Game Emulators for Windows 10

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Is anybody running one successfully? I searched around and downloaded one named Mednafen but can't seem to set it up.

I last ran an emulator successfully in Win XP and somewhere around here I have a whole bunch of game ROMS that worked well within whatever emulator I was using at the time.

The only console I ever used back in the day was a Sega Megadrive that ran cartridges but I had other ROMS like the Donkey Kong series that worked well in an emulator.

And I suddenly had a yen to play some of those old games again, perhaps I'm pregnant and I'll start eating coal next.

What sparked this was seeing Steam are selling Commander Keen for 54p but a search showed it was actually available for free as abandonware on sites such as SourceForge.

If anybody has any good advice and perhaps knows how to set up Mednafen, I'm all ears.

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
Have you tried the PCSX2 - Playstation 2 Emulator? It worked like magic on my laptop back a couple years ago.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've never heard of that emulator before unfortunately, so can't give any specific advice. However, I had a bit of a Google and found some good YouTube tutorials that may help:

Am I correct in thinking that you set up RertoArch a while back? Or what that @Abarbarian?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking that you set up RertoArch a while back? Or what that @Abarbarian?

That would probably have been me mentioning it in one of my posts.

You can install Retro Arch on any penguin box. Probably the easiest way is via a Flatpak which should be a doddle to do in MInt.

https://www.retroarch.com/index.php?page=linux-instructions

:cool:

Here are detailed guides for installing on a penguin,

How To Install and Use RetroArch on Linux

an of course RetroArch is cross platform,

https://www.retroarch.com/?page=platforms

Cross Platform
RetroArch can run on the usual platforms like Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, but it stands alone in that it can support far more platforms beyond just that.

We support operating systems that not even Microsoft and Apple themselves support anymore, such as macOS X on PowerPC Macs, and RetroArch being available on Windows OSes as far back as Windows 95.

On top of all that, RetroArch also runs on iOS and Android for tablets and phones, as well as on game consoles like PS2, PS3, PSP, PS Vita, Wii, Wii U, 2DS, 3DS, Switch, and more!

The current stable version is: 1.7.7

There is probably a Docker version too but I can not be bothered searching any more,

:cool:

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, for some reason I didn't receive email notifications of them so didn't know I'd received replies, I'm using Thunderbird in Win 10.

I'll check out RetroArch, thanks. I found my ROMS btw, they're mostly Sega Megadrive but there's a few Nintendo ones there as well.