A change of AV

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
My KIS is due for renewal in a couple of days, but this time I thought I might give Microsoft Security Essentials a go, along with the Vista firewall(?)

I know that KIS will have to be uninstalled, but I just wondered whether it would be possible to temporarily disable it just long enough to find out whether MSE is problem-free?

My reasoning being that if KIS is not running, but still technically available, it would be quick and easy to reinstate it if, for any reason, MSE didn't suit.

Could that work? Or does KIS really need to be completely uninstalled first please?

Thank you for looking :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You can disable KIS by right clicking > pause protection > pause (until user demand)... however I suspect there will still be some bits running in the background. However, it would be possible to uninstall KIS, but leave the config data intact - there's an option to do this :)

I've had good experience with MSE (not on my main PC, but on others that I've set up) - I'd recommend it :thumb: .

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
MSE or better still IMO is the new Avast 5. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I've had good experience with MSE (not on my main PC, but on others that I've set up) - I'd recommend it

Oh thank you Ian, that is good to know :thumb: I have noticed MSE getting a few mentions around PCR, so it seems like a good opportunity to give it a try.

Reflecting, I think I shall probably uninstall KIS first, just to give MSE a fairer chance. :nod:

V_R thank you too - I shall take a look-see at Avast 5, because atm, I have Antivir running on the other (XP) PC. So might give that a try on there :thumb:

Thanks for the helpful advice/suggestions, both are much appreciated. :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Avast is Probably the best free AV out there, been using it for 2 years now without a problem..
nod.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Could that work? Or does KIS really need to be completely uninstalled first please?
you WILL need to uninstall KIS first ... I'm actually off to me sisters today to do the very same thing. :D

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-4017881.php

... and just in case you missed it the first time;

In AV Comparative's most recent report on malware removal, MSE was the only free antivirus rated Advanced+. That ranking placed it alongside big names like Norton, Kaspersky, and F-Secure. Security Essentials also beat out technician favorite ESET, which managed only an Advanced rating.

It's also worth noting that only three antivirus apps - Norton 2010, eScan, and Security Essentials - scored marks of good or better in removal of malware and removal of leftovers. So not only has MSE beaten free competitors like AVG (version 8.5 tested, not 9.0), Avira, and Avast, it also posted test scores equal to or better than a dozen antivirus programs you'd have to pay for.
... I been using it since release, no bother. ;)

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks Crazylegs :thumb:

Mucks, yes, I did follow that thread :thumb: and it is one of the reasons why I decided to give MSE a try on Vista.. :nod: Have already downloaded it, so will install it later.

I did like the look of the latest version of Avast. Seriously thinking of giving that one a go with XP - mainly because Avira has a tendency to keep throwing up false positives. The large splash ad is also a tad annoying (though a very minor grumble.)

It will be interesting to see how each one fares :D

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have MSE on my XP machine and it runs sweet as can be, I also had it on my Windows 7 machine and it spent more time crashing than actually doing any work. I would stick with KIS.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It always amuses me when people recommend an AV program simply because they've had no problems with it. The only time you'll find a product's worth in the case of AV software is when you actually get a problem.

And how a product looks is worthless imo, that's just a candy coating on the engine, so to speak.

When choosing an AV program only two things will influence me - independent extensive testing of multi products by people who have exposed each program to a series of nasties and my own testing of each product.

I've mentioned this before but a couple of years ago I installed Win XP Pro with all updates via Acronis True Image onto a removable hard disk and tried three free AV programs - Antivir, Avast and AVG. I then answered iffy e-mails and opened their attachments and browsed some seriously dodgy websites until my OS became infected.

AVG and Avast quickly fell at the third hurdle or so whereas Antvir lasted some considerable time before falling foul and did stop and remove those which the other two had missed.

So at the time I went with Antivir and I have it running in Win XP, Win Vista and Win 7. The update popup is extremely annoying I must admit, especially if I'm in the middle of an online game of Call Of Duty as the Antvir update sometimes causes it to crash to the task bar. There are ways to disable the popup but no sooner than a solution is found, it seems, Antivir change their product via an update to overcome the block.

