2000 Windows Messenger points to NetMeeting, XP Messenger does not

Peter Sale

An associate of mine is running Windows Messenger Version 4.7 under Windows 2000. Under his Windows Messenger Actions menu appears a selection for starting NetMeeting. When he chooses NetMeeting, he can simply indicate that he wants to NetMeeting with me, or anyone else who is "Online" to his Windows Messenger at the time. All I need do is accept his invitation when it appears in my Windows Messenger.

On the other hand, I'm running Windows Messenger Version 4.7 under Windows XP Professional. My Windows Messenger Actions menu does not include a choice for NetMeeting. Instead I must manually start a NetMeeting session via Conf.exe. I can then "dial" my friend by keying in his computer's IP address. I would rather be able to start a NetMeeting and add people from my Windows Messenger "Online" contact list. Is there a way to do this in a Windows Messenger running under XP Professional?

Brian Sullivan MVP

"Peter Sale" <psale at attglobal dot net> wrote in message An associate of mine is running Windows Messenger Version 4.7 under Windows 2000. Under his Windows Messenger Actions menu appears a selection for starting NetMeeting. When he chooses NetMeeting, he can simply indicate that he wants to NetMeeting with me, or anyone else who is "Online" to his Windows Messenger at the time. All I need do is accept his invitation when it appears in my Windows Messenger.

On the other hand, I'm running Windows Messenger Version 4.7 under Windows XP Professional. My Windows Messenger Actions menu does not include a choice for NetMeeting. Instead I must manually start a NetMeeting session via Conf.exe. I can then "dial" my friend by keying in his computer's IP address. I would rather be able to start a NetMeeting and add people from my Windows Messenger "Online" contact list. Is there a way to do this in a Windows Messenger running under XP Professional?

All versions of Messenger (except Msn Messenger 6.x) can be configured to have the "Start NetMeeting" feature. http://www.meetingbywire.com/XPNetMeeting.htm has information.

Peter Sale

Hi Brian,
Many thanks for the quick response. I implemented the recommendation to run Windows Messenger 4.7 in Compatibility mode, in my case for Windows 2000, detailed at http://www.meetingbywire.com/XPNetMeeting.htm . This seemed to work, sort of. After specifying that I wanted to "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 2000", I started "Windows Messenger 4.7" and attempted to logon to it with my existing .NET userid and password. I put quotes around "Windows Messenger 4.7" because what seemed to start up was MSN Messenger 4.7, not Windows Messenger 4.7. In any case, my .Net userid and password would not get me into this MSN (or is it Windows) Messenger 4.7. That's the bad news. The good news is that while I could not logon to this MSN Messenger, when I pulled down the Actions menu there was NetMeeting.

Any additional pointers about how to get past this MSN Messenger sign in issue would be appreciated.

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA

"Peter Sale" <psale at attglobal dot net> wrote in message Hi Brian,
Many thanks for the quick response. I implemented the recommendation to run Windows Messenger 4.7 in Compatibility mode, in my case for Windows 2000, detailed at http://www.meetingbywire.com/XPNetMeeting.htm .. This seemed to work, sort of. After specifying that I wanted to "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 2000", I started "Windows Messenger 4.7" and attempted to logon to it with my existing ..NET userid and password. I put quotes around "Windows Messenger 4.7" because what seemed to start up was MSN Messenger 4.7, not Windows Messenger 4.7.

I don't know what would cause that -- how did you determine that it was MSN and not Windows Messenger --what does the help about say?

In any case, my .Net userid and password would not get me into this MSN (or is it Windows) Messenger 4.7. That's the bad news. The good news is that while I could not logon to this MSN Messenger, when I pulled down the Actions menu there was NetMeeting.

I don't think the compatiblity mode change should affect that ( but I haven't tried in a while). Is there some reason why you are not running Windows Messenger 5.x?

Any additional pointers about how to get past this MSN Messenger sign in issue would be appreciated.

Peter Sale

Hi Brian,
My answers appear below in blue, following "Ans:."

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA

"Peter Sale" wrote ...
Hi Brian,
Many thanks for the quick response. I implemented the recommendation to run Windows Messenger 4.7 in Compatibility mode, in my case for Windows 2000, detailed at http://www.meetingbywire.com/XPNetMeeting.htm . This seemed to work, sort of. After specifying that I wanted to "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 2000", I started "Windows Messenger 4.7" and attempted to logon to it with my existing .NET userid and password. I put quotes around "Windows Messenger 4.7" because what seemed to start up was MSN Messenger 4.7, not Windows Messenger 4.7.

I don't know what would cause that -- how did you determine that it was MSN and not Windows Messenger --what does the help about say?
Ans: I determined it via the MSN Messenger sign-in dialog. Help about continues to say Windows Messenger version 4.7.

In any case, my .Net userid and password would not get me into this MSN (or is it Windows) Messenger 4.7. That's the bad news. The good news is that while I could not logon to this MSN Messenger, when I pulled down the Actions menu there was NetMeeting.

I don't think the compatiblity mode change should affect that ( but I haven't tried in a while). Is there some reason why you are not running Windows Messenger 5.x?
Ans: Yes, the Windows Messenger 4.7 is what came installed with my Windows XP Professional. I have performed a number of Windows Updates and so far none has updated Windows Messenger from 4.7 to 5.x. In fact, I didn't even know there was a "Windows Messenger version 5.x." I just don't want to inadvertantly "update" my Windows Messenger 4.7 "back" to MSN Messenger version xxx.

