A Plumbing Question

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Knowing that we have such knowledgeable members in PCR, I wonder if any of you could please offer any pointers with this one :)

In brief, our kitchen sink sprang a leak (ancient stainless steel jobbie) so we have bought a new replacement. Also, a new base carcass (which I will be putting together, maybe later today).

We will need the services of a plumber to fix up the taps, etc., but it is so many years since we last needed to call one out, that we're wary of seeming to be too "green" - if you understand?

We have been given the names of 3 recommended plumbers, but we don't have much time to faff about. The job is not really an "emergency" as such, but darned inconvenient 'cause we cannot use the sink... the mixer tap developed a fault at the same time (leaking, and no, new washers don't solve the leaks.)

So do we admit to being a bit "desperate" in the hope that they will not keep us waiting too long? Or be more laid-back... "no problem, the lake which keeps forming in the kitchen is becoming a feature :rolleyes:"

Should they charge by the hour? Or by the task? Any views would be much appreciated. (My last enquiry of this kind - re the tree - saved us such a lot in the end, simply because we were a bit better informed.)

Thank you for reading...:D

Reaction score
Hey,

Don't know much about plumbing, but I reckon you get the three of them out in the same day, tell them what you want done and ask then to give you a quote for the work. They should do a free quote for the job. You should tell them that you're getting another couple of quotes and you'll come back to them later that day or the next with a decision. Then you can see who you feel most comfortable with and with three quotes you should work out how much it should cost I reckon.

Bodhi

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you are building the base unit the rest should be easy to DIY. If the pipes are in slightly the wrong place then you can get some flexible connectors about 12" long to make up the differeence then all you need are a couple of spanners and a screwdriver.

Or follow bodhi's advice.

happywave.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
If you are building the base unit the rest should be easy to DIY. If the pipes are in slightly the wrong place then you can get some flexible connectors about 12" long to make up the differeence then all you need are a couple of spanners and a screwdriver.

Or follow bodhi's advice.

happywave.gif

Thank you Bodhi, good point :thumb:

Abarbarian - are those flexible hoses really as easy as that to connect? Will they be leak-proof with just some nut-tightening (I'm fairly handy with a spanner.) The last lot were soldered in, as I recall (that was about 29 years ago, so no wonder the darned things are leaking lol.)

I did take a lingering look at some flexible fittings, down in the DIY and wondered whether I could manage it myself (it didn't look like rocket science, however, it's not something I've tried before.) Must admit, I would like to give it a go, but I'm just a tad apprehensive of ending-up with an indoor fountain to go with the "lake!" :lol:

Reaction score
Taffycat said:

Thank you Bodhi, good point :thumb:

Abarbarian - are those flexible hoses really as easy as that to connect? Will they be leak-proof with just some nut-tightening (I'm fairly handy with a spanner.) The last lot were soldered in, as I recall (that was about 29 years ago, so no wonder the darned things are leaking lol.)

I did take a lingering look at some flexible fittings, down in the DIY and wondered whether I could manage it myself (it didn't look like rocket science, however, it's not something I've tried before.) Must admit, I would like to give it a go, but I'm just a tad apprehensive of ending-up with an indoor fountain to go with the "lake!"
laughingsmiley.gif

Hi Taffycat
We had a new unit,sink and mixer tap,fitted in the upstairs bathroom quite some time ago by a plumber,and the down stairs kitchen.And he used those flexible hoses,which, to me seemed, he did it in no time. So far no leaks. But I wouldn`t do it my self I leave that sort of thing to the pros`.
historian

Reaction score
Hi taffy,

Do it yourself. Its no biggy really. If the last job was soldered then the pipes may have to be cut. This also is no biggy as your are replacing the base....Here's what to do. 1, turn the water off at the mains. There may be a valve under the sink unit beside where the work needs to be done.2 If the sink is not piped using nuts you will have to cut the pipes in order to free up the sink. Once you have cut the pipes the sink unit should lift away from the base ( may take a bit of persuasion )unit. 3 clean upthe pipes where they have been cut with some sandpaper and then you are ready for the new sink to be fitted. Using the flexible joints AB mentioned earlier connect from the top of the pipes to the bottom of the taps. Its best to fit the taps to the sink unit ahead of time. It can be a bit awkward fitting the base in and will take a bit of time but just relax and dont panic and it will be easier than you imagined.
Failing that get someone else to do it. A skilled person should do it in less than 2 hours.
Good luck now and lets know how it went and dont forget to have a basin at the ready for spills or excess water and a mop.
Zzzzz

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi there Historian, thank you for your reply, and thank you Zed, for the very helpful how-to.