I have read of Antivir throwing up false positives but it's rarely happened to me.

However, my own testing was two years ago which in the world of anti virus software is a lifetime. Things change, the competition between AV software compilers is intense and the usefulness of each product will vary on an almost weekly basis.

So it's time to reconsider methinks. I'm open to trying anything as long as it's free, I don't see the point in paying for software when a free product can do the same job. AV software suppliers give away free lite editions of their software as it's a good way of receiving user feedback and that enables them to hopefully keep ahead of the viruses in the wild and thus stay competitive enough to sell full editions of their program.

That's the reasoning behind free AV software, none of the suppliers are that charitable to actually give away a product where they have to pay employees wages to keep their product updated.

MSE is a new one on me, is it free? I shall enquire.

I may try several AV programs again with another test if I can muster up the enthusiasm.

In the last two years on all three Windows' OS's Antivir has caught and cured a few minor nasties, as have Superantispyware and Malwarebytes, but nothing serious as far as I could tell.

I wouldn't recommend any AV software until I'd seen it actually do it's job which I think is the best criteria for reccomendation.

My shiny shilling's worth, as it were ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
MSE is a new one on me, is it free? I shall enquire.

Yes Sir Flops, MSE is indeed free :thumb: LINKY for you :)

Regarding false positives, for some reason, Antivir seems to have a dislike of our HP printer software - or bits of it, that is. I know it is only doing its job and to be honest, its interface is very user-friendly (even quite like Luke Filewalker, lol.)

KIS has done an excellent job - probably. But have to say, I still find it a bit confusing to use - even after three years. I have never found it to be quite so intuitive as certain other apps.

Can't help feeling that if an AV, firewall or combo are to be effective, it helps, imho, if the user can get a grasp of how the settings work.

I will get bricks thrown at me for saying this.... but, re firewalls, good old Zone Alarm (ouch!!) has successfully protected our XP PC for years. Recently it has undergone some changes and regained some credibility again, or so it would seem:

"The bottom line: ZoneAlarm Firewall Free 9.2 has gotten quieter and more effective, and should be considered an excellent tool for replacing the adequate default Windows firewall with a stronger option that includes better outbound protection, antiphishing guards, and ZoneAlarm's behavioral detection network.

The changes made to improve the default firewall in Windows 7 are impressive, but the newest version of the free ZoneAlarm Firewall argues that Microsoft still has a long way to go. ZoneAlarm 9.2 introduces multiple new features to one of the world's oldest computer security programs including quieter outbound protection, behavioral detection from the ZoneAlarm Internet security suite, automatic Wi-Fi security setting activation, antiphishing protection, an overhauled ZoneAlarm toolbar, and 2GB of online storage for free. "
CNET review.

BUT ..... it apparently does NOT play nicely with MSE (or so I have read of other folks' experiences when I Googled.) To be fair, Microsoft probably intend that MSE should be used in combo with its own firewalls (in Vista and Win 7.) Fair enough.
:)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Taffycat said:

.... but, re firewalls, good old Zone Alarm (ouch!!) has successfully protected our XP PC for years. .

What's wrong with good old Windows firewall, i've never had a problem with it.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Looking at all the options in this thread and the new MSE AV which I have not tried, I still think the new Avast 5 is a better solution than most of the other free AV out there and some paid stuff too..

I have done extensive testing on my own systems at home and on laptops of various performance from netbooks to my own powerful Sony Vaio laptop. KIS I wouldn't pay a penny for and regardless of all the awards its won and user reviews, my own experience in dealing with KIS leaves a bitter taste in the mouth, had so many pc's bought to me with viruses and other problems which KIS missed, just running Superantispyware found and eradicated more trojans and nasties than even KIS could pick up and that was running in safe mode too..This has happened on various machines and at various times...

Have run Anitvir and Avira with good results, but Avast always seemed to come out on top in the user stakes with announced Antivirus definitions which a lot of friends and people like, and is easy to use just set and forget, most peeps out there haven't got the time or the inclination to run umpteen AV's to find oit which is the better, they just want an easy simple solution to keep them relatively safe, yes the odd nasty is always gonna pass through somehow, whether its let in by the user unknowingly or not, but in most cases its sometimes down to the userbility of the AV which doesn't allow the average joe to know whether what he is doing is right or not..

