ac97 sound card will not start (code 10)

Reaction score
Could some one please assist me .
I have a gigabyte GA-7VM400M mother board which comes with a onboard ac97 sound card.Video etc.
A couple of weeks after setting up the system i noticed that some times i had audio controlls and some times i diddnt. So i decided to check it out, i found that some times my computer would recognise that i had a sound device and then sometimes not.
So i asked for help i was told to make sure i had the correct drivers installed, which i have, the drivers that came on the cd. But i then uninstalled them and reinstalled them anyway.
This only made things worse from having sound sometimes that was of good quality, i then had very scratchy distorted sound. Sometimes if i wanted to listen to music i could not surf the net at the same time as scrolling around a page would cause distortion and the sound would dissapear.
I have now had no sound at all for 6 weeks and have only yesterday uninstalled the ac97 hardware and then reinstalled it but now when im in device manager and look at the device status it says it unable to start (code 10) i have no idea what this is ,i have searched through the windows help but to no avail.
I have been told it could also be a virus, but as i do have a fire wall and constantly update my protection and scan my system, with no mention of a virus i find it hard to beleive it could be one.
My pc specs are,
512 mb ddr 400
Amd xp athlon + 2600 (thoroughbred)
Maxtor diamond max 120gig hard drive
windows xp pro (service pack 2)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A firewall won’t block all viruses, you really do need some anti-virus program running.

Download either AntiVir or AVG Anti Virus and update and run one of them. They’re both freebies.

Also, go to Gigabyte UK and download the latest audio drivers for your board (enter your board number at the top of this page). Whilst you’re at it, download and later install any other drivers from that list that are relevant.

Lastly, completely uninstall all the old sound drivers, including any folders in Program Files on C drive. If you want to use This Program, Reg Edit, you can easily remove any registry entries relating to the sound drivers. Word of warning: Be VERY CAREFUL when using Reg Edit, if you’re not sure what something is, LEAVE IT ALONE. Reg Edit is free software, btw.

Only remove registry entries that you can positively identify as sound software entries.

After all that, install new drivers that you’ve downloaded from Gigabyte UK and let us know how you get on.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and when you've finished that, download the programs in my sig', with the exception of ZA if your happy with your firewall.

Install 'em, update them and run them.

;)

Reaction score
if u got some spare hard ware try another sound card like creative disable on board first(i just like medling)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wonder whatever happened to Dazza30?

In with one prob, then pfft.... gorn :D

wiv not even so much as a fank yoo guvnor :(

Ask a Question