Smart Meters anyone?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just wondered whether any of you guys have one of these, monitoring your energy usage?

We received a letter from our electricity company today, telling us that "..all meters have to be replaced after they have been in use for a set period of time." (They didn't say what that period of time might actually be.)

Anyway, the letter went on to say that "we plan to replace the meter with a new smart meter, if your property is suitable."

I can quite understand the "green" viewpoint, that folk who have these meters, can keep an eye on their usage and become more aware of energy wastage. Fair enough. But the irksome point (for me) is that they are so shy of giving-out information.

"There is no up-front charge for the installation of a smart meter..." Oh goody... or... no, wait a minute. They're not saying that it's free, are they? No, it's just not up-front, so will be tacked onto the bill a little more sneakily. No mention of the sum either (although a bit of rooting around on The Money Saving Expert website, mentioned the sum of about £200+ paid incrementally. Why not just tell us that up-front?

It's rather easy to sound paranoid about this kind of thing, so ok, go ahead and have a chuckle. But, it seems that "smart meters" also provide utility companies with the ability to be able to remotely perform various changes to a person's supply. Such as capping their usage (for example - although there are, apparently, government guidlines in force about that.) It would also potentially allow companies to switch a customer (again remotely) from, say, quarterly payment meter, to a pre-payment meter.

Once again, I know that in some circumstances, it might actually be necessary. I just feel a bit uncomfortable about the Big Brother aspect... probably, I shouldn't have read my way quite so thoroughly, through the aforementioned blurb-sheets. lol

It's funny though - that nowhere in that blurb, does it give a mention to being able to opt-out of having a smart meter. Yet, dig around on their website, and there it is! An opt-out form. Hmm... wonder whether they would honour it...?

Reaction score
I've stayed away just a gimmick imho

Plus allows them to do all sorts of things without you knowing

Big brother all over again as you say

Maybe I'm being Paranoid?

They can't force you to have one either. My neighbour was asked and he kindly refused

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... don't worry, your property is too old. :lol:

;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
... don't worry, your property is too old. :lol:

;)
Actually, our house is only about 40 yrs old. I don't think property-age has much to do with it. From what I read, between now and 2020, they plan to roll-out smart metering for every home in Britain.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Quite happy with my Dumb Meter, thanks.

I'm not convinced that having a Smart Meter will particularly make people keep a close eye on their energy use. I think Smart Meters are really for the energy companies so that they can spy on us and eventually charge different tariffs at different times of the day. Yes, you'll be doing your washing in the middle of the night. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes Niv - and TXD, I agree with your sentiments.

Ok, so maybe some families would like to be able to closely-monitor their consumption of energy - particularly if they want to encourage their youngsters to be less careless about switching things off. But, it could also cause others to be a bit intimidated by the rising figures they see. I can imagine the scenario of some elderly folk (for example) being worried about leaving a light on because they will see it as being a waste, rather than a safety measure. That kind of thing.

I'm afraid it would be unlikely to make any difference at all to what we consume here. What we use, is what we need. So a complete waste of time and resources.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have a key meter for both gas and electric. So British Gas know everything anyway.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Pre-payment meter? What the heck is that? Never mind, I Googled. Ahem...

jerry-mouse-facepalm1.jpg

Um... Seriously? Pre-payment meters? For energy? In 2014?

Here (Helsinki) every single meter vas "smart" in 2013. Ditto for district heating. Pretty much the same throughout the country. No immediate cost to consumers. According to Helen, the actual cost per (changed) meter was €180, but new meters will be cheaper to operate.

1227749_090930094715_Asterix_Fallin.jpg

Ahem... has not happened yet. :fool:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Um... Seriously? Pre-payment meters? For energy? In 2014?

Funny a few people have said that to me until I showed them how much less I pay every month than they do with the same size property :thumb:

Reaction score
Same as water meters

United Utilities tried to charge me £40pm for water I told em to get stuffed

They insisted as it was a standard charge for my property.

I said "what property" they said a terraced house.

I said "wrong its two abodes in one split property, I want a water meter"

They said "no"

I said "Yes or you ain't getting any money what so ever"

They said "ok we will serve a court order"

I said "fine"

Two months later nothing but a letter asking for permission to enter property to fit a meter

Ok fine!

My water rates are now between £6 and 7.25 a month

Ask a Question