Any additional pointers about how to get past this MSN Messenger sign in issue would be appreciated.

Brian Sullivan MVP

If you post in plain text it makes it much easier to post and reply. Avoid
Html postings -- most newsgroup users frown upon that kind of positng.

Many thanks for the quick response. I implemented the recommendation to
run Windows Messenger 4.7 in Compatibility > mode, in my case for Windows
2000, detailed at http://www.meetingbywire.com/XPNetMeeting.htm . This
seemed to
work, sort of. After specifying that I wanted to "Run this program in
compatibility mode for: Windows 2000", I started
"Windows Messenger 4.7" and attempted to logon to it with my existing .NET
userid and password. I put quotes around >"Windows Messenger 4.7" because
what seemed to start up was MSN Messenger 4.7, not Windows Messenger 4.7.

I don't know what would cause that -- how did you determine that it was
MSN and not Windows Messenger --what does the help about say?
Ans: I determined it via the MSN Messenger sign-in dialog. Help about
continues to say Windows Messenger version 4.7.

Thene it was Windows Messenger -- I am not sure what causes you to think it
was Msn Messenger.

In any case, my .Net userid and password would not get me into this MSN
(or is it Windows) Messenger 4.7. That's the > bad news. The good news is
that while I could not logon to this MSN Messenger, when I pulled down the
Actions menu > there was NetMeeting.

I am still confused -- there is no reason why Msn Messenger or Windows
Messenger would be any different here -- both can use the .NET login.

What happens if you disable the compatibility mode?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/windowsmessenger/ has the latest WM

Any additional pointers about how to get past this MSN Messenger sign in
issue would be appreciated.

I am not exactly sure what the issue is so I can't offer any insight.

Peter Sale

Hi Brian,
My answer and/or Reponses appear below.

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA

If you post in plain text it makes it much easier to post and reply. Avoid
Html postings -- most newsgroup users frown upon that kind of positng.

Response: I just now configured my Outlook Express to compose Newsgroup
MSN and not Windows Messenger --what does the help about say?
Ans: I determined it via the MSN Messenger sign-in dialog. Help about
continues to say Windows Messenger version 4.7.

Thene it was Windows Messenger -- I am not sure what causes you to think it
was Msn Messenger.

Response: As I mentioned in a previouse post, what caused me to think I was
running MSN Messenger were the words "MSN Messenger" that appeared in the
Messenger sign-on dialog after I had configured Windows Messenger to run in
Windows 2000 compatibility mode. That is, the Messenger sign-on dialog was
displaying "MSN Messenger," not "Windows Messenger." Prior to
re-configuring Windows Messenger to run in Windows 2000 Compatibility mode
the Messenger sign-on dialog displayed "Windows Messenger." However, both
before and after I re-configured Windows Messenger, the sign-on dialog's
"Help About" displayed Windows Messenger Version 4.7.
I am still confused -- there is no reason why Msn Messenger or Windows
Messenger would be any different here -- both can use the .NET login.

What happens if you disable the compatibility mode?

Answer: If I disable Windows 2000 compatibility mode, then I can again logon
to Windows Messenger 4.7 and chat away without any problem. I just can't
start a NetMeeting session with any of the folks online to my Windows
Messenger session.

Response: I surfed on over to above URL and downloaded and installed "most
current" version of Windows Messenger. At least according to above site,
version 4.7 is the most current version
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp .
issue would be appreciated.

I am not exactly sure what the issue is so I can't offer any insight.

Response: You and me both. Your suggestion should have worked. At the very
least I should have been able to logon to the Compatibility Version of
Windows Messenger. But I can not get past the Compatibility Mode Windows
Messenger sign-on panel. Perhaps this problem has something to do with my
XP Firewall or the NAT firewall built in to my router?

Brian Sullivan MVP

Peter said:
Response: As I mentioned in a previouse post, what caused me to think
I was running MSN Messenger were the words "MSN Messenger" that
appeared in the Messenger sign-on dialog after I had configured
Windows Messenger to run in Windows 2000 compatibility mode. That
is, the Messenger sign-on dialog was displaying "MSN Messenger," not
"Windows Messenger." Prior to re-configuring Windows Messenger to
run in Windows 2000 Compatibility mode the Messenger sign-on dialog
displayed "Windows Messenger." However, both before and after I
re-configured Windows Messenger, the sign-on dialog's "Help About"
displayed Windows Messenger Version 4.7.

I can't say as I noticed that difference -- but what you are running is
still Windows Messenger.

Answer: If I disable Windows 2000 compatibility mode, then I can
again logon to Windows Messenger 4.7 and chat away without any
problem. I just can't start a NetMeeting session with any of the
folks online to my Windows Messenger session.

Response: I surfed on over to above URL and downloaded and installed
"most current" version of Windows Messenger. At least according to
above site, version 4.7 is the most current version
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp .

Response: You and me both. Your suggestion should have worked. At
the very least I should have been able to logon to the Compatibility
Version of Windows Messenger. But I can not get past the
Compatibility Mode Windows Messenger sign-on panel. Perhaps this
problem has something to do with my XP Firewall or the NAT firewall
built in to my router?

If you are behind a NAT router you will not be able to use Messenger to
initiate the call anyway -- regardless of the version so your efforts are in
vain.