Modem or PCI Modem ?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_6117.html

The ever popular Dynamode M-ADSL-PCI-C is the perfect choice for all your ADSL applications. Based around Globespan GS7370 Chipset.

Featuring line performance up to ADSL 8Mbps downstream and up to 512Kbytes upstream this ADSL Modem is perfect for System Builders and anyone looking for a cost effective ADSL Broadband solutions.

FEATURES
# Compliant with ADSL standards
- Full-rate ANSI T1.413 Issue 2 and ITU G.dmt (G.992.1) standards
- Splitterless ITU G.lite (G.992.2) specification
# DMT modulation and demodulation
# Full rate transmission at up to 8 Mbps downstream and 640 Kbps upstream
# G.lite Transmission at up to 1.5 Mbps downstream and 512 Kbps upstream
# Support PPP over ATM (RFC 2364) and bridged Ethernet over ATM (RFC 1483)

Is their any down side to using the above modem card as opposed to using a stand alone modem like the BT 220V I am using at the moment.
Advantages that I can see to the PCI Card is that I would not need to have wires trailing around and it would free up a wall plug.
Downside is that to use othere pc's I would have to have me present pc turned on and connect by network, thats for accessing the web.

Views greatly appreciated.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Unless you buy a set of wireless cards and bridge the connections via the network ? ;)

Maybe that a bit complicated though?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The mobo in me main pc can act as a AP an I have a Wireless PCI card for other pc's so I'm not so interested in information about the networking side.

I was really asking if the PCI moodem card is as capable and has the same security features as the stand alone modem. As I have room in me pc for the card it would be a much neater solution as I would save on desk space and less wires etc etc. I have not come accross PCI modems before so know nothing about them.

Ta for the reply TD.

:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've never used one but I can't see any problems, I'd certainly use one.

All it's doing that's different as far as I can see is taking it's power and connections direct.

They're usually a fair bit cheaper too.

Reaction score
Its a ashame companys don't make internal Cable modems.

Although I guess I could mod one to run inside and use juice from my PC :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks guys . I might order one. If I remember, I just been on a three day beer festival tasting stint. All in the name of science you know.

happywave.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I have not come accross PCI modems before so know nothing about them
We have had PCI modems for years, you actually plugged your telephone line directly into them ... we called them dial-up modems ... they were slow. :lol:

ADSL = asynchronous dsl modem, that usually sits on your desk, is an update, check that it will work with your phone line. (BT usually)

:thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The BT Voyager 220v is a fully-fledged ADSL router with NAT, DHCP and Firewall features. The BT Voyager 220v is pre-configured to work on UK ADSL lines. In addition, all routing and networking parameters can be configured to match your needs.

• Pre-configured to work on UK ADSL lines, including AOL. Fully tested at BT ADSL Lab.
  • ADSL2/2+ ready. Supports data rate up to 24 Mbps downstream and 3 Mbps upstream.
I'm using the above at the moment and am with AOL so I'm guessing I can swap the above for the PCI card.

:blush:

Ask a Question