So many good recommendations from all I know who are using Avast and they all say they would never go back to there old AV's now they have tried this..

Thats my take...They all do a muchness but some are easier for the majority to handle and maintain on there systems..

Although I will be taking a look at the new MSe now and will let you know my take when I have done some testing with it, thats not just Virus detection and removal, it will be the whole user experience, windows intergration, system performance and userbility..

muckshifter

Reaction score
My sister likes her new antivirus program. :p

:wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
My sister likes her new antivirus program. :p

Thumbs-up from me too so far. It installed very quickly and easily (I removed KIS first, as per advice :thumb: )

Amongst other things, I like the fact that it can be set to make a restore point before it cleans any suspicious files.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I must confess to feeling a tad confused now.

I listen to what everybody says, lean a little on my own experiences but most importantly of all keep an open mind without any bias.

When people just state simply 'XXXXX is the best av program' I ignore it totally as the remark is without any real foundation. When folks give real time experience and most especially of problems solved, I sit up and pay attention.

From feedback received in this thread I intend to uninstall Antivir on two machines and try Avast and MSE (wasn't MSE some eightie's yuppie disease?).

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
MSE (wasn't MSE some eightie's yuppie disease?).

Nah, that was ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) sometimes called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Don't think that will stop viruses. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
just to clear something up ... I don't make software recommendations, especially when it comes to important ones like an AV program, without thougherly testing it meself. I do my research and if I'm not too sure, I'll bung it on my test PC.

I was initially stating that there is another "free" AV offering that has received good reports from them that know, as I kept seeing the same offering being put forward I just kept pointing out that fact ... nuf said.

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
My KIS is due for renewal in a couple of days, but this time I thought I might give Microsoft Security Essentials a go, along with the Vista firewall(?)

I know that KIS will have to be uninstalled, but I just wondered whether it would be possible to temporarily disable it just long enough to find out whether MSE is problem-free?

My reasoning being that if KIS is not running, but still technically available, it would be quick and easy to reinstate it if, for any reason, MSE didn't suit.

Thank you for looking :D

I`m in the same position as you Taffycat,my security sysyem is coming up for renewal in the next few days. Infact I`ve all ready taken off the old one, I`ll install the new one when the time comes. But I`ve found that since I`ve taken it off my computer is very much faster much to my surprise and plesure. I have still go on my computer "SuperAntiSpyware" and Micro softs "Defender" Now what I`m asking myself is,do I really need another one which is going to cost me £39 pounds to up grade for a year? I don`t know what to do. Any advice.
historian

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
historian said:
I`m in the same position as you Taffycat,my security sysyem is coming up for renewal in the next few days. Infact I`ve all ready taken off the old one, I`ll install the new one when the time comes. But I`ve found that since I`ve taken it off my computer is very much faster much to my surprise and plesure. I have still go on my computer "SuperAntiSpyware" and Micro softs "Defender" Now what I`m asking myself is,do I really need another one which is going to cost me £39 pounds to up grade for a year? I don`t know what to do. Any advice.
historian

As others here, have said, SuperAntiSpyware and Defender, are not Antivirus programmes, so it really would be best to get another AV to protect your PC.

Why not try one of the free AVs this time? I previously was using a paid-for AV, but am finding Microsoft's "Security Essentials" to be very good, or you might prefer Antivir or Avast 5 (as recommended above.)
:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
historian said:
historian

I haven't paid for AV software since I stopped using Nortons around 2003. Nortons was actually quite good prior to that time.

Since then, running an average of four machines, I've had to do one reinstall because of a virus which to my mind is a fair track record.

I've installed Avast 5 on one machine for now, mostly because crazylegs and V_R seem so fond of it, but I haven't done any testing yet.

I would say install Avast 5 for a while, if you're happy, keep it, if not then pay 39 quid for Kaspersky or NOD 32.

Whilst I'm rabbitting, still haven't used MSE.

Ask a Question