A way to spam? Or a goody do you think?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Have any of you guys used "TrialPay" and if so, what is your opinion of it please? I have encountered the "offer" on a few websites now, (including that of ZoneAlarm) but have so far, steered clear of it, on the basis that "if it seems too good to be true... it probably is" :rolleyes:

If I understand it correctly, you can elect to get some software which would normally have to be paid-for, for free - providing you choose to have a free trial of something else at the same time. It seems to be an advertising thing... I think advertisers pay the company, in return for your email and name...?

I have Googled around, and read their own blurb, but still not quite sure whether I'm potentially "missing out on something good," or I'm being wise to be cautious ... so, do any of you guys know anything about it please?

Thank you for reading :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've not used it myself - I'm guessing that you'll need to submit payment details to something like a DVD rental company in return for some free software in the hope that you'll like it and continue with it. If you cancel it straight away, then I suppose there's no harm done though.

I'd probably give it a go once to see what it was like, but only if one of the trial offers appealed.

It seems like a legitimate enough company, and if you can find something that requires a one off small payment to "try" then I don't see what's wrong with it :)

There's a writeup of it here, with a comment by the CEO at the bottom which is quite interesting:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/140029/trialpayfree_stuff_with_some_strings.html

What is it that you are thinking about trying?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for the link Ian, it was interesting and I hadn't seen that one. It pretty much echoes what I'd suspected, i.e., that it's probably just as well to buy what you want, rather than have to sign-up for other stuff.

I still use Zone Alarm on our XP machine and, they were offering their paid-for security suite via "TrialPay" recently, but I was a bit skeptical about it. But then I began to notice it on other websites I've visited recently, so I became curious and wondered what others might be thinking about it.

Thanks again Ian :thumb: :D

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
If it gets you what your after though for cheaper then it must be worth a dabble...Amazon do a similar thing where they state other buyers also bought this/that so could be very beneficial ??

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I got my RoboForm Pro for free from a similar type of offer. Just can not remember from where.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question