It really does sound "do-able" but the only thing that might present a bit of a problem, is the actual "heavy-awkwardness" of the job. Terry is not able to lift heavy things these days (due to spine and heart probs) so I don't want to risk getting myself into trouble, only to have him try to help, and possibly injure himself. That wouldn't be good.

I am currently taking a breather from assembling the base-unit carcass (phew, it is very warm work today,) Terry is being "gopher" and has popped out to buy ice cream. :D The unit has fitted together nicely so far, but of course, it gets heavier and heavier as the pieces are assembled, so I've a feeling I'm going to "discover" muscles I didn't know I had after this.... ouch! It can sit in the centre of the kitchen, overnight (will be interesting, 'cause it's not a very big kitchen:p)

Okay, tea-break over, exit stage right, singing "hi-ho, hi-ho 'tis off to work I go..." :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101316/Plumbing/Flexible-Hoses;jsessionid=M3NISJ1N534FGCSTHZOSFFQ

Main list

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/77154/Plumbing/Flexible-Hoses/Flexible-Tap-Connector-15mm-x-x-300mm

Tap connector without valve

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67794.../Flexible-Tap-Connector-With-Valve-15mm-x-3-4

Tap connector with valve

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/100122/Plumbing/Compression-Fittings

Main list compression

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25642...terlite-Straight-Coupling-610-15mm-Pack-of-10

Compression coupling , you only need one per pipe.

You can tighten all these with two spanners and they will be secure and water tight.

You need either of the two flexibles shown. You have to get the right size for the tap end, ususally a stasndard size. Othere end will usually be 15mm.

The water pipe itself shoud have a screwfitting on it that used to fasten to the old taps, this should be a female end. So you will need a compression fitting with two male ends, see the last link, take of the nuts and you have what you need.

So you put the flexible on to the tap, a compression fitting on the other end then fit that to the water pipe.

Only thing to whatch out for is that older pipes and fittings may be metric or imperial. Choose your bits accordingly.

Post pics of your pipes etc if you need more advice.

nod.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dont want to state the obvious but....dont put the doors ont front till the jobs finished.

Reaction score
Also just as i read AB's post....as you said the job was last done 29 year ago then it will most likely be imperial fittings. If the original pipe is soldered then you will have to cut the pipe and therefore wont have to worry about compression fittings to fix it to the pipe....i reckon you will most likely getaway with one of these laddies. AB what do ya think of these fittings cos the i think the original pipe will have to be cut.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/45149/Plumbing/Flexible-Hoses/Speedfit-Hose-22mm-x-3-4-x-13mm

Nearly forgot the link again
Zzzzz

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Also just as i read AB's post....as you said the job was last done 29 year ago then it will most likely be imperial fittings. If the original pipe is soldered then you will have to cut the pipe and therefore wont have to worry about compression fittings to fix it to the pipe....i reckon you will most likely getaway with one of these laddies. AB what do ya think of these fittings cos the i think the original pipe will have to be cut.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/45149/Plumbing/Flexible-Hoses/Speedfit-Hose-22mm-x-3-4-x-13mm

Nearly forgot the link again
Zzzzz

Domestic water pipes are not usually 22mm so this one is probably a better choice.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28075/Plumbing/Flexible-Hoses/Speedfit-Hose-3-4-x-15mm-13mm

I'm not a fan of SpeedFit couplings. My original suggestion will work even if the pipe has been cut if logic is applied.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Taffycat said:

Should they charge by the hour? Or by the task?

If you have assembled the base unit and fitted the new sink in yourself,any half decent plumber would normally charge you by the task, not by the hour. If there is exsisting hot and cold feed and waste already there. The job shouldn't take more than half an hour.Hence the plumber charging for the task as he will probably make more money than charging by the hour. But there again if its an English plumber, he'll probably get thre, unpack his tools, then tell you he is nipping off to the cafe for breakfast, get back fromthe cafe, have a poke about, then tell you he has to nip off for parts, which he incedently doesn't have on his van. He'll get back, have another poke about and tell you they are off to the cafe for lunch...2 hurs later they'll get back and do 25 minutes of work and bill you for 3 hours work @ £35 an hour. (brother is a plumber so know the prices)..So in my opinion, ask for a price for the task..BUt at the end of th day, follow the links etc that Abar has supplied for parts etc and do it yourslef...You'll be better off. And that way you don't have to wait for anybody, you could nip to B & Q or Wickes or any DIY store for that matter and gt whats needed...Its p*ss easy to do..

