Access Administrator has denied access to CD/DVD ROM drives... Intel Utilities...???

Reaction score
I saw a thread about this problem, which last concluded to uninstall Intel Utilities... Where do I find Intel Utilities, cuz when I open up the remove programs option on the control panel, all I see is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator ... And if I remove this device will it interfere with my internet radio station that I use Winamp/Shoutcast for, and how do I find it and reinstall it if I need it...

AC The PD

Reaction score
"Administrator has denied access to CD/DVD ROM drives"
So your on a networked pc?
It's been done for a reason by your Administrator!
Suggest you speak to them about the problem.:thumb:

Reaction score
No sir... It's already been discussed before, as I said... I am the administrator... not networked... Next...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
What OS are you running - XP Pro/Home?

If you have Intel Utilities installed, you should have an entry within Start>Programs I would imagine - if you don't see it there try looking in Program Files on your HD, or search for awtray.exe or awserv.exe and see where they point to.

Edit: By the way, your first post doesn't make it clear at all whether you are the administrator or not - so please don't antagonise the members ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sir,

I apologize for appearing to be the antagonizer... Didn't intend to... I did say in the post of this that this problem already was addressed before, and the original person who started it stated that they were the Admin... I am using a XP Pro system... I don't know how or where to locate the Intel Utilites, or how to find the awtray.exe thing...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ignant said:
Sir,

I apologize for appearing to be the antagonizer... Didn't intend to... I did say in the post of this that this problem already was addressed before, and the original person who started it stated that they were the Admin.
If you had posted a link to the thread your referring to then we may have been able to deduce that, we are not mind-readers ;)

Ignant said:
... I am using a XP Pro system... I don't know how or where to locate the Intel Utilites, or how to find the awtray.exe thing...
I've told you where to look in my post above - to do a search on your PC for those 2 files go to Start>Search>Files or Folders :thumb:

I am only seeing if you have these Intel Utilities - you may not, in which case the problem lies elsewhere....

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Well it appears you do have Intel Desktop Utilities installed, so you must have a folder somewhere on your hard drive relating to it - the search result will tell you where it is...

It should say something like C:\Program Files\xxxxxxxxx

Go to that folder and double click on setup.exe and select uninstall - if it says certain files are in use, note what they are then go to Task Manager and stop them then try uninstalling again.

Reaction score
Will I need to reinstall it to make my PC normal again...? If so, how...? I do not see Intel Desktop Utilities, I see other Intel folders but not one by that exact name....

Reaction score
Also, when I do a search for Intel Desktop, nothing comes up... When I do one on intel I get quite a few things, but nothing with Intel Desktop anything...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Intel Utilities is an add on program - you don't need it, but you can try a re-install it if you want too.

When you did the search for those items using Start>Search>Files or Folders, on the results screen it shows where those files are to be found (Its the whole idea of searching - to find them!)

Post here where it says those 2 files can be found please....

Reaction score
It says:

awtray c:\ACER\LANScope Agent 1,271 KB APPLICATION

AWTRAY.EXE-00ee4cc0.pf c:\WINDOWS\Prefetch 59 KB PF File

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
From those file paths it seems you have some Acer Desktop utilities installed, rather than Intel.

Try this:

Go to Task Manager (Ctrl, Alt + Del) and see if either of those proceesses are running, if so highlight them one by one and press 'end process'

Then see if you can access your drives....

Reaction score
That's the only process running that says Acer on it... and I don't see any more aw things..

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ignant said:
I ended both those 2 aw things and it still won't open...
OK

Ignant said:
Should I end Acer.Empowering process...?
I wouldn't bother - I doubt its the cause.

To be honest I've got nothing further to add that may help you, except re-install windows - maybe try contacting Acer support?

Ask a Question