7 setup for gaming tips needed

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well I finally took the plunge and backed up all me stuff and am now ready to retire XP. I'll be sad to see it go as it worked very well for me.

So I'm looking for tweaks to make me 7 go as fast as possible with safety.

I'll mainly be using 7 for gaming with some sufing.

So what can I stop or strip out to get maximum frame rates folks.

I read the recent thread on Steam transfers so I think that I have that covered.

All tried and tested tips will be most appreciated and glasses of mulled wine and mince pies will be freely available.

:D

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I'd say leave 7 how it is if you have a decent rig. There again I probably don't qualify to comment because I am not much of a gamer. Funny that I have XP on 1 machine and 7 on my big rig, but I still seem to spend most of the time on XP. Suppose its what you are used to.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good choice mate, I really like Windows 7 - although it does take a little getting used to at first! :)

What is your current PC spec? If you've got SSDs there are some specific tweaks to W7 that you can perform, otherwise it runs pretty well out of the box.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Took you long enough! :eek:

You went 64 bit right? ;)

Tbh, you really dont need to do anything to Win7, aside from what Ian mentioned regarding SSD's. It takes care of just about everything.

The most 'tweaking' i did was patching the uxtheme.dll etc and adding a theme. :)

Getting it set up how you like it on the other hand is just down to your own pref's....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe Wireless
AMD Athlon64 X2 5600+ Dual Core
Thermalright 120 Ultra eXtreme heatsink
100 GB F3 in Raid 0 for 7 64Bit gaming (from the mobo)
100 GB F3 for anArchy (might be 500 GB)
Corsair 520 HX PSU
4 GB Geil Black Dragon PC 6400
Asus ENGTX 460 TOP x 2 for SLI
Obviously a home made case design has to be finalised, don't hold your breath
laughingsmiley.gif

Don't I need to do something with the UKY thingy in 7 ? Wont be doing anything to 7 apart from a decent wallpaper as I'll be too busy anArchying and playing games
nod.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice rig, though you could do with a quad to give them 460's a little room to breath. ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
V_R said:
Nice rig, though you could do with a quad to give them 460's a little room to breath. ;)

Ta. Thought the cpu might be a bottleneck so will try to clock it some in a while, read that the 5600 has the potential to get to 3.7 Ghz. Have more loot now so if I burn out I can get a replacement.
Was more concerned that me psu might not stand the pace. :D

Ask a Question