Advice Needed!!!!!

Reaction score
Ok so check this.....

I have Nortan Anti-Virus and Protection ****. Well i did a year subcription and my thing ends in 71 Days. Which is about 2 and a half months or so. In the 10 months that ive had it, i can say that its very good, but slows my computer down alot. I was wondering if there were any programs that were just as effective and didnt slow my computer down and ****....Ive been looking on this Forum and i think i heard someone say there was some free **** that works better than Nortan and it does not slow it down at all...

Thoughts......Suggestions.....NEEDED!

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Yes, there are loads of free programs out there that will do the job.

In fact, there are many people who feel that Norton Anti-Virus is not good and will never use it. After seeing what it does when the subscription runs out.
Like when a dialog box appears telling you to pay for a new subscription online and when you close it, it just re-appears.

And the fact it often just says it can't do anything about the virus.

Anyway, the suggestions:

Avira (previously Anti-Vir) PersonalEdition Classic - here - a very good program - highly recommended

Avast Anti-Virus here

(Just based on my experiences - these are the programs I put onto the computers I deal with that need a decent antivirus solution.)

Just two great programs. Other forum members will probably have many more suggestions.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I am and have been using Antivir for a while now, no complaints here. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Unlikely but depends on the spec of said PC. What is your spec?

I have three process' running for antivir as i type....

avgnt.exe - Tray icon
avguard.exe - guard
sched.exe - updater

Reaction score
V_R said:
Unlikely but depends on the spec of said PC. What is your spec?

I have three process' running for antivir as i type....

avgnt.exe - Tray icon
avguard.exe - guard
sched.exe - updater

Windows XP Home Edition, 2.8 GHz, 504MB of RAM, 80G Hard Drive. Internet Connection is the 2nd highest Bell South Offers on DSL. i got a DVD Burner and Player...17 inch Flat Panel LCD.

Anything Else ya need to know.

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Your computer's way fast enough to run either of those programs. I've used Anti-Vir on a 700MHz PC with 128MB RAM. Even though it scans every file that Windows or you accesses, it's quite remarkable the way you don't notice it.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That's good enough. you should be fine. :)

Just be sure to remove all of Nortons before you install Antivir, if that is what you decide to do.

When i set up my bro's new lappy it had nortons preinstalled, The first thing i did was uninstall that via 'Add and Remove Programs' (Including the Live Update crap) then i ran the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of any left overs.
Finally i ran CCleaner to get rid of any last bits of rubbish that the above may have missed. :)

When i did that I noticed i had got rid of over 10 running process' in task manager. :rolleyes: It had definitely slowed the thing down....

Any Q's just ask. :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
By the way, dont forget to back up the registry in the unlikely event you'll need to restore something. ;)

Reaction score
yea thanks guys, i un-installed Nortan and the Live Update thing....I installed the AntiVir. Im also thinking about Installing SpyBot as well....or does AntiVir cover Spyware?

Reaction score
Electronics & Photo Fan said:
No, AntiVir doesn't detect or deal with spyware/adware.

Installing Spybot S&D would be a good idea,

and Lavasoft's Ad-Aware (free too) is also a good program.

so basically SpyBot and AntiVir is all i basically need for my security needs. O and is SpyBot and AntiVir(combined) slow my computer down as much as Nortan did? I can just not leave them running on my taskbar right?

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Plus, remember to update AntiVir and whatever anti-spyware program you choose as soon as you install - the definition files provided to begin with are usually old versions.

Reaction score
Plus, remember to update AntiVir and whatever anti-spyware program you choose as soon as you install - the definition files provided to begin with are usually old versions.
i did. can you answer the question i had before this post.

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Oops, we posted at the same time.

I don't know about Spybot, but Ad-Aware only runs when you're scanning for spyware. It doesn't even sit in the system tray.

Reaction score
Oops, we posted at the same time.

I don't know about Spybot, but Ad-Aware only runs when you're scanning for spyware. It doesn't even sit in the system tray.

even if Sybot sits in the Tray, i can take it out by closing the program on the tray, does that make sure its not running at all, or is there a way it could still be running without being in the tray at all.

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
There is a way that it could be running as a process, even if you do close it from the system tray, but it is not likely to do this if you close it by clickling close on the system tray icon.

To check, you can press Control-Alt-Delete, and take a look at the 'Running Processes'. When you close the program from the system tray, the process should terminate. I can't see why it wouldn't.

Reaction score
There is a way that it could be running as a process, even if you do close it from the system tray, but it is not likely to do this if you close it by clickling close on the system tray icon.

To check, you can press Control-Alt-Delete, and take a look at the 'Running Processes'. When you close the program from the system tray, the process should terminate. I can't see why it wouldn't.

yea i know the cnrl, alt, del. deal.....ive been doing it for years:)

Ask a Question