Plumbing/electrial question - help

Reaction score
Don't know much about plumbing or electronics.

Yesterday heard a big bang one of our radiators burst in my bedroom water going through the ceiling.
The tank in the loft was frozen before this about 5 hours or so before I worked that out.
The water hot water at that took AGES to come out of the tap. Looks like the freezing cold really did some damage.

The radiator is one of 3 in the house we never changed could be 15-20 years old.

Anyway I turned the heating off then twisted those caps to stop any water flowing into that radiator. Worked a treat except the carpet is totally wet and damaged.

Right without the radiator life isn't that difficult but what happened today has been frustrating.
Electricity kept going off in the house went into garage and main isolator is turned off.

Tried turning it back on (sometimes this sort of thing happens) just normally flick it from off to on and it wouldn't work at all. So I went around the house turned everything off took out all plugs.
Then instead of flicking main isolater flicked just the little switches (like black boxes) one by one.
Suddenly eveything turns on looked fine.

Then in the space of 2 hours
it went off again 2wice when we put the kettle on.

Anyway it is back on now but I turned off the black little switch that puts a feed into the central heating and the immersion heater.

Here is where I think the problem is:
Right where the radiator is underneath is some wires. They run into the immersion heater and quite possibly TV antenna aireal, and maybe something for the central heating too (don't know what)
but there is lots of pumps and stuff like that in my room.

I think the water has gone into these wires or something like that
I know this sounds a bit daft but if a wire is covered/protected without any open parts can water still cause damage to the wire and or cause a problem even if it is 24 hours later?

Does that sound like water has messed something up?

Thanks for reading.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the pressure could be set too high for the remaining radiators and heater and it maybe causing a backup in the system, which is inturn tripping the switch on the heater.

I know a little about boilers and stuff from helping me dad but the guy who lives in the building opposite me works for british gas so i will go and ask him.

I wouldn't have thought that water would damage cables inside 24hours.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
BBBrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Is cold outside, allegedly he is at the pub, will speak to him tomorrow, sorry.

Edit: Quick thought, you haven't got water leaking into a socket somewhere have you? Or a wet socket still? Or perhaps a light fitting.?

Reaction score
Seems you have a water short somewhere. The reason its tripping out all the time si due to moisture within an electrical point. Check exactly where the water ran down carefull making sure you dont touch that area as it will be live until dried out if your breaker is left on. Your best bet is dont use that electrical point until it has dried out or is looked at by someone qualified...

It could be the damage is on the breaker responsible for the kitchin ring that is why is goes off when kettle goes on

Just be careful though

Where u live?

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If all was good before the radiator burst logical conclusion is that a pool of water is causing a short circuit somewhere.
Probably in the immediate vicinity of the burst radiator.

Given time it will probably dry out and all will be good but if you take up the floorboards near the burst rad and inspect, that would be a good idea.

As has been mentioned water could have made it's way into the rear of a socket, a downstairs light fitting in the ceiling (the most likely, imo) or even into a junction box used during the wiring.

You could try isolating one circuit at a time - the most likely suspects, obviously - and seeing if that eliminates the fault, then investigate. Whatever you do, before touching anything or drying anything out - ISOLATE THE MAINS.

We don't want a fried psd99 now do we? :)

As to why the rad burst, I've no idea, plumbing is not my forte though I have repaired a few combi boilers in me time.

And as a footnote - insulate the loft tank and if need be fit a lid to it so you can enclose the whole thing with insulation.

PS: And in answer to your question, insulated cable will not be affected by water, the water has to touch live exposed metal contacts to cause a short circuit.

Reaction score
Fault finding can be a tricky business to begin with tbh I have many a times stood there pondering over a problem only to give in and make a phone call and be given the most obvious of answers which is embarressing when your working in a clients house ;)

The best thing about this is simply the fact you pretty much know what caused the problem and the approximate area that is causing it.

BTW it hurts if you get a belt - As mentioned turn it off if you not sure what you doing!!!!

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
BBBrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Is cold outside, allegedly he is at the pub, will speak to him tomorrow, sorry.

Edit: Quick thought, you haven't got water leaking into a socket somewhere have you? Or a wet socket still? Or perhaps a light fitting.?

I'm not so sure if there is water anywhere haven't ripped the carpet off yet

there is a chance that water has gone into something
from memory I can't remember anything underneath there except wires
not a junction in site and the light in the room beneath has a wall between it (part of the house where it was extended)

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Seems you have a water short somewhere. The reason its tripping out all the time si due to moisture within an electrical point. Check exactly where the water ran down carefull making sure you dont touch that area as it will be live until dried out if your breaker is left on. Your best bet is dont use that electrical point until it has dried out or is looked at by someone qualified...

It could be the damage is on the breaker responsible for the kitchin ring that is why is goes off when kettle goes on

Just be careful though

Where u live?

The problem here is I don't know if it will dry out will rip carpet off today and access the area. Won't touch anything will turn off from main switch too thanks

I am from West London mate I make that 200 odd miles away from the Wirral. :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
If all was good before the radiator burst logical conclusion is that a pool of water is causing a short circuit somewhere.
Probably in the immediate vicinity of the burst radiator.

Given time it will probably dry out and all will be good but if you take up the floorboards near the burst rad and inspect, that would be a good idea.

As has been mentioned water could have made it's way into the rear of a socket, a downstairs light fitting in the ceiling (the most likely, imo) or even into a junction box used during the wiring.

You could try isolating one circuit at a time - the most likely suspects, obviously - and seeing if that eliminates the fault, then investigate. Whatever you do, before touching anything or drying anything out - ISOLATE THE MAINS.

We don't want a fried psd99 now do we? :)

As to why the rad burst, I've no idea, plumbing is not my forte though I have repaired a few combi boilers in me time.

And as a footnote - insulate the loft tank and if need be fit a lid to it so you can enclose the whole thing with insulation.

PS: And in answer to your question, insulated cable will not be affected by water, the water has to touch live exposed metal contacts to cause a short circuit.

thanks

yes we don't want a fried psd99 :)

Insulation is 2nd on the list

how can I dry out that water if there is any?
(there will be no electricity)

Reaction score
Thanks for all the inputs :)

well on the bright side I got to use my shiny and lovely torches

Reaction score
Marvellous thing Insurance? have you any home insurance if so just phone them tell them whats happened and thats it job done:)

Reaction score
itsme said:
Marvellous thing Insurance? have you any home insurance if so just phone them tell them whats happened and thats it job done:)

Yes but I am not sure if I got cover for that?

I did ring the buggers a few days ago to renew bloody hell

burst radiator and electric problem ......
I wonder

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
So what happened?

Nowt yet mate can't do it yet will do it this arvo

it did go out again once this morning bloody hell

Reaction score
psd99 said:
Yes but I am not sure if I got cover for that?

I did ring the buggers a few days ago to renew bloody hell

burst radiator and electric problem ......
I wonder

Phone them dont mess with it just phone them if your paying insurance you will be surprised whats covered ;)

Reaction score
bugger because radiator is wear and tear they don't cover that but will cover electricity

got plumber coming in so will see what he says

Reaction score
okay so far so good........

no outage so far...........water has dried.

"If it aint broken don't fix it"

Reaction score
psd99 said:
The problem here is I don't know if it will dry out will rip carpet off today and access the area. Won't touch anything will turn off from main switch too thanks

I am from West London mate I make that 200 odd miles away from the Wirral. :)

Yes thats quite a way. Never mind buddy.

So everything is staying on now then?

Ask a Question