Here's a DIY how to for you to look at...:thumb:

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Domestic water pipes are not usually 22mm so this one is probably a better choice.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28075/Plumbing/Flexible-Hoses/Speedfit-Hose-3-4-x-15mm-13mm

I'm not a fan of SpeedFit couplings. My original suggestion will work even if the pipe has been cut if logic is applied.

nod.gif
Hi ABar as youre now known LOL....i was only using the fitting as an example. I reckon the pipe under the sink is probably a half inch and that the person getting the fitting would measure up before buying.
Anyway it looks there's plenty of folks here to help this evening...also how come you aint steaming?? LOL
Zzzzz

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I only linked to the Screwfix site as they had readily available pictures. Buying localy is a better option. A local plumbers merchant would be best as you can buy single items and would be cheaper than superstores. Flutter your eyelashes and look inteligently puzzled and you will be ok. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you all for the great info and links - I am checking them all out and having a good read. :thumb: I appreciate them all - and it's actually pretty interesting too.

Carcass is all built - except for the doors ;) (actually, we haven't bought those yet, because we haven't decided on a colour yet. The rest of the kitchen needs some updating, so I might refit it, one unit at a time. It's a bit chaotic, but less so than doing the whole thing at once.)

Hmm... I noticed two "metal eyes" beneath the new metal sink... so are these for an earthing wire? Looking at the old one (which is still in place.... ran out of energy...) there are no wires that I can see, earthing it...? There are no electrics in the immediate vicinity though, so perhaps that is why :confused: At any rate, we have never had any "shocks" from it lol.
:D

Reaction score
Taffycat said:

Hmm... I noticed two "metal eyes" beneath the new metal sink... so are these for an earthing wire? Looking at the old one (which is still in place.... ran out of energy...) there are no wires that I can see, earthing it...?

There is no need for the sink to be earthed, as there should already, (well depending on how old your house is) be an earth strap on the cold water feed bellow the sink..So what those 2 eyes are I am not sure..Did the sink come with any sort of drawing, detailing fitting etc..?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
There is no need for the sink to be earthed, as there should already, (well depending on how old your house is) be an earth strap on the cold water feed bellow the sink..So what those 2 eyes are I am not sure..Did the sink come with any sort of drawing, detailing fitting etc..?

The house is about 40 yrs old, but whilst we know that the heating system has been earthed, also the incoming gas supply pipes, we can't find a strap on the rising main (which is in the bathroom here.) Think we shall have to have a better look in the morning, when a bit more energy has been restored :nod:

Reaction score
Hey Taf,

Just run a cable from them eyes you eyed to the copper piping and you'll be fine. Thats what eyed do anyway :lol:

Zzzzz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm crap at plumbing :)

Just thought I'd mention that :D

I'll do anything - anything - electrics, building, decorating, tiling, but plumbing scares the hell outta me.

A little water goes a long long way :eek:

So I'll pass on this one.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just a quick update. After all the great encouragement and advice, I was up for giving it a go... however, next morning, my back had other ideas :( (It kept me pretty much out of action for about 8 weeks earlier this year, so didn't want to push my luck and go through a repeat performance.) So we called a plumber.

Actually, we called two ... the first one still hasn't "got back" to us :rolleyes: but the second one didn't mess around, and (faint) even quoted for the job over the phone, there and then: £75.

It took him three hours and to be fair, he worked on it solidly (we kept him lubricated with tea :) ) He fitted some isolating valves too, which will be handy next time we have to change tap washers, etc. :thumb: We are really pleased and would be happy to call him in again.

My back lives to "fight" another day... or in my case, to build another kitchen unit! :D I'm planning to renew the rest of the kitchen, cupboard by cupboard. It will take a while, but won't be quite so disruptive as having the whole kitchen out of action for weeks ;)

Thank you all again for the advice, it all helped enormously. :nod: Pints all round!! :D

pints.jpg
guinness.jpg

Ask a Question