PC Security Advice Needed.................Please Help!

Reaction score
Computer Security Advice Required!

Hi guys,

I've just joined the forum and this is my first post!

I need your advice on a few issues, I hope you will kindly bear with me and be as comprehensive as possible. SORRY in advance for the detailed post.

I have got a Pentium 4, 40 GB, 512 Ram with Windows XP, Home PC.

Recently I had a an infection on my PC where I got a "W32.Myzor.FK@yf" message after my Internet Explorer Homepage had been taken over and a false message displayed. This happened despite me having Virgin's Anti-Virus, Virgin's Firewall (my Internet Service Provider) and Spy Bot Search and Destroy Anti-Spyware. Fortunately, I managed to fix the problem.

I would like your guidance on the best Free available security programs, I realise that most have their limitations, especially the Free ones. I normally download them from Filehippo.

Firewall

1) I don't know how familiar you are with Virgin Firewall that comes with their Broadband service, but do you think I should keep it?

2) Which Free Firewall would you recommend?

Anti-Virus

1) I've turned off the Virgin Anti-Virus program that came with their Broadband, again I don't know how familiar you are with it, but do you think I should stop using it?

2) Which Free Anti-Virus Program would you recommend, taking into account best detection and real time detection?

Anti-Spyware

I have currently got Spyware Terminator for Real Time scan and AVG 7.5 for a Full scan.

1) Is any particular one Free Anti-Spyware adequate enough that I should go for that even though it may not have the Real Time feature it's Full scan feature is comprehensive enough to make up for that and is better than those with the Real Time feature?

2) On the other hand, is there a Real Time Free Anti-Spyware program you would recommend that I should go for on it's own?

3) Or would you recommend that I should install an Anti-Spyware program that has Real Time and another I should install for a Full scan, therefore a combination of two, if so, which two would you recommend?

Summary

I realise that in such matters there isn't always a clear cut and straight forward answer......but making the best of a unideal situation and using your experience and judgement, in conclusion, which combination of Free Security Programs would you recommend I have on my PC that will best compliment each Security aspect for the following:

Firewall:

Anti-Virus:

Anti-Spyware (Single or Two):

I hope I didn't exhaust you too much!

Thank you very much for your kind assistance!

Jay

Last edited:
Reaction score
For your antivirus use Avast which you can find here

For your Firewall use Comodo which you can find here although Windows Firewall is fine to use.
And for anti spyware use Suoerantispyware which you can find here
Although in my opinion, and probably most others on here, dig in your pockets a little and get yourself Kaspersky Internet Security, you can't go wrong with that..
As for Virgin, erm well they haven't changed much since they were Blueyonder, so are still pretty crap..

Reaction score
Thanks Madx for your helpful advice.

Is Kaspersky "User Friendly" and fair to say will cover all my needs without me having to buy or downlod anything else?

Cheers mate

Reaction score
Jay Adam said:
Thanks Madx for your helpful advice.

Is Kaspersky "User Friendly" and fair to say will cover all my needs without me having to buy or downlod anything else?

Cheers mate

Hi Jay
Kaspersky sure will cover all your needs without having to purchase anything else..And it is very user friendly..I made the switch from Norton and to be honest until something better comes along I won't use anything but Kaspersky..

Reaction score
Thank you Madx.

I think I will install Kaspersky.

I wanted to ask you........in theory, should a Quality and Comprehensive Anti-Virus program protect a PC from most infections including Spyware.......I ask because a friend of mine is a Sytems Engineer and he doesn't have Anti-Spyware on his PC as he feels it slows it down?

Thank you for kind assistance.

Jay

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... in theory, should a Quality and Comprehensive Anti-Virus program protect a PC from most infections including Spyware
Yes, but only if the AV database is up-to-date and you don't find the new nastie first. :D

:thumb:

Sytems Engineer and he doesn't have Anti-Spyware on his PC as he feels it slows it down?
Then he has either a crap system or crap AV program ... fact, anything installed, & running, on a PC will slow it down. :nod:

:user:

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
I'll toss my two cents in here :) . My suggestions for free programs are as follows:

- AntiVir Personal Edition for your antivirus
- Online Armor for your firewall
- SUPERAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware for on-demand malware scanners
- Comodo BOClean for real time protection
- You may be able to run SpywareTerminator along with everything else

I've never been a fan of suites myself.

APK

Reaction score
Straight from a post in this forums - BEST SECURITY ADVICE I AM ABLE TO GIVE... apk

Well, purely per your SUBJECT-LINE (of "PC Secuirty Advice Needed"):

Give this a "look-see"...

HOW TO SECURE Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003, & even VISTA, + make it "fun-to-do", via CIS Tool Guidance:

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3511888.php

:)

* Give it a go... especially CIS Tool, & THEN - the rest of the points in that thread I "layer ontop" of CIS Tool's 'industry best practices' type advisements, as regards PC security online today (ESPECIALLY today, in the era of the poisoned adbanner &/or bogus javascript bearing sites + vulnerable apps etc. et al).

(I recommend it, & mainly because of what I do for a living (combined coder & networker + security oriented largely on the job on both)... the "std. stuff" like you're asking about? It's just NOT enough, in & of itself, else I would not see oh... roughly 25-100 people a week being infested by TODAY'S attacks online!)

APK

P.S.=> Nice part is, that CIS Tool extends not ONLY to Windows NT-based OS' of "modern variety" (such as Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003) but, also to LINUX users (& other *NIX variants too)... & many of the points I 'point out' (pun intended) also work on *NIX (such as the benefits for BOTH speed & security online today, ESPECIALLY today) such as HOSTS files, Javascript & other browser addons security points, + more... have fun too, because CIS Tool is very much like running a PC Benchmark for PERFORMANCE, albeit, it is security-oriented... enjoy! apk

Last edited:

Ask a Question