....to stir up sales.

Secunia is now telling me my security has a few holes in it so for now i'll leave it there.
Talkcha
nod.gif

-------------------------------------------------

So this is what I'm hearing you say...

No matter what you read or how indepth you research, you have a high level of mistrust. We have an expression here... "You got trust issues." ;-)

There are tons of reports and data on identity theft that have NOTHING to do with profiting or gain. In the State here we have consumer protection agencies whose sole purpose is to track the threat landscape, scour the world to determine where the breaches or occuring and where the cyber criminals are lurking.

I can understand how skeptical you might be. There is so much out there. But this is what I DO know...

I have a keylogger on my machine that I used to test websites for vulnerabilities. It doesn't send info anywhere (it doesn't phone home) but it shows how passwords can by stolen even when SSL encryption is in place.

I see what I can grab, and then I activate Guarded ID to see if it encyrpts. I would SHOCK you how many banks have unsafe online security... like all of them because they cannot protect againsty keylogging. NONE of them! I'm serious.

What makes me angry is that, when we go to them and show them with our keylogger how they are not being honest (we don't say that but they get the message) by telling people they are secure and safe when they aren't.

They go quiet and then won't return my sales teams calls. It's our belief and feeling,that they would lose a LOT of customers if customers knew this. I get mad because when we SHOW then their vulnerablilites most often they say "They don't care whats on their customers computers... not their responsibility." We try to explain ultimately eat the financial loss and that should be a driver TOO care. Nope... They would rather keep the situation hush, hush. ;-)

Remember, 80% of the worlds computers are infected with malware. Google that... The thieves attack computers with Trojans carrying keyloggers. I know a lot about the underground and trust me when I say, you should not be so naive and think all this is just a ploy to get you to buy products. Not true. Companies really are trying all the technology they can throw at the bad guys.

Check this this not-for-profit organization in the states...

www.antiphishing.org

They've got stuff on there (last time I looked) about keyloggers. Not only do they log your keystrokes, but the bad guys write code that will SHUT OFF all your security on your computer right under your nose. They can also take over your computer. Sounds kinds Sci-Fi doesn't it but it happens... all over the world.

So the next time your computer seems to be slogging along, loading slow, think about what I said. ;-)

Oh, and BTW, the keylogger I have on my machine, NONE of my antivirus programs have detected it. ;-)

Check this out... I loaded a competitors browser software on my computer because I wanted to test it out given we're competing for the same lucrative account. So I had to uninstall the crap because it kept freezing up my computer and I could run my Win apps very well. Sometime some of the apps wouldn't minimize while parts of other swouldn't populate on the screen. Well anyway, now they are sending me info to try to sell me on their crap sandbox browser that only protects when you're using THEIR hybrid FireFox browser. They claim you aren't safe outside their browser but they only protect a fraction of the threat landscape. Long story...

Anyway, they just sent this to me... It's accurate info. I'm not trying to convert you into being a believer about the dangers of keyloggers but we have another expression here... "Better safe than sorry." I've archived tons of articles from reporters not selling anything. They have no dog in the fight. They just want to report the news and ID theft gets LOTS of attention here.

After you read the text in red. Google this guy... Albert Gonzalez and read up on the MILLIONS of credit cards he stole from Heartland Payment Systems using SQL injection then infecting machines with "keyloggers" and propating the network with "sniffers." I'm actually talking to Heartland Payment Systems about my security. I think they've blown me off because they don't want to spend the money to secure their computers. VISA Global Risk contacted me when they heard I knew some inside stuff from a contact at another company. I wouldn't give up my source though. hahaha Anyway, Heartland was hit by this Gonzalez gang of thieves. All very young men... but very smart. Google Heartland Payment Systems keyloggers Albert Gonzalez and see what ya get. More interesting than reading industry reports. ;-)

Dear Valued Customer,

We have some good news and some bad news for you. The good news is that you have the best online identity theft protection installed on your computer - XXXXXXXX. The bad news is that if you don't use it, you're not protected. The other really bad news is that, without XXXXXXXXX:

• 1 in 5 online consumers have had their identity stolen online in the last two years

• More than 8 billion dollars has been lost due to this cybercrime

• More than 35% of people infected with id theft malware have valid anti-virus software running
At some point you may change your attitude towards mistrusting all companies. Not every has an alterior motive to profit and gain and want to take your money. Some of us want to see the bad guys take up an honest form of making a living.

Gee, THAT was a pipe dream! hahaha

(I didn't proof read this so if I sound like I didn't make it pass 3rd grade, you'll know why. hahaha)

brenda

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
In MY opinion you is pushing your luck

I wont hesitate in slapping a ban on you or anyone else I feel posting inappropriately.

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question