ADSL modem question

Reaction score
I have just installed an adsl modem which is connected to my PC with a USB port and also to my phone socket.

I am finding that none of my phones work when I am using broadband.

Do I need an ADSL filter on every phone in the house so that they work while I'm on the internet??

Is there a special filter or device that I need to connect to all my phones so that everything works??

I'm a bit clueless. I'm asking this forum as I've already spend hours on the phone with my Broadband provider and I just can't face asking them yet another question!!

Please help.

Reaction score
I'm a bit clueless. I'm asking this forum as I've already spend hours on the phone with my Broadband provider and I just can't face asking them yet another question!!

this doesn't supprise me one bit, all ISP's tech support is a bit iffy at the best of times, they go off flow charts and if a situation arises that isn't covered by these charts they tend to panic and refer to manufacturers!

anyway

yes you need a filter on every telephony device thats connected to the same phone line, if your having probs getting adsl to work, to rule this out being the problem just disconnect all other devices from the phone line and just leave the adsl modem connected. if it works then you know it's the filter config thats incorrect.

nice description below

http://www.usbtech.co.uk/catalog/pr...id/37?osCsid=423454a1defb743a7aae62621802fe6f

good site for adsl customers

http://www.adslguide.org

James

Reaction score
many thanks for your advice.

I'm experiencing soooo may problems since starting up with Broadband. I advise anyone who's thinking of using Tiscali ....DON'T!!!! I wish I had gotten advice before signing up for a 1 year contract. Big mistake. There is absolutely no way out of this contract...even if their customer service is appalling and their braodband doesn't work on your computer....

First off. They didn't warn me that I would definitely need a firewall in place before I even connected. I got the 'Sasser Virus' within 1 minute of connecting.

I subsequently got 3 more viruses after that.

After getting rid of all the viruses, I installed Firewall and Antirus.......I then found that I couldn't connect to Broadband at all. It seemed that the settings were too high.

When I phone the supposedly 'technical helpline' they said that they couldn't configure the Firewall to work with their ISP. They advised me to disable Firewall.

I don't really understand this sort of advice at all !!

Anyway....I'm feeling a bit sore about the situation at the moment and I feel I just have to inform everyone who's thinking of using this ISP.

Also....can anyone suggest where I can find about about the best settings for Norton Antivrus and Firewall for Broadband?? I can't get any info on this.

I'll post this is in the software forum (if there is one)

Thanks all.

Reaction score
mojo,

believe me when i say there all the same, i hate to say it but in some respects they're right, they're not there to show you how to configure your firewall, but it would have been curtious if they had have adv of the security risks of broadband, virus', worms, hackers etc.

i assume it works fine when the firewall is disabled?

what version of norton firewall are you using?

when you say you can't connect to broadband, error message?

norton should automatically create a rule for your broadband connection!

james

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
They're not all the same. I've been with Zen Broadband for 14 months now, they're good. And the helpline is actually helpful. £28.00 a month, minimum one month contract, no one year contracts.

A friend of mine had nightmares with Tiscali as well, they are right up there with timeshare and double glazing salesmen, imo.

If it were me, I wouldn't pay them and pull out of the contract, if they start any of that legal stuff, argue that why should you pay for a service that doesn't work. I reckon they'd back down.

But that's just me.

It is possible to be hit with a virus within minutes of connecting online. I use a router, which is a hardware firewall, but before that all I had was a network hub and Grisoft AVG on each computer (free) and I never suffered from any viruses that were not sent by email.

Reaction score
before that all I had was a network hub and Grisoft AVG on each computer (free) and I never suffered from any viruses that were not sent by email.

you must have been lucky then flop, anti virus software doesn't prevent internet worms, only detects them once they have attacked, and alot of worms disable av s/w when they attack.

when i say that all isp's are the same i speak in general terms which i'm sure you'll agree is correct, but, it still isn't the job of the isp to configure third party s/w nor to adv their customer on how best to secure their computer, it is up to the customer to research the risks before signing up to such a service.

Reaction score
I realize that it's not really Tiscali's job to configure the Firewall for me, but it would be very helpful if they could set up a general advice page on what settings are best for Broadband so that it works.

I feel that this is a very important issue. What is the point is getting Broadband if you are open to continual virus attacks? I wish I'd just stuck with AOL regular dial up. I didn't even need any Firewall or antivirus and I never got any viruses!!

I think that the Broadband is definitely more trouble than its worth. It takes ages to set up and actually I am finding that it is not that much quicker than regular dial up internet. And if there's any sign that wrong has been done on the part of AOL they were always keen to help me, or refund me whenever neccessary.

Tiscali do not do this. They are like Lonesharks. They take your money and don't care about you. I am unable to pull out of this contract even though I've been having so many problems. I threatened them with going to trading standards, and they just don't care!!

The reason I went with them is because they seemed like a respectable company and were advertised on TV. If you sign up with them for 12 months Broadband is just 15.99 a month. That is why I was lured into thinking I was gettin a bargain. But with all the telephone charges I have incurred trying to set it up, it's definitely not worth it................i wanted to go with ntl but I'm not in their area unfortunately.

Anway,.....I've gone on way too long about this issue....... in answer to your question Techy, I'm using Firewall 2003. I have managed to set it up to work with Broadband through trial and error. I had to disable alot of the firewalls functions, like 'intrusion detection', 'privacy control', 'ad blocking'. and I've kept 'security', 'firewall' and norton antivirus' on, and it seems to be working.

Before, when I had everything activated in Firewall and antivirus it didn't work. I kept on getting a message saying 'page cannot be displayed' . But now everythings working OK.

What settings do you use?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A fair point Techy, a fair point. Guess I must have been lucky then, not getting a worm. Hmm.

I was with AOL for about five years on dial-up, and despite all the stick they get, and their odd software, they're really not too bad at all. At the time, they were the only ISP to provide, for £16.00 a month, unlimited time on the net and no capped downloads.

But Broadband is worth it just to play Call Of Duty online :D

Reaction score
i'm with aol at the mo (512k), my dad's choice not mine, but i must admit as long as you bypass you spyware, sorry i meant the software, then connection is superb!

don't think much of the technical support, although i have only called them once.

Reaction score
mojo, reinstall both the aniti virus and firewall so both are using default settings, the only thing you should need to change is to disable script blocking in norton anti virus.

James

Ask a Question