In XP is Netmeeting replaced by Remote Desktop?

P

Peter Sale

Back in the days of Windows 98SE and Windows NT I used Netmeeting all the time. It was a very useful little application. Since upgrading from 98SE to XP Pro I have not had occasion to use Netmeeting. A few weeks ago I did start using Remote Assistance for some of the tasks that I previously used Net Meeting for. Now I have a job that is better served by Netmeeting, but before I attempted to configure and run CONF.EXE on my XP Pro system, I was wondering if there is a better solution available in XP for Netmeeting sort of tasks besides Netmeeting?

D

David Candy

Depends on the task. Messenger/Remote Desktop/Remote Assistance mostly but not completely replaces netmeeting.

M

Mike

nope!

Start - Run - conf.exe
"Peter Sale" <psale at attglobal dot net> wrote in message Back in the days of Windows 98SE and Windows NT I used Netmeeting all the time. It was a very useful little application. Since upgrading from 98SE to XP Pro I have not had occasion to use Netmeeting. A few weeks ago I did start using Remote Assistance for some of the tasks that I previously used Net Meeting for. Now I have a job that is better served by Netmeeting, but before I attempted to configure and run CONF.EXE on my XP Pro system, I was wondering if there is a better solution available in XP for Netmeeting sort of tasks besides Netmeeting?

R

Rob Schneider

Netmeeting is still there. They just didnt' put it on the menus. Run
"conf.exe" program.

Microsoft is moving on and has retired NetMeeting. Replaced with
Messenger (not complete repleacments) and some for-pay services called
"Live Meeting".

See http://office.microsoft.com/home/office.aspx?assetid=FX010909711033

IMHO NetMeeting is still the "best" for doing what it does. I mourn
it's passing and the lost potential. If you are seeking a strategic
solution, guess Live Meeting or it's competitors is the way forward.
Meantime, I would recommend taking the 2-minutes out of your life to get
NetMeeting setup.

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

Ask a Question